Peugeot vs Vw vs Ford

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Peugeot vs Vw vs Ford

Post by Lofty on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:26 pm

I know I am biased,always been a VW person.So, choosing our Gatcombe was a no brainer really.We've owned her nearly 6 months now.Had her re mapped when we got her.I am averaging 38 mpg.The 2.5 tdi is a fine engine.She is bijou and meets our needs perfectly. allthumbz
Lofty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:08 pm

What fuel are you using Lofty?  I am getting more than that and I haven`t had her re-mapped. same engine, just wondered.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lofty on Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi daisy mae, it's nearly always Shell, normal not v-power. Used to use Tesco too but not since fuel points ceased.
Lofty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:44 pm

I have found it is more economical to use the best fuel. 46.6mpg mixed driving including long distance in this country
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by John M. on Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:45 pm

Nobody seems to have mentioned the advantage of rear wheel drive on Transits.  Gets my vote every time.
John M.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kenj on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:57 pm

I run a 1999 Transit and I would not change 23000 miles going strong they say the newer ones are not as good not tried by my so cannot comment.
kenj

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW Topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:16 am

think_smiley_46  We are still trying to sort out what to swap our Duetto for. The Eton was around longer than the Gatcombe so we could get a newer Eton for the same money as a late Gatcombe. The only slight flaw being the beds !!. If I have read things correctly the Eton is a double bed only. I try sometimes go away with my son and I aint sharing a double with him. Management likes the newer looking interior of the Eton.  This is not going to be easy. tap_fingers .
I thought the Duetto would fall foul of the MOT this time but once again it passed with no advisories again. At 96000 it has life left in her but the amount it cost to sort the body last time I just cant face that any more.
We have had our last weekend away so we will start looking properly and make sure we get what we both want. gettinwrong

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:34 am

All i can say is do your research. Things like the bed  arrangement will be difficult to change afterwards.
If you make a mistake ,and many do, you will be changing again with the added cost.

Best of luck

Micky
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:06 pm

The Gatcombe/Clubman has the excellent Fanmaster gas/electric heater.
The Eaton has the dreaded Eberspacher (spelling) 
and also imho is a little Spartan and I think you can only have a double bed though one could have specified a single option at new build.
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2009

View user profile http://rathlarg@btinternet.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 on Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:00 pm

think_smiley_46 Some interesting  points have come from the responses so far. Looking at the Etons advertised for sale they have some good points like storage ideas, drawers etc and they are  cheaper to buy. 
The Clubman has always appealed to me and I think you know when some thing is rite from the start.
As I said earlier having driven the 2.5 TDI T4 it is very appealing. We are thinking this van will take us into retirement, I have an on going problem with my joints so I will have to think towards management driving more than me so the T4 might be easier on her.
I have gathered lots of information, road tests and the likes from the web so lots of sussing and boggling. studying
This time we may buy early in the year to get a full season out of it. We bought the Duetto at the end of the summer and had to wait for the spring to use it.

Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic on Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Some people are looking for panel vans (Duetto etc) at the end of the 'season' and so you may get a good price for it as trade in or private sale and then if you are really not using the motorvan over the winter you would be in a good position to buy for 'cash'
Some people use their panel van all year round and providing you keep the heating on and the water tanks empty (frost) camping is still fun. A late 2003/4 T4 base is imho is the best choice.
Don't be seduced by the  Mk6 auto Ford Eaton's as any probs with the auto system could be problematic (see previous threads on Duroshift Fords )
 frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2009

View user profile http://rathlarg@btinternet.com

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:05 pm

I use my T4 clubman all the year round, can vouch for the heating , had the diesel heating in my Topaz, got very warm but also very noisy, especially if you wanted it on through the night, so I personally wouldn`t go for that again. Mines a late 2003 can recommend.

Good luck with your search, now is a buyers market, the end of the season for some.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modgirl66 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:36 pm

Hi daisy mae...hope you don't mind me asking what do you mean by best fuel? and can you tell me what is re-mapped we have a 20 yr old vw.d autosleeper and we love everything about Vinnie ....x
modgirl66

Female

Auto-Sleeper : VW Autosleeper GL
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:09 am

Hi modgirl66,

The fuel I use is BP Ultimate, dearer than "normal diesel" but I get a lot  more miles from  tank, van is quieter, smoother, and according to my mechanic, the engine is cleaner, so less wear and tear.

I don`t really understand about the remapping, but something is altered in the engine management system which I don`t think it can be done on yours, I maybe very wrong on this so I will stand to be corrected, if you put remapping in search engine it will come up, although they may be a thread on here, I personally wouldn`t go down that route one reason as it is classed as a modification and insurance will want to know, also I am more than happy with my van as it is.

We have great vans so well built and comfortable, plus they hold their price, a bonus. Hope this is of some help.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modgirl66 on Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:30 am

thank you for your quick reply good to know I am always learning....enjoy you MH as we do ...x
modgirl66

Female

Auto-Sleeper : VW Autosleeper GL
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:36 am

You could well find an Eton with a Truma system instead of the Eberspatcher, our Windsor was supposed to have diesel heating but we ordered it with the Truma system.  We have seen others also with this option.
Our Mk7 Tranny is head and shoulders up on the Pugs and as previously stated the RWD can be an advatage particularly if you do much rallying

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum