Electric Protection box

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Electric Protection box

Post by Charliefarlie on Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:40 pm

bikeralw wrote:You're quite right Charlie, but each to their own. Like several posters here, I've already stated I don't use a waterproof box when joining cables. The main reason being it's rare I need to add to the 25M cable, and when I do, I don't think the exposed connection (so long as it's elevated) is any less safe than the connection at each end. The electric post on the vast majority of continental sites is little more than a wooden pole with sockets sticking out in the breeze, usually with a water tap within touching distance. Plus the flap on the side of the van is little protection against horizontal rain.

Al I understand that. The flap on the van as you rightly say gives limited protection . Some site connections are exposed some are not but all are a weak point. That I fully understand. 

As I keep saying I am new to this game and more often than not have complete respect for the advice I'm given. Cables are of course not new to me. Again though I stress I am no expert with cables either.

But my consternation is with the opinions which suggest a junction box which more often than not is a waste of time and offers no extra protection

We have I think all agreed electricity presents a risk. Cutting the risk to a minimum is surely a good idea ?

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Just resurrecting this thread as we have just returned from a New Year C&CC meet. Everyone who wanted electric hook up was advised to bring two cables and a domestic 13amp junction cable. Well to say cables were joined together was a understatement. Some vans had three cables joined, some two and we coped with just one. All cables ended with the 13amp junction lead to domestic 13amp sockets anywhere and everywhere inside the showground building, entering through windows, doors etc. Inside the building cables went above and around doors to sockets inside the building's kitchen , cleaning cupboards etc. Everyone had a hook up that wanted one and considering the appalling weather, cables joined together and lying on the car park ground did not cause any fuses blowing. This meet has been going for a few years and this practise with cables obviously had been tried and tested. At least 30 vans had a hook-up. I'm sure Health & Safety would have had a field day.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:58 pm

I agree that protection boxes can be ignored provided common sense is exercised. To me the important thing is to keep the join off the ground, make sure the cable grommets are sound and, if possible, hang the cable from a branch with the plug below the socket so that the shroud of the socket and the plug housing both protect the plug pins from the rain.
What I do dislike is the sites that lock your connection away forcing you to leave a live socket lying around if you take the van. out for the day. Then I always make a point of hanging the cable with the socket off the ground and preferably on the EHU bollard or post.

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum