Is a 25m hook up cable too long?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is a 25m hook up cable too long?

Post by malloymillerblue on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:36 pm

We're new to this game, but very excited that we pick up our Talisman next week - and want to get out on the road and try an overnight as soon as possible! 
In preparation, we have to buy a hook up cable. Has anyone got any tips about what length we should get. Is 25m too long, or 10m too short?
Sorry about such a 'novice' question...but any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Glenn and Sue
malloymillerblue

Female

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is a 25m hook up cable too long?

Post by Gromit on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:47 pm

Hi Both

Exciting or what!! Cups of afternoon tea in the van - and don't deny it, we all did, and still do it! hugegrins

10 metres is definitely far too short. 25 metres is sometimes too short in France, but ignore that for now.

25 metres is fine for the UK as just about every site is laid out so that a hook up point is within reach. If the cable is too long, just drop it by the van, but keep the coils large and spread them out a bit. If they are tightly wound in small coils the cable may well overheat, and in extreme circumstances it might go up in smoke!!

If you plan on going to France I'd say the combination of a 15 metre and a 25 metre cable would work in almost every situation. Plus if you have the storage space to carry both, you may well find yourself using the 15 metre cable more often than the longer one in the UK.

I think 10 metres is a bit too short - but others may not agree. Some cut their standard 25 metre cable into a 10 and a 15 metre length, and fit a plug and socket on the ends. I think it's far easier to spread out your coils if there's plenty of spare cable - but I am rather idle on holiday! up!

Dave

P.S. There's no such thing as a daft or "novice" question. The only daft thing is not to ask. smile!

P.P.S. A suggestion. Try your first night on the front drive - then if you have forgotten anything it's not far to go for it! A friend of ours had their first trip at this time of year and forgot the most obvious item - and the most obvious is often the easiest to forget. They didn't enjoy their first freezing cold night without their duvet!!!! so_sad
Gromit

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi Glen & Sue
I have collected an assortment of cables over the years, however I always take a 10 and 25 Mtr cable with me, ideal for Most U.K sites.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:57 pm

Third P.S.

Don't buy a hook-up cable yet! If you are buying the van from a dealer I believe they have to provide a brand new cable now whether the van is new or second hand, thanks to Elf and Safety regulations.

If buying privately you still may not need one, as most folk tend to regard it as part of the van and leave it in there.

Dave

Last edited by Gromit on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gromit

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:57 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:Hi Glen & Sue
I have collected an assortment of cables over the years, however I always take a 10 and 25 Mtr cable with me, ideal for Most U.K sites.
Boaby
Yep, same here  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:09 pm

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t6860-hook-up-cable?highlight=arctic+cable

It will be worth your while to read through the thread linked above.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:25 pm

German campsites often have a few large distribution points. If the site isn't crowded you can usually park close enough but if busy 25m might not suffice.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:29 pm

I  have a 25mtr and a 10mtr Blue artic  EHU cable, it is easier to roll up and store, doesn`t go hard and brittle in cold conditions, hence the Artic name, a little dearer than the more common orange, but after I had  had, too many fights with a twisted and heavy orange cable , I am so pleased I have the blue, each to his own as always.

Happy camper
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy on Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:50 pm

We inherited a 15 metre cable when we bought the 'van and it suited us OK for a couple of years. However, we did get fed up of driving round and round the Caravan Club sites looking for a nice pitch within reach of a hook-up point. fedup

In the end we bought a 25 metre one, (off the good lady above - daisy mae) and have enjoyed unlimited freedom to choose, and thankfully had it with us at Broadway a couple of weeks ago. thanksverymuch
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:52 pm

We also carry both a 10 and 25metre cable. We tour the continent mainly and on the few occasions we have EHU we can be anything from 3 meters to 30 from an electric point, so plugging together may be required. The only time we've been too short was on a site at Lake Annecy where the hook up point was a staggering 100metres (I paced it out) from the nearest point we could park the van! The site owner loaned us an enormous extension.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:52 pm

I will also refer you to the previous post

2.5mm dia cable should be used as it offers greater protection than 1.5mm dia does when people are driving over it. 

Most reputable dealers supply hul s in 2.5mm for this reason but I have no doubt unknown cheapo sources such as found on ebay will be offering cheap and they are likely going to be 1.5mm dia

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:32 pm

I carry both a 25M and a 10M cable. I wind the 25 onto a cable reel then connect the plug onto the 10 then wind that onto the reel as well. It keeps things neat and tidy and I just use which one I need.

As others have said choose a quality cable not a cheap one. I have a box that means I can join the two together if needed.

Link to the cable reel
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orange-Caravan-25-meter-Mains-Hook-Up-Plastic-Cable-Tidy-Reel-cord-wheel-/281146018443?hash=item41759bca8b:g:VY4AAMXQGQRR~N3n

You can find these for about 6 quid at a local camping store. I easily get both the 25 plus the 10 on it..

Link to the box for connecting two cables together.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321451254479?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 'R' on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:15 pm

Is the junction box necessary when the blue plugs and sockets are waterproof??  never used one in twelve years and never had a problem with joining cables together.  it is just something else to carry in limited space.
Dave 'R'
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:16 pm

scratch head I was given a 25mtr cable when we bought our van. I got fed up with the bulk of storing it in. An electrician I know split it into 10/15mtr. So far I have only had to use the full cable joined on a couple of UK and one French site. When we were at Hadrians wall the site owner gave us a cable to make sure we could reach the hook up point. allthumbz
If we get the Gatcombe next year hopefully I will have room for another 25mtr cable. This will cover all options here or abroad. twiddle_thumbs

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Same as Dave 'R', in my 11 years of motorhoming I've never used a waterproof box when connecting the cable plug and sockets together. I know there's a whole thread devoted to boxes on here.
However I always use common sense, elevating the connection off the ground & maybe putting it in a plastic bag with a big rubber band round when it's raining. Also I ALWAYS disconnect from the hook up point first. It's surprising how many campers I see unplug their motorhome or caravan then happily roll up the live cable with their bare hands back towards the electric point.
I dread to think if the cable has been damaged due to being run over.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:55 pm

daisy mae wrote:I  have a 25mtr and a 10mtr Blue artic  EHU cable,
I too have a blue lead but I would point out that some sites (caravan club?) do state in their rules that leads should be hi-vis orange. I doubt if you would get chucked off the site for the wrong colour lead but you will probably get no sympathy if they run the blue one over with their lawn mower.
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:13 pm

dbroada wrote:
daisy mae wrote:I  have a 25mtr and a 10mtr Blue artic  EHU cable,
I too have a blue lead but I would point out that some sites (caravan club?) do state in their rules that leads should be hi-vis orange. I doubt if you would get chucked off the site for the wrong colour lead but you will probably get no sympathy if they run the blue one over with their lawn mower.
Have stayed on numerous CC sites never had a problem as all their pitches are hard standing, doubt they will be mowing them. hugegrins if you mean the few feet from the box to the hard  standing on some of the sites there wouldn`t be room for a mower anyway, never had any complaints. I am certainly not carrying two different colour cables.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:20 pm

CC site do have many grass pitches, as well as large (>3m) grass separation between hardstanding pitches. Their site safety rules don't mention Hi-vis cable colour. C&CC information picture shows hi-vis orange and says cables will usually be orange, but it is not mandatory.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:03 pm

I have only been on the CC sites with all hard standing, sorry I understood that their sites were all hard standing. Also been on the C&CC sites and no problem there either. I think we all have to be responsible of how we lay out the cables so as not to be a danger etc to anyone else, or even ourselves.many still leave the excess coiled up.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:49 pm

Thanks for mentioning the Arctic blue cable, Daisy Mae. I'd not heard of it. But I've often resented the struggle with orange cable, especially when cold. So I've just ordered a 25m blue lead, at 2.5mm as recommended by Roli. I'll only take the orange one as well when we're likely to need more than 25m - only twice so far in many years' experience.

So thanks, Daisy Mae and Roli, for your advice.

Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:13 am

You`r welcome, pleased to be of some help.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:04 am

Incidentally, arctic spec cable is available in other colours too - not just blue. You can buy it in exactly the same spec in yellow, which is as hi-viz as the orange of the more conventional 2.5mm2 cable.

The only reason why blue tends to gets used in preference is due to a convention that yellow signifies a 110VAC supply on building sites - but that is irrelevant if it's your cable and you know what you use it for!

E.g.:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA2dot5ART3Yslash50.html

[BTW, I'm yet another who carries one 25m and one 10m cable.]
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by malloymillerblue on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:13 am

Many thanks everyone - loads of useful hook up information ! Sounds like we will end up with both lengths.
Glenn and Sue
malloymillerblue

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:20 am

Dave 'R' wrote:Is the junction box necessary when the blue plugs and sockets are waterproof??  never used one in twelve years and never had a problem with joining cables together.  it is just something else to carry in limited space.

The plugs are water resistant not water proof. I asked on here about joining cables by plugging them together and was told Firmly it was dangerous ! That is why I bought the blooming box ! 
I store inside that box a fly lead with a two pin European plug on it and a fly lead with the polarity reversed so its used as a storage for those two things anyway.

Better safe than sorry where power is concerned  up!

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:40 am

Charliefarlie wrote:The plugs are water resistant not water proof. I asked on here about joining cables by plugging them together and was told Firmly it was dangerous ! That is why I bought the blooming box ! 
Better safe than sorry where power is concerned  up!
When posting on a public forum you should always be aware that anyone in the world can read what you post, consider that post authoritative and act on it. That is why when discussing matters where incorrect use adds risk (eg tyre pressures, electricity, gas, etc.) we should be very careful what we say. My personal approach in these areas is to try and give enough information to point a competent person in the right direction but not to go into detail.

Abroad I regularly have to connect two or three cables together and I don't often add extra waterproofing to the standard connectors however if after a storm I found my connection was submerged in a puddle I disconnect the power immediately before removing and drying. Others might just put their hand in the puddle to drag it out....................

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top