Water on the move ?

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Water on the move ?

Post by Charliefarlie on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:37 pm

Do you folk carry water when travelling ? We have up to now taken enough water for a brew in plastic bottles. But is it fine to fill the fresh water tank with say 20 litres and drive with that ? 

Must admit I've driven with water in the tank and not heard or felt it sloshing about. 

Are the tanks baffled ? And what do you do ? 

Cheers .  up!

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Water on the move ?

Post by Dutto on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi there,

We mainly use just bottled water when on the move. allthumbz

More to do with "fuel economy" than worrying about the water tank. Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:05 pm

We fill up before setting out. The weight of a tank full of water is insignificant compared to three and a half tons of van.

5mph increase in speed, or a 5mph headwind will make far more difference to the fuel consumption.

Dave

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:23 pm

We fill up whenever we can and would rather have a minimal increase in mpg than arrive empty somewhere with no water supply. We have never noticed any slopping around whatever the state of the tank. We' ve not noticed - though not looked for specifically - any difference in mpg when full or empty.
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:16 pm

Same as quilter, full tank whenever on the move apart from the final day of a trip on the run home when I open the drain tap. When abroad I also fill up 25 litres in two carriers, plus a 5 litre fresh water bottle. We can usually manage 4 days between fill ups, and we both shower every day at that. When travelling we never usually have a clue where we'll be staying the night, it might be an aire or camper stop with water available, but then again it might be some deserted beach or an empty ski station at the top of a mountain. In a motorhome you're carrying everything including the kitchen sink. If you have water and power from a solar panel, camp sites are irrelevant.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:22 pm

I fill up at home then top up with a watering can perhaps a couple a day or so, I also carry two 5ltr water containers for drinking water, water in the tank for washing, showering, teeth cleaning and boiling for tea, etc also washing the pots.

Wouldn`t go without putting water in the on board tank, that is what it is there for, I still get 40-46 mpg on a run, when stuck in traffic like leaving Malvern I got 38mpg. that is with a full water tank, yes I did fill it up before I left Malvern, was going on to somewhere else.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:35 pm

We always travel with a full water tank - but use 3 x 2litre plastic bottles for our drinking water. These fit snuggly in the passenger door pocket when on the move.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo / Lancashire

View user profile http://www.uk-sites.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:50 pm

Gromit wrote:We fill up before setting out. The weight of a tank full of water is insignificant compared to three and a half tons of van.

5mph increase in speed, or a 5mph headwind will make far more difference to the fuel consumption.

Dave
Dave,

I agree entirely .... allthumbz

....but whereas you cannot do anything about a headwind you can ease back off the throttle and try not to use the brakes .... wave

.... and then gain the marginal benefit of running with an empty tank. wave

We average +/- 11,000 miles per year so even a marginal improvement on mpg is beneficial. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:37 am

If I'm going long distances then it's always with an empty tank, and just a 5l bottle of water inside for drinks. Once I get to the area I'm going to travel around in short hops I'll normally have the tank half to three quarters full, but that will always get emptied out before any further long driving stints.

I can't see any point in lugging lots of water hundreds of miles - and I also like the fact that the water in the tank is never more than a few days old, even when I'm away for weeks. The latter is not so much of an issue on the current van, where the entire tank is inboard and not vented to the road, but on our older vans the fact that it was so easy for road dust to enter the fresh water tank was a bit of a concern...
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:54 am

Interesting replies thanks !

It was never about the MPG. I just cant be bothered to worry about stuff like that ! I was just a wee bit concerned about whether the tanks were designed to carry such weight while on the move ..

I will I think fill half way.. 

Cheers.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:22 am

Dutto wrote:Ian
....but whereas you cannot do anything about a headwind you can ease back off the throttle and try not to use the brakes .... wave
We average +/- 11,000 miles per year so even a marginal improvement on mpg is beneficial. allthumbz
Hi Ian

I see you learned to drive your vehicle - not simply to aim it!! I never entered the Mobil Economy Run, but being of a certain age we were both taught how to do it. biggrin

Young motorists today know nothing, eh!! shrugg

On your second point, I wonder just how marginal it is? A full tank will make a negative difference only when accelerating, and technically speaking that includes going up hills. On the flat it will make virtually no difference, and decelerating (including downhill) it will make a slight positive difference.

Hmmmmmmmm. Interesting that!

Dave
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:19 am

We only ever drink bottled water but the main tank is always full when travelling ( except locally of course).Like bikeralw if we are abroad and wild camping or using aires we will carry two 25L cans as well, that way there is no faffing around and we can get water whenever we see it easily available.
Not necessary of course if you are staying largely on sites.

Agree with Gromit you could easily negate the cost of carrying the water by driving properly!
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:49 am

groundhog wrote:We only ever drink bottled water but the main tank is always full when travelling ( except locally of course).Like bikeralw if we are abroad and wild camping or using aires we will carry two 25L cans as well, 

Even in bleakest winter, when getting water on aires etc is not always possible or safe, we have never felt the need to carry 150 kg of water. We have 3800 kg plated weight but are more concerned about the internal distribution of weight and that extra 50 kg, plus bottled water presumably, would not help. We don't use bottled water, except in extremis.

