its going to get cold

View previous topic View next topic Go down

its going to get cold

Post by nerdycross on Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:27 pm

We are contemplating taking the motohome the Austria for a ski trip in the new year .Has anyone done the same with a Talisman  if so what preparation did you  do with the van? We went in a different make last time a number of years ago and all though we had insulated  water tank everything froze and heating packed up too ,it was -15 to -25 some days. Any advice would be great.

nerdycross

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: its going to get cold

Post by fenderbender on Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Minus 25! I'm shivering just reading this. My advice would be to stay in bed till april ;-)
Sorry cant be more helpful, i'm sure some proper advice will come along shortly. Good luck.

Dave
fenderbender

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nerdycross on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks Dave 
-25 was on top of  a ski slope in schadmin but was still bit brass in 
The village.  hugegrins

nerdycross

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:20 pm

nerdycross wrote:We are contemplating taking the motohome the Austria for a ski trip in the new year .Has anyone done the same with a Talisman  if so what preparation did you  do with the van? We went in a different make last time a number of years ago and all though we had insulated  water tank everything froze and heating packed up too ,it was -15 to -25 some days. Any advice would be great.
I think I would make sure that any water I was using was inside the van......5 ltr fresh water containers (forget the underneath tank)       confused3
Leave the waste tank, draining permanently into some sort of container.......bucket, waste wheeled tank.       scratch head
Plenty of gas (propane)......plus electric fire, fan heater, or oil radiator.....assuming you'll be on hook up.
Good sleeping bags, or down duvets, with a light blanket or two.
We came through Yugoslavia in 1983.....Woke up in the morning, about 150 miles north of the Greek border, to a 3 foot blanket or snow. Tried to get going and the summer diesel we'd filled up with in Greece had separated..... shrugg ...finished up putting some petrol from the outboard engine tank, into the diesel, and stirring it all up, which got us to the fuel depot, to fill up with winter diesel, about 25 miles up the road...........Oops !!  plenty of money, but no coupons...... lol4 ....but that's another story.   Make sure you've got winter diesel.   allthumbz
                                                                                                                                                     Best of luck,          Ian.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:25 pm

Err !!    Don't forget the snow chains................ hugegrins hugegrins
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GWAYGWAY on Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:20 pm

At what temperature does the gas tank give up and stay liquid?   I would not fancy losing the heater and then having the diesel tank gel up. It turns to wax and that is that.Filter blocked no go at all from then on.
GWAYGWAY

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:29 pm

Butane is not much good below +5C. Pure Propane is good to -45C, but bottled "Propane" is usually a mixture with some Butane, so -30C ish.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum