Clubman GL awning.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clubman GL awning.

Post by AndyPK on Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:48 am

My recently acquired Clubman has a Fiamma awning fitted. My feeling is that this is more of a 'summer thing', and I've been toying with the idea of removing it and refitting when the weather is warmer - it would also help with parking at home, as it gets dangerously close to my neighbour's garage guttering!!
I believe that the awning is held in place on brackets. Does anyone else remove theirs, or is it too much of a faff?!?

Andy
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Clubman GL awning.

Post by Paulmold on Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:54 am

They are very heavy and you certainly will need two people to remove and replace.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:33 am

Paulmold wrote:They are very heavy and you certainly will need two people to remove and replace.
I suspected as much looking at the construction, width of fabric and length....!
I'll have to get the dogs to help as well as my better half!

Andy
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:18 am

Won`t you then have to make sure the holes where the fittings are , are waterproof?

I have only used mine the once, as I am height challenged hugegrins I cannot manage it myself, I am a solo camper most of the time, was thinking of selling it as it was brand new when I bought the van, then thought about the fittings and the holes that would be left'

Please let us know what you decide and the outcome if you remove?.
Good luck,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tallboy on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:22 am

Hi Andy,
I removed the Fiamma awning from my Clubman after a couple of years, during which we only used it twice and found it pretty useless. As Paulmold noted, they are incredibly heavy, and I'm sure Im not imagining things when I say the van pulls better without it. Removing the mounting brackets leaves 3 pairs of holes in the lower part of the roof, which I blanked off using suitably sized stainless allen studs, washers and nuts from Screwfix. They were sealed and weatherproofed using plenty of non-setting mastic mostly on the inside, with the little showing from the outside smoothed by wiping over with just a hint of white spirit on a cloth. The finished job looks very neat, and we haven't missed the awning at all.

Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '99 T4 Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:35 am

Two screws (or pop rivets) at each end and no need to remove the brackets. They are heavy but easily lifted off and replaced by two adult males. Mine is 10ft long on a Topaz.
Keith

KMRTOPAZ

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:53 am

Ah well.......I was going to remove the awning, but have broken my ankle instead, so it looks like it will be next year before I get a round tuit(!).
Thanks for all the replies, and I'll let you know how it goes......

Andy:so_sad:so_sad
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:42 am

Ouch!!!  Andy so sorry to hear this, hope it feels better soon meanwhile take it easy and plan your trips for next year while you are indisposed.
Best wishes,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:12 pm

Thanks, Margaret.
It's more uncomfortable than painful, but stops me from being very mobile.....the dogs wonder what is going on, I think!!
It also means that I shan't be removing the bumper-bar from Jill at present, but I'll let you know when I do.
All the best

Andy
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wakaday on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:43 am

I was thinking of buying one but reading about the weight has put me off now.
wakaday

Male

Auto-Sleeper : clubman
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:05 am

Yes, they do seem to weigh quite a bit! I've just bought a High Peak Tarp 2 from Amazon (it's a 4x4m tarpaulin) and a couple of extra poles so that I can set up some cover should I need to. When we bought the Clubman, the salesman advised us to be careful when  pulling it out, not to leave it out when away from the 'home, and not to roll it up when wet! All in all, probably more trouble than it's worth!! Do other forum members think the same, I wonder?
Andy
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:35 am

Yes I do, lovely when it is out gives shade for the dogs, but I cannot manage it on my own, only used it the once, so am thinking of taking it off. I bought it  brand new when I bought the van, they are not cheap.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:28 am

Too true - cheap they ain't, Margaret!
The tarp is for 'doggy' shade, and I figured that it would give me more flexibility location-wise than a fixed awning.
Andy
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:13 am

There's a lot of negativity here about awnings, and I don't really understand it! We use ours in the summer for shade and/or to attach a drive-away awning . During wet weather (summer and winter) it's invaluable when opened a couple of feet to keep rain out of the side door. This latter use is important to anyone owning a VW T4/5 panel van. Wet seats were so problematic that I fitted an electric motor drive so that we could open it from within the van before opening the door.
Heavy ? Yes but as I said previously; easily managed by two adult males. I collared the postman one morning to lift it off with me. He didn't even bother to take off his mail bag!
They are expensive to buy and this is a decision that needs some thought, but removing and disposing of one already fitted seems a bit shortsighted.

KMRTOPAZ

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:42 pm

To be fair, Kmrtopaz, I won't dispose of mine, but will store it until such time as I sell Jill (my Clubman), thereby giving her new owner the opportunity to use it or not.
Andy
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:21 pm

KMRTOPAZ wrote:There's a lot of negativity here about awnings, and I don't really understand it! We use ours in the summer for shade and/or to attach a drive-away awning . During wet weather (summer and winter) it's invaluable when opened a couple of feet to keep rain out of the side door. This latter use is important to anyone owning a VW T4/5 panel van. Wet seats were so problematic that I fitted an electric motor drive so that we could open it from within the van before opening the door.
Heavy ? Yes but as I said previously; easily managed by two adult males. I collared the postman one morning to lift it off with me. He didn't even bother to take off his mail bag!
They are expensive to buy and this is a decision that needs some thought, but removing and disposing of one already fitted seems a bit shortsighted.
That's all very well, in my case I thought it would be great and ordered one to be fitted before I took delivery of my van, in practice not good for me, I cannot manage to use it,   easy if you are a healthy male , when a female travelling with health issues no contest,  I am usually a solo traveller, so what is the point of carrying it around, if taken off I have no where to store it so will be sold., still thinking about it. scratch head
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum