INSULATION

View previous topic View next topic Go down

INSULATION

Post by NORGIL on Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:31 pm

Has anyone sucessfully insulated the underside of a Clubman or other monocoque from beneath the vehicle. If so what material did you use and how did you secure it to the vehicle?

I have access to a garage and ramps over a weekend and am wondering if its a feasible thing to do.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: INSULATION

Post by bikeralw on Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:15 pm

I had a friend who did something like this to his (not AS MH). All was good till it came to MoT time when it failed because of his additions. He is an engineer, so I have no doubt he had done a good job, but as is the case with things these days, modifications like this usually have to be carried out by approved professionals with the correct documentation.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davey on Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:29 pm

I have started to insulate the under side,I have started with the wheel arches as trial I used 25mm kingspan which  can bought in 8x4 sheets from your local builders merchants. I chose the 25mm thick approx £12 a sheet .It cuts easy with a stanley knife and glued it with gripfil also bought a builders merchant.This has been on for 2 years and is still in place we been in hot temps and cold and all is fine and has passed 2 mots.Will start the underside in the spring will have to drop fresh and waste tanks,will glue and secure with several
 s/s screws with button washers hope this is some help
davey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:24 pm

Cheers davey, that sounds just what i was looking at, did you strip back the underside before you glued on the kingspan?

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:34 pm

I personally would not consider gluing it, because I reckon you have to accept that there will be gaps that road spray will get into. This will carry in road grit which will accumulate and which will trap water. In order to stop this from corroding away the underside you will need a good, thick layer of anti-rust protector, which glue does not generally stick well to.

If you don't believe me about the road grit, try taking off the undertrays that are fitted to a VW T5 that has been on the road for a few years - you are likely to find (as I have recently) that they are covered inside with heaps of damp gritty soil.
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:04 pm

-mojo- wrote:If you don't believe me about the road grit, try taking off the undertrays that are fitted to a VW T5 that has been on the road for a few years - you are likely to find (as I have recently) that they are covered inside with heaps of damp gritty soil.
I can't comment on these modern VWs but my T25/T3 had a factory fitted foam panel of some kind on the rear bulkhead. Engine noise deadening I assume. I removed this to fit a modified R&R bed and couldn't believe the corrosion behind it. I never put it back.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:55 pm

The Mk5 Transits had a (probably similar) foam-filled "blanket" on the front bulkhead, behind the engine - for the same purpose. It caused exactly the same corrosion problems, and was often the cause of the inner wheel arches disintegrating...
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:25 pm

Thanks to all who are posting. I take onboard the comments about corrosion, last thing i want is to solve one problem by creating another one thats even worse !

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davey on Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:59 pm

Hi
This  will not be a problem as the monocoque shell is bonded to a plywood floor which is then bolted to the chassis unlike a PVC which is a complete steel floor.
In answer to should you clean the plywood yes it will help to remove dirt and grit you could also seal all the joints with a silicone type sealer 

Dave
davey
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:26 pm

Thanks again Dave, I have only recently bought the Clubman and have to confess to knowing little about it's construction, which is why I was hoping to steal some experience from such as yourself.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamponi on Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:47 am

It does look like the floor is made of ply.
Reckon you could screw up some sheets of celotex then blanket the tanks.
All the pipes would want lagging too.
I'm slowly stuffing in additional insulation everywhere I can.
Just lined the habitation door & backs of the ab door cards with the foil/bubble wrap type insulation.
Had the battery compartment apart (fitting central locking to all the doors) so I got some on the back of the van too & lagged the water pipes.
Pamponi

Male

Member Age : 42
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:52 am

Years ago I worked in the caravan industry in those days they wrapped polystyrene sheet in black plastic and screwed battens underneath and through into plywood floors to insulate. Don't advise use of polystyrene as highly flammable, but sheets of something non flammable ought to be simply fitted in the same way. Brass screws or stainless on a softwood batten ought to be a simple methodology to use. Wish I could find a place to get mine up in the air to do something like that.  up!
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davey on Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:01 am

Hi I know what you mean that is why I will have to wait until spring to complete the job, I have to large sets of leveling ramps  ( the big black ones) and some 1.5" foam too lay on, not the best method but better than none

Dave
davey
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum