2000 VW Clubman GL reversing sensors

View previous topic View next topic Go down

2000 VW Clubman GL reversing sensors

Post by AndyPK on Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:31 pm

Has anyone managed to fit reversing/parking sensors to a Clubman GL? I'm asking because we tried to have them fitted by the dealer we purchased her from, but were advised that the metal 'bumper-bar' attached to the rear bumper was in the way, and would cause the sensors to be permanently activated....
Any thoughts gratefully received!

Andy
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Owned a Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 2000 VW Clubman GL reversing sensors

Post by dandywarhol on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:15 pm

I had factory fit sensors in my 2003 Clubman - the same bumper as far as I can see so it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, I'd to replace a sensor and I'm sure there's no metal bar in there.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:39 pm

Sorry, I didn't explain very well! The metal bar is tubular stainless-steel, and is attached to the body, protruding back about 100mm, and at the height where the sensors would go, meaning that they would 'see' it whenever reverse gear was selected.....
Hope that makes more sense?!?

Andy
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:05 pm

Ah, ok gotcha. They would interfere with the sensors

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:43 am

I'm not familiar with the rear of a Clubman, but I do know that sensors can be fitted higher than the bumper bar. There is a degree of height/direction adjustment built into the backing unit. I fitted a set into the rear doors of a Timberland Endeavour (Renault Master base vehicle) in a position about 40cm above the base of the doors. If you purchase a DIY kit you will receive everything required including fitting instructions and a hole cutting tool of the required diameter. A few years past a kit cost me about £70 and a couple of bruised knuckles!

KMRTOPAZ

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyPK on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:38 pm

AndyPK wrote:Sorry, I didn't explain very well! The metal bar is tubular stainless-steel, and is attached to the body, protruding back about 100mm, and at the height where the sensors would go, meaning that they would 'see' it whenever reverse gear was selected.....

Andy
Update......contacted Auto-Sleepers about 'the bar', and they agreed that it would interfere with the sensors...so they suggested that it be removed (with instructions for how to do it). I'll probably give it a go, and see if the sensors will fit into the same holes that the bar was fitted to........
Wish me luck!

Andy
AndyPK
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:26 pm

AndyPK wrote:
AndyPK wrote:Sorry, I didn't explain very well! The metal bar is tubular stainless-steel, and is attached to the body, protruding back about 100mm, and at the height where the sensors would go, meaning that they would 'see' it whenever reverse gear was selected.....

Andy
Update......contacted Auto-Sleepers about 'the bar', and they agreed that it would interfere with the sensors...so they suggested that it be removed (with instructions for how to do it). I'll probably give it a go, and see if the sensors will fit into the same holes that the bar was fitted to........
Wish me luck!

Andy

I've got a Snooper reversing camera myself...........maybe an easier solution       scratch head  (although I didn't fit it myself) just the single lens one with the leds around it...........works great, day or night.   allthumbz
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum