Courtesy

Go down

Courtesy

Post by boxerman on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:03 pm

As a new member on here I've been trawling though the old "before my time" threads and I'm appalled at the number of people who post a cry for help and then don't have the common courtesy to say a simple "thank you" to the members who have responded in an effort to help.

If you can take the trouble to ask a question then surely it's no too much trouble to thank those who offer help - or is it?

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Courtesy

Post by deckie on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Well put Frank allthumbz

Brian
deckie
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:49 pm

Have to say I agree with this also Frank, sadly we get a lot of members join the forum just to ask questions or introduce themselves then we never see them again! scratch head

The classifieds is another example of a lack courtesy where people join to post items for sale then never use the forum for anything else, most have not even posted to say the item is sold which is frustrating for us staff members, but this is another area so I've probably already said enough.....
hugegrins

CC

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:36 pm

Hi Frank.

We have not connected across posts yet, I do read all posts and agree sometimes it might be a little thankless when you try to help. Life is sometimes like that. Those of us that do appreciate the helpful info are thankful. I allways try to say thanks but some don't. So only think of us that do. bye the way looking at your avitar are you related to Gandalf. Magic.

Whisky.
whisky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:07 am

it could just be that some of the members just don't visit frequently enough, and by the time they do sign on again their posts have just ended up being buried under a load of other posts, it doesn't take long especially if the forum is busy.

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:00 am

Again, Well put CC allthumbz

Grovelling Old Git .... aren't i ?? hugegrins

Brian
deckie
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:06 am

CruizingComet wrote:it could just be that some of the members just don't visit frequently enough, and by the time they do sign on again their posts have just ended up being buried under a load of other posts, it doesn't take long especially if the forum is busy.

Hi CC
I think if they were concerned enough to post a query, then they would look back on a regular basis to see if anyone had responded?

I had an ex RTMR member ring me up twice recently as he's having trouble getting his van to run right - suspected carburation troubles - I advised him the best I could over the phone and scanned/emailed him several pages of a carburettor manual. He phoned again a couple of days later and we talked about his problems again. Later I downloaded a Solex technical manual and emailed that to him, along with info on where to get recon kits for his carb, a possible source of S/H carbs and a typed out version of the advice I had given him on setting up the carb.

I have not heard from him for a few days now, he did not respond to either email although I know from the second phone call that he had received the manual page I sent, I cannot remember him, at any time during our conversations actually say "thanks" for taking the trouble to try and help him.

This is probably why I've got a bee in my bonnet about this at the mo?

@Whiskey - I've trimmed the beard a bit since then smile! but yes! I' a fan of JRR's books although I've read his biography and I don't think I would have stayed long in the same room as the bloke. Much the same as I love some of Wagner's music but not Wagner as he was a right "inappropriate word" biggrin

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:33 am

I always try to log back in and say thank you for advice given and let people know if it's worked out, but even that can get out of hand when you say "thanks everyone, it's sorted now" and more people come and give more advice - I can never decide if it's rude to ignore those or OK to just say thank you once?

Nora
Traficlady

Female

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:42 am

I know what you mean Nora but if you've said "thanks everyone" you have acknowledged that people have responded to your cry for help. There are lots on here that have received help but have never come back to thank those who replied to their query.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:46 am

Hi Nora.
I think you do the right thing. To say thanks once is fine. The thing is the person asking the question may not be the only one with the problem. They may be a bit shy and they are grateful others like yourself raise these points. So sometimes anybody who has found a way around a problem likes to add to the post for the benifit of us all.
Without people like yourself a forum is not a forum. Power to your keyboard keep on posting.

All the best. Whisky. up!
whisky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum