Carver cascade water heater leaking

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Carver cascade water heater leaking

Post by Pepsi on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:05 pm

Hi all, can anyone please advise, I have a carver Cascade water heater and it seems to be leaking,I filled the fresh water tank up yesterday until it overflowed underneath (apparently that's how you know that it's full) then bled all the taps and put the water heater on to make sure the water heater worked which it does, but when I went outside the van I noticed water seeping out along the bottom edge of the heater. I have made sure the drain plug is well tight and the other little screw is in the closed position but had another look today and it is still seeping from bottom edge. We are quite new to  Motorhoming so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks Sal
Pepsi

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Carver cascade water heater leaking

Post by Tallboy on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:30 pm

Hi Sal,
The white plastic plugs on the Cascade water heater become brittle with age, and the black rubber 'o' ring can perish and crack, allowing small amounts of water to seep out. Anything more seriously wrong would probably cause a grater flow of water ( a cascade? Whistle1 )
Most caravan/motorhome stockists will have them (the plug comes complete with 'o'ring, and so it should at the price, £8 or £9!), or you could find them cheaper online. 
Be as gentle as possible when removing the old plug- use the largest screwdriver you can find, but be prepared for it to break up and have to fish the bits out. It might be better not to drain down before removing as the water outflow will then flush any bits away.
Hope that helps,

Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '99 T4 Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepsi on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanks for that Rich, do I need to replace the little one as well.? Also will water be seeping into the van too,sorry it's just we don't know these things

Cheers

Sal
Pepsi

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:46 pm

From memory, the upper, smaller air bleed valve is not as easy as the larger one to replace, so I would leave it alone for now.

I've had a problem with the lower one pinholing in the centre and leaking from there (as well as around the O ring when it gets worn/perished). The other main failure point is that the spigots for the supply pipes on the back get brittle and can fracture, but I would think that is unlikely unless the pipework inside the van has been disturbed.
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tallboy on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:49 pm

Hi Sal, glad to be able to help!
The small plug towards the top of the heater is a spring-loaded vent to allow air in whilst draining the system down. It is opened by turning 90 degrees either way, and closed the same way. It can be replaced but shouldn't need to be, and again they are very expensive for a small bit of plastic.
Neither plug will allow water to seep into the van, they are there just to allow water out of the heater unit. If you have wet carpets then something else must be faulty. I hope you haven't....

Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '99 T4 Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepsi on Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:14 pm

Thanks guys up! I will check that out tomorrow and pray it's the o ring!
Sal
Pepsi

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Carver Cascade heater leaking

Post by cyclo on Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:38 pm

If the suggested remedies do not cure the leak it could be the pressure relief valve. They are plastic and become brittle and crack.

Remove the alloy cover and you will be able to see the valve at the left hand side of the unit as you are facing it. 

David
cyclo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:07 pm

Just a thought Sal.

Before you fit any new 'O' rings it's worth coating them with silicone oil to help preserve them. It's a tip I got from a Whale rep at the NEC show, who gave me a little bottle of the oil. It goes a long way so you only need buy a very small amount.

Dave

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepsi on Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:34 pm

The little valve does look a bit worse for wear the big one doesn't look too bad  I'm having a hab check on Monday so if I can't sort it hopefully they can
Thanks for the tip Gromit, I have a tin of grease spray and I am spraying everything, probably spraying things I shouldn't be at that!!!
Many thanks for all your help and I will let you know
Pepsi

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:14 pm

Argghhhh  silly me

I mentioned this to Chris and she said, "didn't you buy some 'O' rings for the water heater because it was dripping sometimes?"

Me "Yes, I thought so"  confused3

Her "Are these they?" (holding up a little packet with 'Carver 'O' rings' written on it.)

Me "Oh  censored!"

Sorry Sal, another thing I forgot, although I think that I bought them last year, then found that the grease I put on the drain plug stopped the leak and forgot about it.
There's only one 'O' ring in the packet, I must have used the other one for something else, as is my usual M.O.

moi

meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:15 am

You will obviously aware that there are two types of drain screw, early ones are imperial (1/2" bsp) and the later ones are metric. Unable to find one I simply used a Brass bsp plug.....
redturner37

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pepsi on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:58 pm

No worries Meanchris  got the drain plug sorted had an hab check yesterday and the chap has fitted a new one all fine now and the van has passed with flying colours so we are really pleased about that, so thanks to all as always:smile!:
Pepsi

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum