Reversing camera, to drill or not to drill?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reversing camera, to drill or not to drill?

Post by meanchris on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:15 pm

I've bought a nice Yada wireless reversing camera/monitor and spent the afternoon testing it out in different positions on the van.

It works best as a reversing and rear view camera if mounted up near the roof line on the back of the shell, looking downwards, as the wide angle sees both distant and near objects, and isn't then looking at a large area of sky.

The question is, how do I mount it there, and where do I put the hole for the 12V camera supply (which is going to come from one of the number plate lamps, as you can see the back of the fitting down behind the cooker)?

Would you drill the shell for the 12V cable and mount the camera with smallish self tappers and double sided tape (I have some very strong d/s industrial tape which is very good if used properly), or would you faint at the thought of drilling a monocoque and just mount the camera with d/s tape or epoxy, or maybe a plastic block bonded to the shell and then drilled? I'd still need a hole for the cable though, unless someone has a brainwave.

Encouragement or outrage, both welcome to help me make a decision.  allthumbz

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reversing camera, to drill or not to drill?

Post by daisy mae on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:49 pm

Mine was drilled for the cable which was taken through the van behind the cupboards down the bulkhead behind and underneath the dash then linked to 12 volt, I had the two cameras but not the reversing one linked to the reverse gear, I had the monitor on the rear view mirror and have a choice to switch between the 2 cameras depending on circumstances, I would hate to be without it now,the cameras were screwed, glued and sealed , a tip before fitting good idea to give the camera base 2-3 coats of clear lacquer helps against the rust. A lot have the cable go from the top brake light then inside through the floor to the cab.

PS Mine is above the high rear brake light.

Last edited by daisy mae on Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PS)
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:57 am

I would never use a self tapper into GRP unless you can get a spire nut on the back - they tend to loosen off over time. I'd prefer to use a bolt or machine screw. Double sided tape is pretty good as an alternative if the underside of the camera is completely flat - though as you say you will still have to drill a hole for the cable...
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:09 am

That's a good point mojo, I would probably have used double sided tape backed up with short fat self tappers, but I take your point about those and GRP.

I wish I knew what the previous owners of our old van used to stick their fish logo on the shell, nothing I tried would even mark it, the logo had gone but the glue was still impenetrable.

I was thinking of using a block, made of the uPVC that's used for fascia boards, bonded to the shell to provide a base that I can drill/tap/self tappers. I could then seal the whole thing with white mastic so that it looks the part.

Any suggestions as to what type of adhesive might be most suitable from an adhesive expert would be welcome.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:36 pm

meanchris wrote:
The question is, how do I mount it there, and where do I put the hole for the 12V camera supply (which is going to come from one of the number plate lamps, as you can see the back of the fitting down behind the cooker)?

Surely the 12v feed to the number plate light is only available when the lights are on - do you have the lights on all the time?

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:00 pm

How about fixing with some Sikaflex, it'll never move.
Mines a diferent van but my camera is wired to rear light cluster and monitor connected to cigar lighter illumination feed, i always drive with lights on.

Dave
fenderbender

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Peter Brown wrote:
meanchris wrote:

Surely the 12v feed to the number plate light is only available when the lights are on - do you have the lights on all the time?

It is yes, and that gives us the option to control power to the camera so that we can use it as a reversing camera, but also as a rearview camera.

I think it's a good compromise between having it permanently wired/powered and only being activated by the reverse light.

It's no great concern for us to run with sidelights on if the camera is required.  smile!

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:12 pm

fenderbender wrote:How about fixing with some Sikaflex, it'll never move.
Mines a diferent van but my camera is wired to rear light cluster and monitor connected to cigar lighter illumination feed, i always drive with lights on.

Dave

It's been suggested that we use Sabatack 750, partly because it stays usable once the tube is opened, and partly because it's super strong.

Having said that, I don't think that this small plastic camera is going to fall off.

I ended up drilling one 5mm hole above the high level brake light to feed the cable through, I've decided to use Sabatack, so no extra screw holes.  allthumbz

Thanks for the replies fellas (and Mae  girl-thinking )

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum