Exterior Silver Screens for Clubman

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Exterior Silver Screens for Clubman

Post by logburner on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi All,
Was considering getting Exterior Silver Screens for my 1993 Clubman.
Has anyone had a success at fitting one on a T4......My double barred mirrors look like they could be a problem.    confused3
Also, has anyone had experience of the original Silver Screens vs. the generic ones like Tailormade, or other similar makes ?
(Is it worth the extra to get the well known make ?)
Any help would be appreciated...... allthumbz
                                                                        Ian.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Exterior Silver Screens for Clubman

Post by Paulmold on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:28 pm

Silver Screens or Taylormade are very similar and always a perfect fit. Had some 'Metro' Italian made ones which were like silver coated cardboard and were dreadful. Never tried the Milenco Universal ones on  account that anything 'universal' cannot be an exact fit.
Fitting around mirrors will have been accounted for with Silver Screens or Taylormade.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:18 pm

I have the Silver Screens on my VW T4 they are a perfect fit and unlike some do not flap about in windy weather, fold up into their own waterproof bag, making it easy if you pack up in the rain, mine is stored in the Luton takes up very little room, well worth the money, be known to last 10 years or more.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:32 pm

Thanks for that.......Have had Taylormade on an early Hymer, they were interior ones. Good quality, but thinking of getting original Silver Screens this time round.......Ian
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:29 pm

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi daisymae,
Thanks for your reply........does your clubman mirror stays stick out, with a large gap between the top and bottom stay (some 5" ?)  Thought I might have trouble getting one to fit properly.
Do you think that the original Silver Screen is worth the extra pennies ? confused3  
 If your mirrors are the same as mine, are they VW, or Autosleeper  ?                                                                                                                           Ian.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi,I have Silver screens on my 96 Clubman and they are great.When on sites we see many external screens that look just ok but make us glad we bought the best. Baz.
Baz
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:03 pm

Yes, thanks, I've seen those........but my mirror stays are totally different to those shown there, and they wouldn't fit properly.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi Baz,
Are your mirror stays the same as mine ? I have two black metal stays coming out, holding the mirror, and there is a 5" gap between the top and bottom stay.....are the  clubman all the same, or was there an alteration from the earlier models ? .....My 1994 VW T4 Trophy had plastic mirror stays, which is why I'm concerned they may be A/S and not VW stays.

Ian.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:24 pm

I have the two black metal stays, the Silver screens fit snug as they should no problems at all, my motto is buy once, that is for me Silver Screens, and so pleased I did. cheaper in the long run as they are long lasting, mine look as new as the day I bought them, they have been  on two vans, a Topaz and now the Clubman, fittings still as strong as when new, unlike some that  give a bit with age. I had them on in the winter, extra warmth in the van and keeps the windscreen clear and clean. Use the van all year so easy to take off when going out.

I like the fact I can roll the middle panel down if using in the daytime, lets in daylight, or adjust it for the sun.Silver screens do not go to the shows, buy on line from their site, I ordered by phone and they are very helpful.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz on Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:54 am

Logburner, if you ring silver screens and tell them you have the large mirror they are aware of these and have a model that will fit both well I had the same concern as you but SS knew exactly what I was talking about. Baz
Baz
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagabargin on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:10 pm

We bought one from silver screens this year , and they now make one screen that fits both types of wing mirrors , on the T4 , just give them a ring £138 approx , arrived very quickly like Daisymae can recommend .
Bagabargin

Female

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi Mate, Just to add my four peneth regarding Silver Screens products. When looking for screens for our Duetto I found Taylormade difficult to communicate with. All I wanted to do was collect the screen instead of posting, that was not part of there plan saying that they had to be made to order shrugg .
 Silver Screens were very helpful, cheaper and on route to our site so we went for them.
We ended up with the screens that fold down so we could see out without taking them off every morning. I didn't ask for that type but glad we did.
They are easy to fit and work well. We will order from them when we change vans next year. allthumbz

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pamponi on Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:08 am

We bought a Silver Screen for our 1999 Clubman. Very pleased. Good fit & keeps the heat in or out depending on the season.
Pamponi

Male

Member Age : 42
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:17 am

Hi All,
Silver Screens it is then............direct from the company.   Shall now go rattle the piggy bank, and see if SWMBO will let me have them this side of Xmas.  hugegrins
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:16 am