Do you ever get to the stage where you have used all your 150 plus litres and still can't fill up somewhere ?
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:11 am

In answer to the last bit, yes, many times. For instance we've relied on filling up at a remote aire before heading into the Alps off the beaten track for a few days, only to find water either not available or only accessed by a token we don't have. Many's the time I've filled up from a mountain stream waterfall. Still here to tell the tale.
Like has been said, it depends on how you use your van.
bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:23 am

bikeralw wrote:In answer to the last bit, yes, many times. For instance we've relied on filling up at a remote aire before heading into the Alps off the beaten track for a few days, only to find water either not available or only accessed by a token we don't have. Many's the time I've filled up from a mountain stream waterfall. Still here to tell the tale.
Like has been said, it depends on how you use your van.

That is a different case: you know you're going off piste for a period so yes, you'll fill up with as much as possible to see you over the duration. Simply treking between aires, even in winter, we've never found it necessary to carry more than the 100 litres in the tank.

We do keep that full however when we can. Baby wipes for washing and a spray bottle of water plus lavender oil for the loo make sure we can last without a fill for some time. In our younger days we lived and motorhomed all over east, central and southern Africa: no aires, few campsites, children and yet we didn't even have an onboard tank and carried one 30 kitre jerry can and filled where we could. We're stll here to tell the tale !
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:25 am

That's fine whatever you are comfortable with, I have never run out of water but have met people on the road who are desperately searching and once even tankered water to them via the whale pump. Selling and operating passenger jets for a living I understand weight and balance better than most, yes care must be taken but if you are in the payload as long as axle weights are not compromised or exceeded it is not an issue. As you know heavy items low down lighter ones above. I doubt we exceed 120kgs of water and the waste tank is always emptied to reduce tail weight.

We always go to the weighbridge just to check before departure and if we are in area where water is usually readily available then it is not an issue and the extra cans are just collapsed and stowed away.

Nice to have the facility though when it is hot and water is not always easy to come by in parts of Southern Europe.
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:58 am

Point taken groundhog ! We have had some near misses: carrying 12 x 2 litre bottles up the hill back to Forges les Eaux  aire when the water there was unexpectedly still turned off in April, the water tap at Vitoria Gasteiz which had been left to drip and had coated the whole service area in sheet ice one December, filling up in Caminha to discover that the hose we had to use as it would not come off the tap was the one used for sluicing the nearby public toilets....
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:31 pm

We carry 12x1 1/2 ltr bottles of Highland spring ,mainly for the dog, rarely run with fresh water tank full, only if we intend go park up in the remote areas of the highlands.
Botty wipes for last minute face wash and the dogs bot.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:19 pm

If we were just in the UK I wouldn't bother with extra water unless possibly wild camping somewhere remote, it is really only when in Europe we carry it. Sometimes what comes out of the tap in these areas doesn't look too good! snigger
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:25 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:We carry 12x1 1/2 ltr bottles of Highland spring ,mainly for the dog, rarely run with fresh water tank full, only if we intend go park up in the remote areas of the highlands.
Botty wipes for last minute face wash and the dogs bot.
Boaby

Highland Spring!! Can I suggest next time you try Buxton Mineral... I'm sure the dog will appreciate a drink of award winning water.. Well I guess I have to flog my home town product..
Al.
bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Hi Al
She's 14 in November and has been drinking Highland spring all her life, so have we, carn't stand this hard water here in Bridlington.
Highland spring comes from Perthshire and is not a mineral water.
No doubt I will get pooh poohed for not drinking tap water!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:04 pm

Straying off the subject a little Boaby, but Buxton also produces a spring water. In my opinion it's inferior to the mineral. The mineral is supposedly ancient water sucked out of the depths of the earth's crust, whereas spring is just what it says, it comes off the moors that I look out on from my house.
Regarding tap water, ours is the best there is for brewing a cuppa. My son lives in Hockley Essex, and the water there is vile. Whenever we visit we take our own supply from home for brewing up.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate on Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:02 pm

We always travel with full tank and I also drink the water from tank have done so with the last 5 motorhomes and still here.

John.
artheytrate

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:13 pm

artheytrate wrote:We always travel with full tank and I also drink the water from tank have done so with the last 5 motorhomes and still here.

John.

But, if that' s you on your avatar John then you are clearly a changed man....
Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Gromit wrote:...........

On your second point, I wonder just how marginal it is? A full tank will make a negative difference only when accelerating, and technically speaking that includes going up hills. On the flat it will make virtually no difference, and decelerating (including downhill) it will make a slight positive difference.

Hmmmmmmmm. Interesting that!

Dave

Dave,

You asked for it!!

1.  A Newton is ....

.... equal to the force that would give a mass of one kilogram an acceleration of one metre per second per second.

2.  A Joule is ....

.... equal to the work done by a force of one newton when its point of application moves one metre in the direction of action of the force,
equivalent to one 3600th of a watt-hour.

3.  A Watt is ....

.... equal to one Joule per second and can be used to express the rate of energy conversion or transfer with respect to time.

So ....

When an object's velocity is held constant at one meter per second against constant opposing force of one Newton
the rate at which work is done is 1 watt.
Simple!
As  we are away to France on Monday I will let you work out for yourself how much energy it takes to accelerate 50kg of water to 110kph .... Whistle1Whistle1
.... but as you can see, it is significant. allthumbz allthumbz
Best regards, best_friends drinksallround best_friends
Ian
PSDecelerating also takes a load of energy!!  It is usually changed from Kinetic Energy to Heat Energy via the brake discs and shoes! champagne champagne

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum