Leisure battery not charging

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Leisure battery not charging

Post by Gail on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:33 pm

Hello it's me again, our two leisure batteries were reading in the White/red on hydrometer and weren't coping with what we were asking of them for that reason. However my hubby seems to think that on the meter on the wall red/yellow/green pre changing them they were reading in the green. But now only read in the yellow, apprx 12.6 volts. The van has been on hookup for last couple of days, post replacement new batteries. I've checked the green light is on on the zig charger, just can't think what can be the problem. It's a pescara 1999.
Gail

Female

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Pescara
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Leisure battery not charging

Post by -mojo- on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:32 pm

The original charging system on vans of that age should be pretty simple in operation. If you turn on the charger, the leisure battery voltage should rise immediately. If you turn it off, the voltage should fall over a period of a minute or a few minutes (assuming the battery is not under load). Typical voltage for a battery being charged would be in the range 13.6-14.4V, depending on a number of factors.

12.6V is a typical terminal voltage for a fully charged battery which is not being charged.
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:52 pm

Ah that's exactly what the problem is mojo. On charge the battery volt meter only goes up to 12.7 it won't rise up to 13-14.4 anymore. What are we not doing, what do you think has changed since replacing the two flat leisure batteries? We are totally baffled.
Gail

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail on Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Could it be zig isn't charging the batteries even though the green light on the zig is on?
Gail

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:05 pm

My initial guess would be a blown fuse on the connection between charger and batteries - though if it goes up a little (from maybe 12.5 to 12.7 volts?) that's a bit puzzling. But it's ~possible~ that the voltage rise is due to the charger feeding the battery (at a much reduced rate) via a 12V appliance that is turned on.

I would seek out the charger output fuse. It would not be unexpected for that to blow - it would originally have been sized for a single leisure battery, and when people put 2 leisure batteries in they often don't account for the fact that the charging current can be a lot higher with two batteries than one.

-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:13 pm

Brilliant thanks mojo I've just printed a detailed diagram of the zig-x7 will check that fuse. That would make sense, hopefully we'll have an answer to it in the morning. ☺️
Gail

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail on Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:44 pm

One more quick question I hope someone is online and can answer this. Is it possible for the zig charger not to be charging but the light on the unit still comes on?
Thanks anyone
Gail

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi  wave
Gail wrote:One more quick question I hope someone is online and can answer this. Is it possible for the zig charger not to be charging but the light on the unit still comes on?
Thanks anyone
Assuming you mean the green light on the Zig power supply itself (not the control panel) then it is possible but unlikely. The easiest way to check the Zig unit is working is to disconnect the leisure batteries, connect the EHU and see if the 12V lights work (engine off of course).

If they do the Zig is powering them. up!

Even if the unit is working its worth measuring the voltage. It should be very close to 13.8 volts  with the Zig as the sole source of power.

Brod
brodco

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gail on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Thanks Brod will try that
Gail