The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sprinter fuse removal

3 posters

Go down

Sprinter fuse removal Empty Sprinter fuse removal

Post by hblewett Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:37 pm

This seems like a dumb thing to be asking, but I am struggling to replace the 25 amp fuse on our 2011 Sprinter.

The fuses are in a very inaccessible place, and the 25 amp fuse [for the central cab 12v socket] is positioned up at the top of the fuse board. It is of a different design to the 'normal' spade fuses, much larger, and seems to be tight in its own housing.

While I can get my fingers on to it, it does not budge; attempts to move it with a pair of pliers only resulted in pulling the front off the fuse!

Any suggestions as to how to get the thing out would be gratefully received, thanks.
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Sprinter fuse removal Empty Re: Sprinter fuse removal

Post by -mojo- Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:48 pm

If you're not in a hurry, go onto Ebay and type in "fuse removal tool" and you will find that cheapest are £1, shipped all the way from HK. They are double-ended - one end deals with the smallest types and the other the larger ones. If you're in a bit more of a hurry, buy one of the ones from the UK and you will pay more like about £1.80, shipped.

If you want one quickly, try Halfords - they had them last time I looked.

If you are desperate, take a pair of tweezers and bend the last couple of mm of each end inward through 90 degrees and that should work - though be aware of using metal close to electrical contacts.

Oh - and check the most accessible of the fuse boxes, as some makers include a small plastic fuse puller, clipped into a recess in the fuse box...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:55 am

Mine is 2011 also. I've just been and removed and replaced the fuse with fingers with no problem at all. If you have blown your fuse it may have 'fused' the blades to the holder?

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by hblewett Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:32 pm

Thanks for all the helpful comments; problem is now solved smile! 

Having learned that there should be no problem, I had another tug at the fuse, but with no joy.  I took it round to our local friendly garage today - 1st chap couldn't shift it either, but his mate obviously had the better grip and managed to pull it out.

New fuse fitted and all is working again.  Why it should have been so difficult in a 4 year-old van I've no idea; there was no corrosion or anything else to be seen anywhere?!
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down