Bike rack, weight capacity?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bike rack, weight capacity?

Post by Firms on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:15 pm

Hi

Our recently purchased Legend has a bike rack fitted (Fiamma (I think)...capacity 2 bikes) 

I loaded our 2 mountain bikes on to it but was alarmed at the amount of "flex" from the bottom two fittings. This was evident when I pushed down on the rack to replicate movement as it would be on the road.

Both bikes are quite heavy and I am worried that when driving along the rack will flex enough to crack or damage the outer skin of the GRP body!

Anyway decided to remove bikes and ask for advice first. Fixings all seem to visibly ok and rack is identical to many others that I see on the road loaded with 3 or even 4 bikes.

So my questions are:

1) Is it normal for the bottom two fittings to "flex" when loaded?
2) is there a "safe" weight capacity of a two bike rack fitted to a monocoque bodied AS? 

Many Thanks

Simon
Firms

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bike rack, weight capacity?

Post by Cymro on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:22 pm

In my experience, (i) No, it is not normal for there to be flexing, apert from perhaps a millimetre or two. (2) Yes, there is a weight limit. Look inside the wheel carrier troughs and, with luck, there will be the original Fiamma plate which gives the limit for a 2-bike carrier. (Mine is a 3 so can't advise). Failing that, look it up on the web. Unless another Forum member has a 2-bike Fiamma and can advise. (I thought that all Fiammas could take 3, but owners may not have purchased 3 troughs).
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:27 pm

Do you know whether the rack was fitted by a dealer or e.g. as a DIY job by a previous owner?
Have you checked the fixings inside the van to make sure they are fitted properly?  
(e.g. using a spreader plate and/or on a sufficiently strong part of the infrastructure designed by the manufacturer for this purpose).

cheers
Roger
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Firms on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:43 pm

Sorry no idea when rack was fitted or by whom. I do know that previous owners did not use the rack as they weren't cyclists. Van is 18 years old though so impossible to check...   

I have however now checked Fiamma website and capacity seems to be 60kg. Should have done this before posting and now see that this question has been asked on here before. Doh!   

I am sure that our bikes, although heavy, don't weigh that much!

If the fixings are not meant to flex then I will have to investigate inside van somehow to see how well they have been fitted...does anyone know if there is an access panel to the rear of a Legend?

Thanks

Simon

Thanks again

Simon
Firms

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum