Charging problems

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Charging problems

Post by Schmike on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:08 pm

Advice needed!!!

My charger appears to have died. Plugged the hookup in and when I came out to check the voltage I realized it was not charging. Now as this is an old girl (89 Talisman) it has a Lab Craft BC 125 B charger fitted which is the original. I've opened it up and there is a small glass fuse, 500mv that's blown, I replaced it and plugged in, then it started smoking!!!!

Until this happened it has worked faultlessly, all other fuses in the power feeds are OK so I'm assuming its not anything else that's at fault. It was working when I initially plugged it in as I checked it, so I can only think its given up after 26years.

So, do I get it repaired, if so where would I go and is it cost effective(probably not), or what is a suitable replacement that will mate up to the existing original control panel and operate in the same way??

Many thanks.
Schmike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Charging problems

Post by -mojo- on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:50 pm

In general, old equipment like that shouldn't be too hard to repair, as the circuitry is typically quite simple. However, finding someone willing to do it is more of an issue, as labour costs have come to dominate repairs like that. You may find that Googling "Zig repairs" will find a company that is willing to look at it, even though it's not a Zig.

But... electronics has moved on so far in 26 years that you will probably be able to buy a very good multi-stage charger for much the same money as a repair, once you account for shipping in two directions if you want the faulty one fixed. Wiring into an old installation like yours should not be complex either, as there was no real concept of "integration" as such then, unlike today where it would be a subsystem in a much more functional power control system.
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Schmike on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:14 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a google initially. I've looked around a bit for replacements but I need to check what and where the connections go to. There are 4 small wire outputs to panel, 2 larger ones of which one is to battery which I'm assuming is the leisure battery and one to load, maybe the panel main feed? Once I trace them I'll have a better idea. up!
Schmike

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Schmike on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:23 pm

Would be easy enough to install. Going to trace wiring from charger first as there are 6 outputs on the existing one so just want to confirm I can keep these feeds live without coming off the charger if it doesnt have the same number of outputs. I've already run a 25A main feed into a distribution fuse block so could use that if needed. Thanks for the links.
Schmike

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:46 am

I know we all make our own judgements about these things, but I personally would not pay £50 for a secondhand Zig, because that could be 20 years old and about to fail as well. If I had a choice, I would go for a modern multi-stage unit, which will probably help your leisure battery live a bit longer too...
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum