New vans 12 volt supply to habitation areas?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New vans 12 volt supply to habitation areas?

Post by m8form8 on Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:18 am

confused3  I read in one post on another site that on all new vans the leisure 12 volt outlets and all items other than charging and fridge supply can not be used when driving along. It according to the post said it interferes with the engine electronics and causes faults?  scratch head  just wondering if this is true and  if anyone has come across this?  rolleyes
m8form8

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New vans 12 volt supply to habitation areas?

Post by daisy mae on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:36 am

Only the fridge works on 12volt when travelling, as far as I know all vans do this not just new ones.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:12 am

My 2 Auto Sleepers 2005 Gatcombe, And our 2014 Broadway are like this, but my 2008 Tribute 650 and 2011 Auto Roller 100 you could have the 12 volt working whilst engine was running.

John.
artheytrate

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi wave

m8form8 wrote:confused3  I read in one post on another site that on all new vans the leisure 12 volt outlets and all items other than charging and fridge supply can not be used when driving along. It according to the post said it interferes with the engine electronics and causes faults?  scratch head  just wondering if this is true and  if anyone has come across this?  rolleyes

Yes and no!

There is no regulation that says that the habitation electrics have to be turned off. There is a regulation (a whole set of regulations actually) that say that if the habitation (or any) electrics are connected when the vehicle is in motion then they must comply with the relevant automotive safety standard.

EMC (electromagnetic compatibility) is a major problem nowadays and has been for the last 20 years or so. There have been examples on this forum where EMC problems have affected things such as TV reception. The TV not working properly is an annoyance but if it's your brakes or engine management system that fails you're in trouble.

In order to run with the habitation electrics on the vehicle would need to be desgned, tested and certified to be safe after the conversion and every time any changes were made. I suspect that this too difficult and expensive as far as most converters are concerned.

Brod
brodco

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:33 am

I guess then because our van does not have an an EMC its not a problem everything works if left turned on all the time at the zig unit. Handy for charging tablets and so on while on the move. The fridge is on a separate 12 volt supply but everything else is on the Habitation side.  
Something else to consider if buying a new van then. Thanks for explaining.  scratch head
m8form8

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:21 am

I thought all electromagnetic energy produced the potential for electromagnetic interference. I guess if you have an older van with less gizmo's the effects are lessened.
This reminds me of an event a couple of years ago, I was watching a display of radio operated model planes and went to unlock the car with my remote. At the same instant an expensive model dropped out of the sky and crashed, the owner was bemused. I slunk away, but to this day I think I was responsible...
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:42 am

As an aside to Al's comment.

It's surprising how far away a remote can still operate - if you don't mind looking a prat!

For example, if you forget to lock the van or have that niggling "uncertain" feeling as you walk away, if you are out of range with the remote, try holding the key against your temple and raise the other arm high in the air as you press the button.

Don't laugh (or send the men in white coats to get me) before you try it.

It works.

Dave hugegrins
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:31 am

m8form8 wrote:I guess then because our van does not have an an EMC its not a problem everything works if left turned on all the time at the zig unit. Handy for charging tablets and so on while on the move. The fridge is on a separate 12 volt supply but everything else is on the Habitation side.  
Something else to consider if buying a new van then. Thanks for explaining.  scratch head

When your van was built it had a relay that disabled the habitation circuitry when the engine was started.  At sometime that circuit has been tampered with if you can use habitation electrics on the move - I would be most concerned as to what else had been done to the circuitry with respect to removing protection devices.

PS: I've just being perusing some circuit diagrams. 1993 did not have the isolation relay and didn't necessarily have a leisure battery and may or may not have had a mains charger. 1998 - all vans have isolation/changeover relay. The transit chassis supplied in the mid '90's had the split charge and isolation relays as part of the Ford fit.

Last edited by Peter Brown on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PS added)

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:11 pm

That's an interesting point Peter Brown although not a particularly worrying one as seems un- problematic in practice maybe ours being a 94/5 was just pre such disabling?  I looked at the relays recently and tested them all as had a few starting issues. Turned out the issues were down to the immobilizer.  scratch head That's had to be sorted out.
m8form8

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum