The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ?

+14
-mojo-
The Chase
boxerman
dash
bertb
whisky
Dutto
focus
Waves117
DavidT
deckie
Paulmold
roli
CC
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ? - Page 2 Empty exchange callorgas bottles

Post by focus Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:55 am

Hi after being told by my local callor gas stockist (Bonnets of Stoke Ferry) that they where unable to swap a dumpy bottle for a 6.5 kilo bottle I rung callor gas at their Kings Lynn depot to see if this was correct and was told by a member of their sales staff that it was correct and had been their policy for the last few years but they will exchange the dumpy for any other size and also the lights are a £1 dearer but for personal clarification ring your nearest Callor Gas depot regards Debroy
focus
focus

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

Back to top Go down

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ?

Post by Dutto Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi there,

Just asked the following of Calor Gas

Hi there,

I have been a Calor Gas customer for many years (since 1972 I think) and, during this time, I have exchanged the four bottles in my possession as and when required in terms of size (from 3.5kgs to 17kgs) and in terms of content (butane in summer in England and propane in winter in Scotland).

I am a member of an Internet forum (Autosleeper Owners) and there is some consternation with regard to your stockists refusing to change out cylinders other than on a "like-for-like" basis.

Could you please explain Calor Gas's policy on this matter and, if it has been changed from the "any-bottle-for-any-bottle" to the "like-for-like" system, exactly why this has occurred after, to my own knowledge, nearly forty years.

Best regards,

Ian Dutton

I will let you know their reply - and my own response!

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ?

Post by Paulmold Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:16 am

Good luck with that Dutto. I sent two email to them asking why the Calorlite were dearer than the standard when exchanging as both contain 6kg gas and shouldn't it be the gas you pay for. I'm still waiting for a reply, emails were sent 23rd Oct and 2nd Nov.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Does anyone have any experience of BP Gas (Propane) Light bottles? these are available in a 10kg size bottle (better for me than a 6kg lite) and you can get them from Homebase

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I presume the price is a 1st time purchase and not exchange?

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:16 am

CruizingComet wrote:Does anyone have any experience of BP Gas (Propane) Light bottles? these are available in a 10kg size bottle (better for me than a 6kg lite) and you can get them from Homebase

I was working for Dunlop Hiflex when these were introduced and was offered a couple gratis by the rep who supplied our hydraulic oil.
They were originally brought out for patio heaters and the portable gas heaters, but the rep wanted some feedback as to their suitability for motorhomes/caravans.
They were too large to fit in the gas locker so I had to give it a miss .

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ? - Page 2 Empty phone callor gas

Post by focus Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:41 pm

As is aid in my last comments about exchanging bottles phone callor gas head office direct at Warwick and you will get all the information you require about changing bottle they cannot ignore a phone call but can emails regards Debroy.
focus
focus

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:47 pm

focus wrote: they cannot ignore a phone call .

Of course they can! they can do what I do with unwanted calls. Say "just a moment, I'll put you through" then put the receiver on the desktop and walk away - you'll hang up after a while smile!

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ? - Page 2 Empty gas bottles

Post by focus Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:36 pm

phone again until they do give you the answer but if you ring Kings Lynn depot the are always very polite and DO answer your questions regards Debroy
focus
focus

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:42 pm

boxerman wrote:
CruizingComet wrote:Does anyone have any experience of BP Gas (Propane) Light bottles? these are available in a 10kg size bottle (better for me than a 6kg lite) and you can get them from Homebase

I was working for Dunlop Hiflex when these were introduced and was offered a couple gratis by the rep who supplied our hydraulic oil.
They were originally brought out for patio heaters and the portable gas heaters, but the rep wanted some feedback as to their suitability for motorhomes/caravans.
They were too large to fit in the gas locker so I had to give it a miss .

Frank

Hi Frank

The size shouldn't be a problem for us as I understand we can take the 13kg bottles, but the downside is they use a different sized regulator or so I understand. I was interested because we have a Homebase store nearby at Cromer which would be very convenient for us, but also mainly for the bigger size compared to the 6kg Calor lites and because of the visible gas level. BTW, if anyone can tell me why our Calor lite has NOT got the "Gas Trac" gauge I'd be interested to hear? as I thought in addition to the lightness, this was an additional selling point for these bottles!! rolleyes

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chase Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:36 pm

Phoned Calor yesterday and was told that a "Normal" 6K bottle can be exchanged for a "Lite" with no cost apart from the cost of the gas it contains.
Have looked at Go Outdoors and the price of a normal is £18 and a Lite is £19.80 but its the same amount of gas ???.
Will find out later this week if they do in fact do a swop to a Lite.
The Chase
The Chase

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:45 pm

Hi there,

Here it is - the definitive Calor Gas Policy on what you can swap for what!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

They never did get back to me and it appears that different outlets run different Calor Gas exchange systems so:

1. I refuse to buy from the one's that don't honour Calor Gas Policy.

2. MORRISONS Supermarket is the cheapest supplier in the Skegness area.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:30 am

I asked Calor the question as to why the exchange of a 'lite' cylinder was dearer than normal 6kg and they did answer me. They said it was to pay for the investment they had made in the new lite cylinders. Not really a good enough answer when the volumn of gas is the same but there you have it.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by The Chase Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:46 pm

Not sure if its worth paying £2 more for the same amount of gas just to lose a small amount of weight by the bottle being lighter.
The Chase
The Chase

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Thanks for the info - I'd been thinking about swapping to the lite cylinders, but that's made me think again!

I've also been considering the Gaslow self-refill system using cheap autogas. Anyone know any other self-refill options (other than a built-in/built-under cylinder, as these are way too expensive for me) than Gaslow?
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by mikejack Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:19 pm

I have seen this site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] mentioned on here a few times they look cheaper than gaslow.

Mike
mikejack
mikejack

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : medallion
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks Mike - I'll take a look at that. Apologies to the OP for straying a bit away from the original topic!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ? - Page 2 Empty Bottle Issues

Post by Dave 418 Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:14 pm

We have recently bought a Duetto and at the time of buying the dealers swapped the regulator and one bottle to Propane. They gave us one full 3.9 propane bottle and left a part used butane bottle for us to exchange later. From the advice so far I cant see me having trouble swapping the Butain for a Propane bottle. Thanks for the advice. up!
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ? - Page 2 Empty Gas

Post by murph Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi All,
I have just been checking prices of calor versus gasit refillable for a friend who is thinking of buying a van, (Gaslow refillables are dearer) and one 6kg Gasit with contents gauge and filler is only about £20 dearer than 2 6kg calor cylinders when you do not have any empties to exchange. On this basis even if you do not use much gas it will repay its cost compared with calor very quickly. Because the gauge tells you when the cylinder is getting low and you can refill the part full cylinder you do not need a spare and the spare space in the gas locker can be used for other things.
Of course if you have empty calor cylinders to exchange and are on hookup most of the time this idea may not suit you.

2x Calor 6kg no exchange £108 1 x Gasit 6kg cyl £105 +filler £23 carraige free.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:25 am

I'm about to start my butane to propane swap. Found a local dealer who will do a straight swap. Got a propane regulator. Will take my empty butane bottle- get a full propane. Then when my current on-line half full butane one runs out, will put the propane on line and swap the spare for another full propane. up!

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:43 am

Don't forget to keep your butane regulator in the van, just in case!

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:55 am

boxerman wrote:Don't forget to keep your butane regulator in the van, just in case!

Frank
good idea Frank up! was going to do the first swap today but flooded roads all round and can't get to the shop. It can wait smile!

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:39 pm

murph wrote: ............

I have just been checking prices of calor versus gasit refillable ...........

...... Of course if you have empty calor cylinders to exchange and are on hookup most of the time .........

2x Calor 6kg ........ 1 x Gasit 6kg cyl ............ carraige free.

Brian2

Hi there,

It was only after reading Brian extolling the virtues of refillable bottles (yet again Whistle1 ) that I had the thought "Does anyone have an external gas supply to the garden from their house?" confused3

I don't and, as a result, I have 4.5kg (for a small stove) and 13kg (for the smoker) butane bottles littering the garden when I could easily have a piped connection from my domestic supply; assuming that it is allowed!! shrugg

Well?? think_smiley_46

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2