TRIM STRIP CAB ROOF TO LUTON CLUBMAN

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TRIM STRIP CAB ROOF TO LUTON CLUBMAN

Post by NORGIL on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi all, I have rust patches appearing on the cab roof of my 2001 Clubman GL, it's quite minor at the moment but needs treating as a preventative measure at least, this is caused by water run off from the black trim strip which fits between the cab roof and the luton overhang of the body. 

To get at the rusted area will require removal of the black trim strip.

I have spoken to Mark at AS who tells me that the strip is both fixed and bonded. The fixings are behind the luton and effectively impossible to access as the strip is basically " L " shaped and the fixings are high into the luton. This also means that if a new strip is purchased it cannot be fitted " as new " . The only way to remove the strip is to cut it off (Mark suggested something such as a Dremel but don't quote that as a recommendation) you just have to choose your own tool! Once removed the strip would have to be replaced using something such as Silkaflex to secure and form a seal.

Mark says the strip is basically cosmetic, although it does have a small function in diverting water, albeit the water would still run off the roof if the strip wasn't there, Personally I will be replacing it just because it looks nicer.

I have seen several references to this issue but no definite answer before. I surely can't be the only one with this problem so hope this helps someone.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TRIM STRIP CAB ROOF TO LUTON CLUBMAN

Post by NORGIL on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:11 pm

Sorry Mods, dont know how I managed to post this twice.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by csx355 on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi There - I bought a Clubman GL  a project earlier in the year that had the same issue (probably worse). I posted pics on here asking for opinions on the viability of the job, I needed to know as the price I paid for the camper depended on it.  Responses ranged from - steer well clear to not really sure. The long and short of it was I bought the van, took it to a body shop that was familiar with commercial vehicles, and they simply sorted it out along with the rest of the work that I wanted done. No fuss no bother.

From what I can gather they cut out what they needed to back to clean metal and replaced, filled and shaped leaving what I thought was an excellent result given the price that I paid, the age of my vehicle, 1994, and what I was expecting to see. 

My van looks good - imho -  it's clean, tidy and serviceable and should the dreaded rot break out again over the next few years - I'll simply get it done again.  My advice take it to a few bodyshops - by local recommendation, and don't worry too much, generally these guys know what they are doing and have seen it all before.

csx355

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:11 pm

Thanks csx355, Mine is just surface rust at the moment, am looking at sorting it myself, the only problem I was concerned about was the removal of the strip. I will just pluck up courage and cut it off carefully, a seal of silkaflex should re-attach it and make it look fine afterwards

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:11 pm

Thanks csx355, Mine is just surface rust at the moment, am looking at sorting it myself, the only problem I was concerned about was the removal of the strip. I will just pluck up courage and cut it off carefully, a seal of silkaflex should re-attach it and make it look fine afterwards

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamponi on Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:18 am

Ah, so it doesn't come off.
Good to know.
Pamponi

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Filsham on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:26 am

I have a 92 clubman GL and I want to wax-oil the area behind the trim strip above the cab from behind/inside the cab. 
I could just inject wax-oil leaving all the cab trim above the windscreen and cab roof edges in situ but I am worried about staining it with the waxoil. 
Has anyone done this? If you have did you remove the trim inside to get access? What is more risk removing the trim or just injecting the wax-oil. girl-thinking
Filsham

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum