Battery Charger Clubman GL 2001

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Battery Charger Clubman GL 2001

Post by NORGIL on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:38 am

Hi all, First post so sorry if I go wrong and / or it's a dumb question.
Have just got myself a 2001 VW based Clubman GL , The leisure battery is in a compartment basically under the sink on the rear wall. Next to the battery is a charger and a wall mounted switch. I can find no reference to this in the manual for the vehicle. It looks like it was a factory fit. Does anyone know if it is a trickle type charger that I can leave switched on with a 240v hook up or is it for short burst charging ? Its really awkward to get to so I cant see any writing on it to help me. I know absolutely zero about electrics so please be very basic with your replies. Many thanks. Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Battery Charger Clubman GL 2001

Post by Tallboy on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:26 pm

Hi Norman, welcome to the forum!
I have a 1999 Clubman and the battery is in the engine compartmen, next to the vehicle battery. Never heard of one under the sink before! However, my battery charger IS under the sink, at floor level. It can safely be left on to keep the leisure battery topped up, and I would strongly recommend that you plug it into the mains (via hook up, obviously) at intervals over the winter to reduce the chances of it failing. If your new pride and joy won't be used much over the next few months, it might be an idea to get an independent 'intelligent' charger for the vehicle battery to keep it topped up. Aldi and Lidl often have them for around £12 or £15.

Afterthought- if at any time your leisure battery fails, the first thing to check is the switch on the battery charger- it can sometimes be turned off inadvertently.
Hope that helps,

Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '99 T4 Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:38 pm

Hi Norman,

My Clubman is the same year as yours, and also has the battery and charger under the sink.

The Autosleeper manual doesn't say a lot about it, other than there is a light to tell you it's on!  Anyway, I leave it on all the time on hook-up without any issues.  When parked up in my driveway, I rely on an 80W solar panel mounted on the roof to keep the battery topped up.

Enjoy!

Steve
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:00 pm

Hi wave

Any chance of a picture, someone will probably recognize it, but assuming it is the original fitment and not modified:

No (it’s not a trickle charger) and yes you can leave it on when on hook up.

Strictly speaking it’s (or should be) working as a power supply rather than a charger. It will power the 12V equipment when on hook up and keep the leisure battery topped up at the same time. A quick way to check that it's working properly is to disconnect the leisure battery negative then connect the EHU and see if the 12V equipment still works.

Brod
brodco

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:07 pm

Disconnecting the battery and "trying it" would not be my recommended way forward!  I am pretty certain this is not a regulated power supply and, without a battery floated across it, the output is likely to be a few volts higher than one might expect!

Probably would do little or no damage to equipment installed at the turn of the century (makes our vans sound a bit ancient eh?), some newer kit might well take objection!
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi  wave

NORGIL wrote: I know absolutely zero about electrics so please be very basic with your replies. Many thanks. Norman
Sorry! hugegrins

SteveUK wrote:Disconnecting the battery and "trying it" would not be my recommended way forward!  I am pretty certain this is not a regulated power supply and, without a battery floated across it, the output is likely to be a few volts higher than one might expect!
Should be.

If it wasn’t you couldn’t leave it on unless it was a very low current supply, certainly much too low to supply the van or to charge the battery in any sensible time frame. If the output was a few volts higher than the fully charged battery and the charge current could pull it down (without destroying the battery) then any equipment in the van would pull it down as well.  think_smiley_46

I’m not sure what AS were fitting in 2001 but the Zigs were (are) fully regulated for both voltage and current and I can’t imagine AS going backwards.

SteveUK wrote:Probably would do little or no damage to equipment installed at the turn of the century (makes our vans sound a bit ancient eh?), some newer kit might well take objection!

Now that brings up an interesting point about the modern tendency to use intelligent chargers as power supplies to power the van. Best not discuss it here though, Norman did ask us to keep it simple.

Brod
brodco

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:01 pm

Many thanks to those who have replied so far. I take the vehicle (Ruby) for a 40mile drive about once a fortnight to keep the vehicler battery charged and everything moving, will that be enough to keep the leisure battery charged as well or do i need to use the battery charger hooed up on the drive maybe once a week. I told you all I was dumb about electrics, guess this question really proves it ! Never been out in her yet and finding it daunting already..lol

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:26 pm

I keep my Clubman hooked up to the EHU all the time it is on the drive,  I have an oil filled radiator on in the very cold weather, set to the frost settings, very cheap to run,  it is best be used all the year round as a lot of members will verify, I also have the fridge on, I sometimes use it to read a book or watch TV when on the drive. Can you tell I love my van, hugegrins hugegrins

Enjoy it is a great van, like a tardis.

So sorry forgot to say,
Hello and asof_welcome2 from Leicestershire

Last edited by daisy mae on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Welcome)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wakaday on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:18 pm

Glad its not just me then Daisy.
I quite often go out to the Van on Hook up on the drive for a lie down and a read. Its usually when the other half is watching Deadenders or i'm a celebrity dancing on the X Factor in the Jungle.
wakaday

Male

Auto-Sleeper : clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Clubman GL Leisure Battery

Post by treynolds on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 pm

Hi Norman,

I had a Clubman GL (1998) from new, and like other members vans of the same vintage, the leisure battery was squeezed in alongside the engine battery. When the leisure battery went phut, I assumed that it would simply be a case of getting hold of another one and away we go.

A replacement (I assumed standard size leisure battery) was obtained from my local caravan dealer, however when I tried to fit it I found that it was too tall, i.e. there was not enough clearance to close the bonnet.

On closer inspection I found that Autosleepers had just fitted an ordinary battery, not a particularly expensive one at that!

It appears to me more sensible that later vans had the leisure battery installed inside the van.

My current van is a later Gatcombe, the leisure battery is under one of the side bench seats. It has a small plastic tube attached to the battery which then runs down through the chassis to vent off dangerous fumes, presume yours is the same (?).

cheers
Tom
treynolds

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:41 pm

Hi Tom and thanks for bringing the issue of venting to mind. I will get someone to grovel on the floor and check mine out. Two dodgy knees and One dodgy hip mean I cant get down to it..lol

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum