Auto-Sleeper Guarantees

Go down

Auto-Sleeper Guarantees Empty Auto-Sleeper Guarantees

Post by poppy3 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:06 pm

Hi All,
I am looking to purchase a AS Nuevo EK, just a bit worried about the old fashion way they are built (using wood) as opposed to the Swift new construction.

I was also surprised that AS only give a 2 year Guarantee on the build!, as opposed to Swift with 10 years. The point I was worried about was water ingress/structural failure etc, EG. Big bills once out of the 2 year Guarantee. I feel AS don't seem to have confidence in their products! otherwise - why not a reasonable Guarantee?

My AS Dealer has just put my mind at rest by offering extended cover of both the AS Build and the the main parts of the Engine/Gear box etc, for £600, (excludes wear and tear) so I will be fully covered for 5 years, which is more like it.

Can any one who has an AS out of Guarantee (2 year + old) tell me how good (or bad) the problems you have had, and how does AS respond.

I have always has Swift for the last 25 years (both Motor-homes and Caravans) and always had good service from Swift, trouble is they don't make a model like the AS Nuevo EK. So it looks like I will joining the AS Club (I hope its the right decision!!!!)

I look forward to hearing back from you all.....

Regards Poppy
poppy3
poppy3

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Guarantees Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Guarantees

Post by artheytrate on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:13 pm

I think the Swift 10 year guarantee you will have to have the van's habitation check every year. Sorry can't help with your other question as I've only owned our 2014 Broadway 19 months, this is my 5th van in 11 years and it's the best quality out of all, and saying this I've had a few faults which have been repaired or replaced by A/S very efficiently.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:35 pm

Swift 10 year warranty is only for the first owner (otherwise 6 years) and it is for the body only, 3 years on anything else. 

http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/motorhomes/warranty/coachbuilt-warranty

AS warranty is good 2 years on all aspects of the conversion.

Bailey introduced a 10 year warranty when they introduced their Alutech build system but dropped it to 6 years within a year of introduction. Often these seemingly long warranties are just a 'draw you in' marketing ploy.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm on Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:46 pm

Paulmold wrote:Swift 10 year warranty is only for the first owner (otherwise 6 years) and it is for the body only, 3 years on anything else. 

http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/motorhomes/warranty/coachbuilt-warranty

AS warranty is good 2 years on all aspects of the conversion.

Bailey introduced a 10 year warranty when they introduced their Alutech build system but dropped it to 6 years within a year of introduction. Often these seemingly long warranties are just a 'draw you in' marketing ploy.
AS second year warranty on "all aspects of the conversion" can seem quite misleading.
They don't cover interior or exterior door hinges and catches, interior or exterior surface finishes, glass worktops or mirrors, soft furnishings or carpets, curtains, window and roof light glazing units or fly screens, stays or catches, microwaves, cookers, grills, hobs, refrigerators, water and space heaters tv's or audio equipment or any lighting equipment.

Original equipment suppliers ( fridge cooker windows awnings etc) generally guarantee their products for 2 years and you may be lucky that your dealer will liase with the manufacturers and assist in the repairs.

My Truma Combi 4e developed a fault at 26 months, I contacted Truma who are going to pay for any replacement parts as long as I pay labour. My dealer is going to fix it, as well as replace the fridge door, free of charge, that started cracking just within the 24 month Thetford warranty period
ajrm
ajrm

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:03 pm

poppy3 wrote:Hi All,
I am looking to purchase a AS Nuevo EK, just a bit worried about the old fashion way they are built (using wood) as opposed to the Swift new construction.

I was also surprised that AS only give a 2 year Guarantee on the build!, as opposed to Swift with 10 years. The point I was worried about was water ingress/structural failure etc, EG. Big bills once out of the 2 year Guarantee. I feel AS don't seem to have confidence in their products! otherwise - why not a reasonable Guarantee?

My AS Dealer has just put my mind at rest by offering extended cover of both the AS Build and the the main parts of the Engine/Gear box etc, for £600, (excludes wear and tear) so I will be fully covered for 5 years, which is more like it.

Can any one who has an AS out of Guarantee (2 year + old) tell me how good (or bad) the problems you have had, and how does AS respond.

I have always has Swift for the last 25 years (both Motor-homes and Caravans) and always had good service from Swift, trouble is they don't make a model like the AS Nuevo EK. So it looks like I will joining the AS Club (I hope its the right decision!!!!)

I look forward to hearing back from you all.....

Regards Poppy
Are the new ones built with real wood,? I know my van has real wood woodwork, a joiner remarked on the good quality. I am always a bit dubious when something is "new and improved " myself, as the quality isn`t as good. jmho
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst and Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2003.98

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:45 pm

They have removed the solid wood from worktop and table edges.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm on Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:12 am

It's all plywood with a very nice veneer finish.  Certainly a lot better built than most other vans I looked at, especially the new German vans, and I liked the finish much better than the other British makes we considered.

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:10 am

I think the original question was whether AS still constructed the outer shell using a wooden frame as opposed to the other 'new' methods used by Swift and Elddis.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GWAYGWAY on Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:04 pm

Are they wooden frames? I thought the bodies were foam and GRP, Is this the case with all the bodies, Burford etc?
GWAYGWAY
GWAYGWAY

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:55 am

I've had three vans during the AS warranty period and all faults have been dealt with by AS appropriately - I have no complaint at all.

I think about 8 years ago they rewrote the warranty documentation into the current form which is very clear - if you read it.

The floor, ceiling and walls of recent coachbuilts are made at the AS factory.

The build table has a laser projector above it that projects the batten layout onto the table. Precut wooden battens for fixing and strength points as well as general assembly design are laid out on the projected lines and stapled together. Foam insulation is put into the gaps and then the appropriate inner and outer surfaces are glued on in a big press. Aperture's for door and windows are then cut by a CNC machine.

Front top and sides are covered with a GRP moulding produced by Cheltenham Laminates

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum