Restoration project

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Restoration project

Post by TeamRienza on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:17 pm

There is an excellant post on mhf in the classic section posted today called 'Sherpa Autosleeper project'

Loads of photos and a good description. Should be of particular interest to you guys who are in panel vans or self building.

Worth a visit. agree3

Davy
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Restoration project

Post by stevomar on Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:36 am

Very interesting TR

I've often thought what it would be like to reovate an old AS- I recon the AS components would outlast those of the base vehicle
Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sherpa?

Post by Cello297 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:10 pm

If it's a Sherpa they certainly would!

I bought one years ago. The seller apologised for the fact that one of the windows had fallen out that morning. On the way back to Harvington the other one blew out on the Motorway!

crazypilot
Cello297
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Cello297 wrote:If it's a Sherpa they certainly would!

I bought one years ago. The seller apologised for the fact that one of the windows had fallen out that morning. On the way back to Harvington the other one blew out on the Motorway!

crazypilot

lol4 They don't make em like they used to! Whistle1

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by SherpaSam on Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:39 am

The Auto-sleepers are better than the standard Sherpas as they waxoiled and rustproofed at the conversion stage. That said, my Sherpa has suspicious amounts of Silicone sealer round the windows. so_sad
SherpaSam

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Clarebear on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:27 pm

It sounds like someone here may be able to help! I have a 1985 Sherpa Autosleeper which is very very damp! She is a project which I would like to have done by the summer, festival season! Today I went to start work on her and she is damp and lots of mould and really smells! I think it may be something to do with the door seals, anyone have any suggestions on fixing this issue!

I want to change the flooring, curtains and possibly interior covering due to the damp but don't want to do anything before I get the damp situation sorted! I am going todry her out and store her in a barn for a while. BUT can anyone suggest anything else?

Look forward to hearing from someone, anyone :-)

CB confused3
Clarebear

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sherpa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SherpaSam on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:13 pm

Has it been standing unused for some time, if so hopefully it's mainly condensation and a little ingress around the windows. If it isn't driven, there's no heat or airflow to blow this out.
Having said that; Most of the damp (and rust) in mine came from the hole cut in the floor (by some previous owner to move sink pipes ) just in front of the rear wheels, which sent road spray right along under the flooring. The chances of a similar idiot getting hold of yours is slight, but do check the floor for holes; rust holes under the front mats are quite common in older vans.
I also have leakage from my windscreen seal, where it has a join, which I don't think should be there, so possibly also the work of a previous "Renovator".
While looking around the windscreen for signs of leakage, it's also checking around the wiper spindles.
If you're lucky enough to have a dry barn to use, I would suggest removing all the mats, "soft furnishings" and anything else easy to take out then raising the roof, but with one of the side flaps down so air can circulate freely (assuming it's that type of roof). Also, while the roof's up, check for leaks or rot in the roof joints and seals.
When you say "change the flooring" do you mean some form of carpeting, or the "lino" covered chipboard (at least mine is ) underneath everything; Big job !
Are the curtains original ? and do they use the loop tape type of rail fittings ? Can't they just be washed or even dyed rather than replaced.
It's your project, but I wouldn't add work and cost where it's not needed, and remaking curtains that hang nicely on those fittings isn't easy, at least I found it a pain.
As far as the doors, you should be able to see if the seals are sealing, and if not (if like mine), it's a matter of loosening the hinge bolts and/or the catch plate, (both of which have some movement) and moving the door till it fits. Personally, I would mark round the mounts before loosening them, and only loosen a little so the door doesn't move itself.
Good luck,
Sam
SherpaSam

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:40 am

Clarebear wrote:It sounds like someone here may be able to help! I have a 1985 Sherpa Autosleeper which is very very damp! She is a project which I would like to have done by the summer, festival season! Today I went to start work on her and she is damp and lots of mould and really smells! I think it may be something to do with the door seals, anyone have any suggestions on fixing this issue!

I want to change the flooring, curtains and possibly interior covering due to the damp but don't want to do anything before I get the damp situation sorted! I am going todry her out and store her in a barn for a while. BUT can anyone suggest anything else?

Look forward to hearing from someone, anyone :-)

CB confused3

Hi there,

Already commented on the other Thread but worth repeating.

Damp can do a lot of damage in a very short time so I suggest you:

1. Remove anything that you are intending to scrap because it is ruined or it has got too mouldy to keep.

2. Start the recovery process for fabrics and upholstery as soon as possible.
(Here's a great site - http://blackmold.awardspace.com/black-mold-clothes.html

3. Install a heater and a de-humidifier as soon as possible.

4. When the inside is properly dried check out the seals around doors, windows, skylights and all places where the outside is pierced by fittings.

5. Seal any leaks as appropriate.
(If you can't find any leaks then there is a distinct possibility that the dampness has been caused by a simple lack of ventilation.)

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum