Gatcombe - wet carpet

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gatcombe - wet carpet

Post by RogerB on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:38 pm

Discovered wet carpet in my Gatcombe.

Wet patch between the two cab seats and between the bench seats. Wet carpet extends under the driver's side bench seat.

I've checked the plumbing around the pump and water heater - this all seems OK with no obvious leaks.

I wondered whether anyone else has experienced this - could it be a leaking window seal on the large offside window? If so, is this easy to fix (DIY) or a workshop / dealer job ?

All help / advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger
RogerB

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gatcombe - wet carpet

Post by Paulmold on Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tallboy on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Hi Roger,
Your description of the wet carpets sounds very much like mine when the water heater suffered frost damage a few years ago- we were using the van at the time but it got incredibly cold overnight. I checked the plumbing and pump but couldn't find any fault, and it wasn't until we got home where I could have a really good look that I found the aluminium cylinder had distorted. Fortunately the local MH dealer had a contact in a nearby boilermakers who were able to restore the cylinder and refit it for around £180. A new heater would cost 4 or 5 times as much, so I'm very careful with it now!
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '99 T4 Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davey on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi Rodger

We had a wet carpet between the cab seats and in the very front of the lounge area,it turnout to be water coming in  around the lounge window,which then ran down the side wall and found it,s way to the floor

Dave
davey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerB on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Dave,

Thanks for your post - exactly what has occurred in our vehicle and I have found dampness behind the interior panel beneath the window.

How did you solve the problem ?

Roger
RogerB

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by davey on Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:59 pm

Hi Rodger

I took it to my local caravan workshop and they reseal the window frame on the outside.But before you go  down that road I would suggest that you place a piece of kitchen towel on the inside window frame in the corner nearest to the cab,and check the towel after heavy rain, this how we confirmed where the water was entering the motorhome.Hope this helps

Dave
davey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:02 pm

I had the problem in my Anniversary Clubman, it was from the lounge windows, dealer replaced both windows and  the seals also  replaced the seals on kitchen and loo, to be sure. AS have changed the design of the seals to rectify that problem.

Hope you get it sorted, I was pleased that mine was done under warranty, as the windows are not cheap by any means.

I didn`t have wet carpets in cab or lounge just a bit under the OS seat, which was dried out.

Last edited by daisy mae on Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : no wet carpets)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerB on Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:00 pm

Final update (hopefully).

Took the Gatcombe to my local dealer who confirmed the window seal had perished (seems this is not an uncommon problem). Seal replaced and all other seals checked out OK. Repair cost £120 + VAT (mostly labour!).

As an aside, we had previously had the vehicle valeted externally - this included pressure washing (just before the leak became apparent). I learned from a caravanning friend that pressure washing can penetrate / damage window seals - so perhaps a caveat there for future reference. Thanks to all who replied to the thread.

Roger
RogerB

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:10 pm

I was told NEVER use a pressure washer on motorhomes, caravans or cars, so have never done so, not worth the risk.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:22 pm

Thanks for the update Roger.

I've not had the problem (yet!), but it's all good information to tuck away for the future.

Mind you, the way my brain is going I'll just as likely forget it within a few weeks!
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum