Over cab bed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Over cab bed

Post by cheethama1 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:30 pm

I am still looking for an autosleeper, preferably Executive or Clubman, but looking at all models.
I really need the overcab bed, mainly for storage of camoing equipment. We have seen several good ones but with cupboards over
the cab.
Has anyone ever removed the cupboards and fitted a bed or shelf in the space?
Thanks for any ideas!!
Anne
cheethama1

Female

Member Age : 22
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Over cab bed

Post by -mojo- on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:43 pm

I've owned an A/S van conversion with an over-cab cupboard (instead of a kiddies bed) and the cupboard was really capacious and very practical. If you get one with a bed instead it's likely that you will have to improvise something on the front to stop your gear from sliding out onto the floor when you go up steep hills. If you get one with cupboard(s) it may be relatively simple to remove the cupboard front (on mine it was just a large handful of screws) but then you face the same problem of keeping the gear in place (with netting, perhaps).
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by micknhilary on Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:59 am

My Executive (1995) had the overcab area complete with mattress and safety net. It also had the cupboard front with a single access hatch in the centre. This was located without the need of any screws, merely a couple of sliding bolts.
As there was only the two of us I found it easier to remove the cupboard front and store it in the loft. The mattress I left in situ but covered it with a tarpaulin to protect it. This then gave us a huge storage area. Nothing ever fell out.
I think the old adage 'Seek and you shall find' is appropriate in this case. There seems to be a variation in the style of the overcab area.

Good Hunting.      Mick.     up!
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikejack on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:39 am

We have the medallion with over cab bed when its not in use it folds up and has a cupboard door on it. We store all our bedding in there. When we are away with the kids i just leave it down with all the stuff up there got to watch out you dont bash your head into it though.

Mike
mikejack

Male

Member Age : 46
Auto-Sleeper : medallion
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by beachgazer on Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:56 pm

This net:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321482268187?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Fits our Legend, and I guess many similar motorhomes really well...keeps stuff and dog if necessary on the bed shelf.....
beachgazer

Male

Member Age : 48
Auto-Sleeper : Legend GL-D-1989,
Vehicle Year : 1989

View user profile http://www.campelvan.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tove.H on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:18 pm

we have a 1990 legend gl and was looking for something like this (net) so thanks for sharing.
Tove.H
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 46
Auto-Sleeper : Ford Transit legend
Vehicle Year : 1990

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by beachgazer on Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:17 pm

Tove.H wrote:we have a 1990 legend gl and was looking for something like this (net) so thanks for sharing.
Glad to help..takes about 10 days to meander its way from China or wherever...but its good quality with screws sticky bits etc. For about a fiver..Nice!
beachgazer

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:31 pm

Our 95 Amethyst has the over cab double, we store loads on it and it has half way folding and two bolts that hold it half on an angle which stops anything sliding off. smile! _/ like that..
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:37 am

Something to consider, If you DO get one with the overhead bed, & are going to use it for storage only, then remember that when its folded down at head height,  driving will be difficult with the 'roof' on your head!!  Thats the whole idea of it folding 'up' out of the way.
That overcab area is huge, & I would think it will easily take canoeing gear & maybe even the canoe itself. hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beachgazer on Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:37 am

modelman wrote:Something to consider, If you DO get one with the overhead bed, & are going to use it for storage only, then remember that when its folded down at head height,  driving will be difficult with the 'roof' on your head!!  Thats the whole idea of it folding 'up' out of the way.
That overcab area is huge, & I would think it will easily take canoeing gear & maybe even the canoe itself. hugegrins

Personally I have no difficulty driving with the overhead bed in position on our legend. (I'm 6'4"). In fact the previous owner, who used the overcab bed as the main bed, never took  it down. I Find this set up, as opposed to the fixed cupboards, a flexible and very usable solution. When we moved house last year this space took several storage boxes.
beachgazer

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum