The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercedes Rear Suspension

+8
PLOUGHLIN
Jaytee
GWAYGWAY
Maasai Warrior
inspiredron
Pete Taylor
Bobskate
JDS
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mercedes Rear Suspension - Page 2 Empty Re: Mercedes Rear Suspension

Post by mikethebike Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:13 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Look at the SA Codes, it should give the options ordered by AS.

Like C33 - rear spring harder

CF6- front spring and damper reinforced.
These are options available but not necessarily ordered on that chassis.IMO.

Regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:36 am

Sorry Micky, didn't make my comments clear. Wasn't thinking he had the C33 was just noting their rating. Mine has the C33 at 2.250 tonne rating yet Merc recommend 5 tonne. Will be interested to see which springs he has.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:36 am

Jaytee wrote:Sorry Micky, didn't make my comments clear. Wasn't thinking he had the C33 was just noting their rating. Mine has the C33 at 2.250 tonne rating yet Merc recommend 5 tonne. Will be interested to see which springs he has.
No problem. Mine is C33 with ample clearance even when fully loaded.

3 to 4 in clearance on the bump stop.
Very easy to crawl under.

Regards

Micky
Maybe a C38 by mistake?

Last edited by mikethebike on Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:44 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:
Burford Duo wrote:It's a 2015 Mercedes, mercedes recommend fitting 5 ton leaf springs, £1300
Put you van VIN into this link. It will tell you what suspension upgrade the chassis cab was built with.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The answer is in English.
Thanks for that link. Ploughlin.
However not sure about the number of leafs.Mine has 3 for a C33.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:01 am

Still think mine are wrong. Single leaf and like driving with solid tyres. My change to C38 if I come up on the lottery

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:51 am

Jaytee wrote:Still think mine are wrong. Single leaf and like driving with solid tyres. My change to C38 if I come up on the lottery
I would drop the tyre pressures down and check before any expense.
I have fitted air assist to a Symphony that raised the van and gave a compliant ride.I am sure something similar would be available for you.

Regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:41 pm

Hi Micky, yes vary TP's with weight which has helped but still very harsh. Certainly won't spend big bucks to sort it though.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:18 pm

Jaytee wrote:Still think mine are wrong. Single leaf and like driving with solid tyres. My change to C38 if I come up on the lottery
Might be better with C39 option.

From MB option list

C33 - Two leaf with steeper spring rate, gives greater roll resistance for high C of G vehicles (motorhome?)
C38 - Single leaf for 3880kg rated chassis, normally heavy load.
C39 - Dual rate two leaf springs, light load one spring works, heavy load both leaf work, "High suspension comfort"

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Burford Duo wrote:It's a 2015 Mercedes, mercedes recommend fitting 5 ton leaf springs, £1300
There has been a lot written in the forum on this topic over the recent past and well worth reading through all of them if you can.

Seems a slight overkill to replace current springs with 5 ton leaf springs when the vehicle is only rated at 3800kg - I think you would find the ride very hard and uncomfortable if you had those fitted and of course not forgetting the additional weight incurred which you would lose off you payload allowance!

I would recommend that the first thing you should do is, get Mercedes Commercial to confirm that the current springs fitted are as stated on the vehicle vin build sheet - if correct then go back to your dealer. As has been reported in the forum previously - it is not unknown for MB to supply the base chassis to AS with the incorrect leaf springs fitted - so worth a visual confirmation check by an MB dealer.

I guess AS are not replying to your emails as your vehicle is still under warranty and your contract is with the supplying dealer and therefore any issues are between you and the supplying dealer in the first instance - unless you get your dealer to agree and allow you to talk directly with AS at Willersey. 
If the springs are as stated on the vehicle vin Build sheet then I would go back to AS/Dealer.

As has been stated previously on this topic it would appear that the weight/chassis length/overhang is possibly marginal and thus the soggy bottom syndrome! Plus any additional weight we might add at the rear - bike racks etc.
My solution to the problem has been to have semi air suspension fitted - it lifts the rear, improves the ride, and stops the roundabout wallowing. The only problem is that its not formally approved by MB - but it has got German TUV certification against the LWB Sprinter chassis.

The only semi air suspension system formally approved by MB for the Sprinter is the Dutch VB air suspension and that is for the light weight SWB chassis only. The LWB chassis requires cross member support because of its overhang and the VB system does not have this - AS have looked at fitting this system as an after market add on but realized that it would not work because of the lack of chassis member support. VB do supply a Full Air system for the LWB Sprinter but it costs in excess of £3k!! That's one of the systems fitted to NHS ambulances.

On the other hand the Drive Rite semi air system, which I had fitted, does have the cross member support (either side of the air bellows assembly) and cost about £1K fitted.

On such a heavy vehicle I would not play around with stated tyre pressures as any change in the area of tyre/road contact could affect the very sophisticated electronic braking system fitted to the Sprinter.

Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Burford Duo Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi checking vin info. I have C33 harder springs fitted. C43 rear axle stabiliser reinforced lower frame A50 front axle with increased carrying load. The Burford Duo looked low at back when purchased. So fitting a towbar hasn't helped. This has scrapped the ground twice. Airbags fitted but keep losing pressure. Installer keeps trying to fix the problem. Airbags helps when pressureisd. Nothing to it 2 airbags some hose and a gauge. Really need a rear suspension upgrade.
Burford Duo
Burford Duo

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:00 pm

I think you will find that fitting the tow bar might just have been enough to tip you into the soggy bottom arena! 
How much does it affect your payload allowance?
Liam

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:27 pm

Your options listed are as on my 2011 chassis, so standard AS spec to MB.

I have towbar fitted, but don't have a saggy bottom, even with the Smart trailer fitted.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:03 pm

Hi Peter,
I have to say that your Gloucester does look nice and level, but it seems that some of the latest models have a tendency (certainly visually) to tail end droop. The rear ends now are all squared off whereas yours is styled with rounded up to the rear end which visually looks correct. 
There is also the issue of the under-slung water tanks which are now fitted to the extreme rear (along with the spare wheel) of the vehicle. Which in the case of the fresh water could be up to 91kgs (if full) pivoting well beyond the rear axle! 
Liam

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:31 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Your options listed are as on my 2011 chassis, so standard AS spec to MB.

I have towbar fitted, but don't have a saggy bottom, even with the Smart trailer fitted.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
  Could you check the clearance to your axle stop.This may be on the bump stops.
  My Symphony was!!
  Regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:43 am

Hi Peter L.
A small point but that rear engine car appears to be helping the back end upwards.

Regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:26 am

The trailer is designed for the Smart weight distribution, it has a positive hitch load. The hitch rises when trailer removed.

No bump stops fitted, removed when air bag assisters fitted.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Liam wrote:

On such a heavy vehicle I would not play around with stated tyre pressures as any change in the area of tyre/road contact could affect the very sophisticated electronic braking system fitted to the Sprinter.

Liam
Hi Liam,
A tad off the OP's question but to clarify. I know (within reasonable accuracy) the weights of the vehicle in various configurations and I then use the published weight to TP's listed in the Mercedes handbook and this does improve the ride comfort no end. I know the AS handbook says always use gross weight pressures but I am happy to use Merc's recommendations. All the best John allthumbz.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:58 am

Hi John,
I agree it is sensible to vary the TP's if you are confident of your varying weight but generally we maintain the same configuration and therefore tend to leave well alone. 

I find that the air system helps to iron out any load variation such as low fuel and low water - elements which tend to be the big contributors to any weight difference. As you know we don't generally do low weight day trips.

BTW, I think we must have cycled near your estate recently whilst in the Filey area (Spital rally) - a town we really enjoyed, very quaint but steep hills to get out!!!

Cheers Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2