The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

thetford fridge door sagging

+3
Quilter
PLOUGHLIN
artheytrate
7 posters

Go down

thetford fridge door sagging Empty thetford fridge door sagging

Post by artheytrate Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:50 pm

We are currently in Benidorm with our 2014 Broadway EB, over the week end I noticed that we were having a problem shutting the fridge door as the catch seamed lower than normal.
I found the cause as the bottom fridge hinge has dropped slightly with the weight of the contents in the door. I have had to pack the bottom hinge with a piece of wood temporarily.
Has anyone else had this problem.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

thetford fridge door sagging Empty Re: thetford fridge door sagging

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:56 pm

I had something similar. I found a small plastic spacer washer had cracked and fallen out. Pushed it back in between door frame and hinge bracket around the pivot and door was fine. Keeps falling out though. hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:59 pm

We've not noticed problems with the door sagging but do find that it opens very easily when on the move. I've taken to wedging the door mat and EHU cable in front of it as the catch does nothing at all.

I think this is because the magnetic seal is not as strong as is needed to counter the forces on a roundabout but will look at it more carefully to check it is closing properly.  It's the first fridge we have had that's at the side of the van not at the back so the magnets might be as good as they come but the position doesn't help.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:05 pm

On reading about the trouble with the fridge door catches, are they " new and improved "?  all the fridges we have had and in my motor home the catches have never let us down, in fact the one in the Clubman I find it hard to open when I want it too. curious. scratch head
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:27 pm

daisy mae wrote:On reading about the trouble with the fridge door catches, are they " new and improved "?  all the fridges we have had and in my motor home the catches have never let us down, in fact the one in the Clubman I find it hard to open when I want it too. curious. scratch head
Not sure if new but the bit on the door that supposedly latches into the "eye" on the fridge rim basically doesnt.  It's not even good enough to keep the door open when we leave it so between trips.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:44 pm

I guess yours have been Dometic fridges not Thetford. Our previous van, a Pollensa, had a perfectly good Dometic with no problems. Now we have a Thetford, it looks like it is only a matter of, time before we have a similar problem to artheytrate. We have just recently purchased a set of fridge vents and an extra door bin as it was only supplied with two. This is at a total cost of £30 plus £2.65 for a couple of spare door stays. Perhaps we should have ordered some spare door spacers/washers at the same time!! The Dometic fridge in the Pollensa came with fridge vents and three door bins as standard. I can't wait for the Thetford electronics to go haywire in the future, like some others have experienced on this forum!

Pete

Last edited by Masai Warrior on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional text)
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:25 am

The only problem s that I have had in 4 years of touring that's 8 months total use are:
1: During first winter lay-up I nudged the door closed while it was propped open with that silly plastic stay, which promptly folded up. I phoned Thetford and they posted me a complete new catch.
2: On one site a couple of years ago the EHU voltage was about 205V around evening meal time and the fridge kept switching between mains and gas. According to the handbook that should not happen till about 20% low, ie about 190v. Not a real issue as I simply switched over to manual gas instead of auto.

I only have 2 door trays but a third would stop wine and other bottles being stored in the door. And our door gets plenty of weight but no sag. I did not get winter covers, nor did I expect them as they had not been supplied with previous caravans or motorhome.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:42 am

John (Artheytrate) 
Did you solve the problem of the fridge door sticking?
I am now having the same problem, and in south france, so need fridge to be working well.
I will temp shore up the lower hinge pin by wittling a suitable wooden wedge but have just researched on line and found some interesting threads about the problem.
What if any was your final solution?
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:03 am

Ron: re extra door bin. We bought one and find it is invaluable. The distance from base of the bottom bin to underneath of the middle bin is 15 inches. I only drink white wine, usually the taller , slimmer bottle shape, and this is more than enough space without having to slant the bottle at all.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:51 pm

Backtrax wrote:John (Artheytrate) 
Did you solve the problem of the fridge door sticking?
I am now having the same problem, and in south france, so need fridge to be working well.
I will temp shore up the lower hinge pin by wittling a suitable wooden wedge but have just researched on line and found some interesting threads about the problem.
What if any was your final solution?
Hello backtrax, I fitted a small block of wood tightly under the bottom hinge stained to match the furniture and I haven't had a problem since the fix.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down