Is a 25m hook up cable too long?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Is a 25m hook up cable too long?

Post by Charliefarlie on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:15 pm

Peter Brown wrote:
Charliefarlie wrote:The plugs are water resistant not water proof. I asked on here about joining cables by plugging them together and was told Firmly it was dangerous ! That is why I bought the blooming box ! 
Better safe than sorry where power is concerned  up!
When posting on a public forum you should always be aware that anyone in the world can read what you post, consider that post authoritative and act on it.  That is why when discussing matters where incorrect use adds risk (eg tyre pressures, electricity, gas, etc.) we should be very careful what we say.  My personal approach in these areas is to try and give enough information to point a competent person in the right direction but not to go into detail.

Abroad I regularly have to connect two or three cables together and I don't often add extra waterproofing to the standard connectors however if after a storm I found my connection was submerged in a puddle I disconnect the power immediately before removing and drying.  Others might just put their hand in the puddle to drag it out....................

Perhaps you will be kind enough to actually say what I said wrong ? My points all err on safety ! 

If I were to be saying Not to use a box to increase safety I could understand. But my post and the advice in it is to use a waterproof box in an effort to promote safety. 

You post on the other hand ..................

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:41 pm

The intention was to reinforce your point, you said nothing wrong

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:45 pm

Sorry it never read that way to me...

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:09 pm

By the way, if anyone needs one or two custom length hookup cables in Arctic spec yellow 2.5mmsq cable with Lewden 250V/16A connectors, let me know - it looks like I will have around 40m left over when I have finished what I'm currently doing (or will be when my torn intercostals let me!).
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 'R' on Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:41 pm

Charliefarlie wrote:
Dave 'R' wrote:Is the junction box necessary when the blue plugs and sockets are waterproof??  never used one in twelve years and never had a problem with joining cables together.  it is just something else to carry in limited space.

The plugs are water resistant not water proof. I asked on here about joining cables by plugging them together and was told Firmly it was dangerous ! That is why I bought the blooming box ! 
I store inside that box a fly lead with a two pin European plug on it and a fly lead with the polarity reversed so its used as a storage for those two things anyway.

Better safe than sorry where power is concerned  up!

As a safety practitioner by trade and in defence to Peters and your post, the plugs are the minimum standard required on a construction site (including 240V) which is a harsher environment than joining two motorhome cables together.  The plugs, if assembled correctly have seals fitted between the cables and the plugs that should keep the water out.  The tight fit between plug and socket makes the assembled plug/socket water retardant unless you are submersing the whole lot for an extended period of time.  The boxes I have seen used (maybe cheapos!!) do not seal on the cable and act as a reservoir for water to collect in, which to me is a bigger risk than ensuring the cables are not submersed in puddles by raising them slightly.  I have seen people empty large amounts of water from their boxes when disconnecting!!
On top of that, do you use boxes when connecting to the post or at the connection to the van?  Same principle applies when using the term "reasonably practicable".  Therefore my original post is based upon a competence within the field.  Boxes are not a legal requirement and I choose not t6o use one for the reasons given in this post and my previous post.
Dave 'R'
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:56 pm

Dave 'R' wrote:The boxes I have seen used (maybe cheapos!!) do not seal on the cable and act as a reservoir for water to collect in, which to me is a bigger risk than ensuring the cables are not submersed in puddles by raising them slightly.
There is another thread around here about these "waterproof" boxes. My point there was that many of these boxes do not give an IP rating and as such I would not trust them. The plug & sockets are already IP42, which as you say is fine for most things other than submersion. The original poster in the other thread has actually found a box with IP44 rating so she has at least improved on an unmarked one.
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: