Need to trace former owners

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need to trace former owners

Post by moonlightman on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:50 pm

This maybe an unusual request on here but here goes...
We recently purchased an Autosleeper Excelsior reg P534 GRR (as in Pic) now according to the V5C reg. doc. its had several owners since new and I am trying to trace anyone who has owned this vehicle. The current V5C states it is a Ford Transit 150 TD LWB now unfortunately for me Ive been to garage this morning to let them check something and they say its not got a turbo and the engine is only 80 bhp.... not 150 as on V5C....strange one might say.so somewhere along the line looks like its had an engine change but mechanics checking this morning says it looks like original engine and there would be certain features noticeable if in fact it had an engine change.
So...bit of a predicament.... DVLA should have been notified everyone thinks ...so if you have owned or know someone that has, please message me, I'd really appreciate it.

L
moonlightman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper Ford Exc

View user profile http://www.northnorfolkcaravanholidays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Need to trace former owners

Post by mikethebike on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi , I think that engine on your docs is wrong.
Around that time a 2.5 non turbo was common. Its not very powerful to say the least.
However many owners are satisfied.

Regards

Micky
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:13 pm

Hi,
Sorry to say you need to contact the seller as the vehicle in the v5c is not the vehicle he sold you. I hope you bought from a dealer.I hope there is a good explanation,
Chris
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sold it

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moonlightman on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:03 pm

thanks Mikey and Chris trying to get to the bottom of it. The vehicle itself is a crackin bit of kit and we are quite happy with performance as we don't race about in motorhomes having just sold a 28ft'er. still like to find out whats happened
moonlightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:11 pm

That's interesting our Amethyst is the same, log book says Turbo under the bonnet says not keep forgetting to get in touch with DVLA. I think their computer system is in error myself. I checked all the numbers out with regards to engine and its as original. I am not that bothered, but must get in touch and ask them but been so busy its slipped my mind. I wonder if their computer system is not particularly accurate on older model details and lumps them all together. This is the DVLA were talking about not always terribly efficient like you love the transit van. hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
m8form8

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:45 pm

Hi,
Personally I would be most concerned that the v5c does not correspond with the actual van, the insurance would also take a dim view. I would park it up until it is sorted. The turbo engine did have its problems, wastegate, electronic throttle etc. But converting to non turbo would not be straight forward,
Chris
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sold it

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:10 pm

It is possible for the DVLA records and hence the V5C to be incorrect.

I had an issue with my car which only came to light via the AA's online insurance quotation system. When I put my reg no in, it came up with the correct details apart from the fact it showed it as a manual gearbox when in fact it's an automatic and always has been.  When I queried it with the AA they said their computer picked it up from the DVLA computer which must also have been wrong.  I wrote to the DVLA enclosing a copy of the invoice from the leasing company from whom I had bought it, who were the original registrants.  DVLA wrote said they could only change it if I got a confirmation letter directly from the original manufacturer confirming it was manufactured with automatic transmission and including the DVLA/SMMT make and model codes.  After chasing Vauxhall, I then received the required confirmation and sent it to the DVLA with the old V5C; they fairly promptly then issued a new V5C showing the automatic transmission.  Over a year later the AA system was still showing it as a manual but I don't know whether that may be because they only update their system infrequently or possibly only with new registrations.

One thing to check though, to ensure the vehicle hasn't been cloned or whatever, is whether the VIN number on the actual vehicle matches the V5C.

Last edited by rogerblack on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by moonlightman on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:20 pm

yes the vin number is matching its just the engine bhp and turbo bit that's wrong , I'll be contacting insurance in morning
moonlightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:33 pm

Is it the case that with motorhome conversions, the original DVLA registration is done by the converter rather than the vehicle base manufacturer? If so, then it might be worth checking with Autosleeper, quoting their original job number which on mine is written on a sticker in the glove-box.  

Although if they have inadvertently registered it with the wrong engine details, their internal paperwork may also be similarly wrong . . .
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:44 pm

Try putting your VIN into this program. http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/ford_eu
Not sure how far back it covers, but may give you the original ford build information.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:55 am

Go onto the Ford Etis website enter the vans details and it will tell you when and where it was built what engine gearbox etc along with any extras it came out of the factory with

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moonlightman on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:22 am

thanks Peter L. and Roger  just done that and thats the first time all the details have come out what it actaully is. 2.5D 80bhp so i have to investigate with Autosleeper and DVLA now
moonlightman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by micknhilary on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:47 am

I had an Excelsior some years ago so memory a bit vague. However I do remember that the log book said Turbo Diesel but in fact it wasn't. It was not sold to me as a TD.  As I recall I merely informed DVLC or whoever and they changed the paperwork. No big deal I think.
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shipbadger on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:49 pm

Just checked my vehicle dtails on the Ford Etis site, they look correct (as expected) but my newly arrived V5c says it's a Transit 100 SWB (not 150L), although correctly it says Motor Caravan.

After 17 years I shan't lose any sleep.  I once had a blue car (original factory colour) but after several attempts could not persuade the DVLA it was not green so gave up.

Tony Comber
shipbadger
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wargenwolf on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:35 pm

moonlightman wrote:........ So...bit of a predicament.... DVLA should have been notified everyone thinks ...so if you have owned or know someone that has, please message me, I'd really appreciate it........

If you end up needing the information, DLA hold full records of all disclosed previous owner history and will provide you with it on request, but only if you can convince them of the legitimacy and reasoning of your request.

From my previous dealings with them, your reasons would be borderline, but definitely worth a go if all else fails.

That said, even if you were to write to every previous keeper, there is no guarantee that they would still be alive, still at the same address, or even just be bothered enough to respond to you.

Good luck.
Wargenwolf
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum