VW Clubman GL water ingress back cupboard

View previous topic View next topic Go down

VW Clubman GL water ingress back cupboard

Post by nelson9084 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:23 pm

Can anyone help? We have water ingress somewhere in the rear of our VW clubman GL. It is showing itself by staining the wood frame at each end of the rear cupboards above the sink and the cooker and has crept along the wood at both ends of the frame. It is along the bottom of the frame and a small amount where the bottom frame joins the upright.
I can't find anywhere it may be coming into the body and the insides of these cupboards appear to  be dry.
Has anyone seen anything like this before and if so what can I do to fix it.

We also have a leak through the rear window, but think the window seals need replacing which we plan to have done at the end of the season.

We have had the van for 6 years. There was a slight stain on the side above the sink when we first bought the van, but it never changed until about 18 months ago when the stain appeared on the other side and both stains started creeping along the wood slowly

Thanks to anyone that may be able to help
nelson9084

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: VW Clubman GL water ingress back cupboard

Post by daisy mae on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:46 pm

If it was me I wouldn`t wait until the end of the season to get the windows seals changed, if you have water ingress now, it is storing more and an expensive repair may have to be done,

If you have water getting in do not wait it needs dealing with immediately,

this may sound hash but believe me I have seen the damage that water can do, we had a brand new caravan first time out I noticed damp on the ceiling, went back to dealer. the roof had to be rolled back, shower out and the back end rebuilt. not saying this to frighten you just to make you aware that you put of dealing with water coming in at your peril.

Monocoque bodies don`t leak thank goodness, the windows and sky lights are another matter, have you checked the aerial,  chimney and sky lights on the roof, that is where I would get checked out to start off with , re water in your top end cupboards. anywhere that water can get in it will, check the seals.

Someone else may have other ideas, hope you get it sorted quickly.
Good luck,
Best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson9084 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:56 pm

Thanks margaret i appreciate your help. The only reason i was going to wait is we are about to go away and cant get the van in to be repaired until we get back. We had the aerial taken off and blanked a couple of months ago due to a leak and hoped this would stop the cupboard problem, but unless it is left over water inside the roof space, that hasnt solved the staining. I've heard condensation can cause some problems with those cupboards as well.
Thanks again
Kind regards
Sandra
nelson9084

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by terrybrinklow on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:46 am

Hi as soon as it`s dry put some black electrical tape at the top of the window on the frame and top of the window .It can run in through the top hinge of the window and then down the inside of the window.As  temporary repair it only takes 5 minutes to do costs pence and [in my case]can last months.The water is then diverted down the outside of the window and not inside.
terrybrinklow
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:50 am

When not in use, is the Clubman stored on level ground, or is there a (however slight) slope backwards?

The external seal around the "chimney" from the gas-fired side of the heater - the chimney flue comes up through the wardrobe and through the roof - is a source of leaks. It can be cured from the roof by applying suitable sealant.

Water creeps far and wide. Mind you, the stains which you report at either end of the rear cupboard suggest that the leak is indeed from the rear window, but it's worth also checking the flue.
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson9084 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:54 am

Thanks to both for these suggestions and ideas. I'll have a look at the flue this weekend and try the electrical tape.
Kind regards
Sandra
nelson9084

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jt2011 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:09 pm

Its worth checking the door on the outside for the cassette toilet.

If there is a gap between the top of the door and the body, water can find its way in here and show up on the interior.

Solution is to fit a rubber or strip of dense foam on the top of the door to form a seal.

jt2011
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson9084 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:52 pm

Thanks I'll check the cassette toilet door as well.
nelson9084

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave H on Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:56 am

We had a 99 Talisman owned from new for 13 years. My Wife got up one night to go to the toilet and just outside the toilet door realized that the carpet was saturated with water. This was the first indication that there was anything wrong and it was quite a surprise. We just could not fathom out where water was coming into the van. We took it to AS by appointment and after looking at it they decided that there might be a problem with the rear window. They took it out and showed us where the water was coming in and where the wood frame had rotted. They replaced and resealed it and we left that same afternoon with the job done. We were billed as by then the vehicle was well out of warranty.
The only other leak was from the external chimney which was situated above the wardrobe, The seal had gone and I ended up with wet shirts. I was able to sort that out myself with a replacement unit. Hope this info. is of some use, it is so difficult to trace where the problem is with water ingress

Dave H

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikejack on Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:15 am

We had a small leak in the exact place on our medallion( bottom of the over sink cupboards corner and on the rear of the sink unit) so i took the window surround off inside the van thinking it was the back window. It was higher up and turned out to be the high level marker light. Its a poor design as it sits right under the roof drain so all water run off flows over the light. Hope this is your leak as its easy to fix by resealing the lights.

Mike
mikejack

Male

Auto-Sleeper : medallion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson9084 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:29 am

Hi Mike
Thanks for this. Do you mean the two reflector type lights on the back near the roof? Sorry, I'm not very technical !!
What did you reseal them with.
Really appreciate your help
Kind regards
Sandra
nelson9084

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikejack on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:37 pm

Yes on our medallion they are directly under the roof drains i used non setting caravan mastic sealer. As you will need to get them out if you need to changer the bulb.

Mike
mikejack

Male

Auto-Sleeper : medallion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nelson9084 on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Cheers Mike thats great
Sandra
nelson9084

Female