Update......ordered over the phone, direct with Silver Screens, they were sent immediately....have had them three days now, waiting for the rain to stop.
Went out this morning to fit them.......seemed snug, however, on top corners near front of doors, there is a 2" gap at the front each side. shrugg  Am I being picky, expecting them to fit like a glove ? Is this a normal fit ? or do these slight gaps have a purpose ?
Sheet with them has wriiten VW T4 (ALL) 1991-2003. So I suppose its right.....just need convincing. Have you all got these gaps ? confused3         Ian.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:51 pm

I don`t have any gaps, finding it difficult to visualise this on yours, can you post a photo?.

When fitting mine, I put the drivers door side on first, I  do not fit the Velcro tabs, then have to pull a little to fit over screen and pull to fit the passenger door, making sure that the radio aerial is in front of the silver screen, ( also make sure when taking it off that you don`t catch the aerial as I did and I broke it,  had to replace ) have door open only about 4" I make sure everything is straight then fit the Velcro, mine do fit like a glove.

Something doesn`t seem right somewhere.
Best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:33 pm

Still don't know where to go to click for reply on this forum.....no icon for such it seems.
Thanks for the reply daisymae, will have to consult the oracle (her indoors)  to post the pictures I have taken on my iPhone. (I repel technology.......definite Technophobe  shrugg )
Definite gap   scratch head  never mind...not disastrous.........but could fit better, must try again.
Will try with the photo.....a definite maybe........with SWMBO's help !   broomstick     Ian.

PS. Could be my Velcro attachments !! although the fitting around the mirror stays tend to stem the amount of variation of angle of fixing.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:40 pm

To quote a post and reply, click on the Quote button in the post.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Just been outside to look at the van which is now sporting its Silver Screens. No gaps at all, fit like a glove. Like Margaret says, they can be adjusted quite a bit with the Velcro. Do you have the mesh inner panel?
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:07 pm

bikeralw wrote:Just been outside to look at the van which is now sporting its Silver Screens. No gaps at all, fit like a glove. Like Margaret says, they can be adjusted quite a bit with the Velcro. Do you have the mesh inner panel?
Al.

Hi Al,
Nope, no mesh inner panel that I can see........you must have the super de luxe model    hugegrins
Must say, I'm most likely creating a fuss about nothing, as I've only tried to fit them the once, just using them as they came... scratch head .shall have to do a proper job    ie. fit the side screens first, then seal the Velcro joints   Whistle1    never know, could get a proper fit.........wish this bl****y rain and drizzle would stop awhile........         Ian.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:10 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:To quote a post and reply, click on the Quote button in the post.

Thanks for that ploughline,,,,,,,,,nice to be able to do it right.     up!     Ian.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Baz on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:43 pm

logburner wrote:Update......ordered over the phone, direct with Silver Screens, they were sent immediately....have had them three days now, waiting for the rain to stop.
Went out this morning to fit them.......seemed snug, however, on top corners near front of doors, there is a 2" gap at the front each side. shrugg  Am I being picky, expecting them to fit like a glove ? Is this a normal fit ? or do these slight gaps have a purpose ?
Sheet with them has wriiten VW T4 (ALL) 1991-2003. So I suppose its right.....just need convincing. Have you all got these gaps ? confused3         Ian.

No gaps on mine, fits like a glove. Also have VW T4 (ALL) but no mesh.Baz.
Baz
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:05 pm

I find the inner mesh is quite a good addition, I have to admit I was sceptical at first, but it's great to roll down the outer and have daylight coming into the cab without anyone outside being able to see in. Plus the mesh hold the screens in place pretty well. I also have the scuttle extension, which I believe is standard with the Taylormade screens. But I only use that when the van is laid up in winter.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:16 pm

Baz wrote:
logburner wrote:Update......ordered over the phone, direct with Silver Screens, they were sent immediately....have had them three days now, waiting for the rain to stop.

No gaps on mine, fits like a glove. Also have VW T4 (ALL) but no mesh.Baz.

I can't be the only one with gaps, must be my lack of expertise in fitting........now way can mine be different to yours, either camper, or silver screens.
Will try again tomorrow. hugegrins   Ian.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: