The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ?

+25
Relaxez-Vous
Paramedic
Paulmold
Fleeb1
Vardy
Minniesmum
chrisvesey
chalky
tcarne
1Oll
murph
Cymro
ssjohnl
burlingtonboaby
Dutto
mgm
peugeotboxer
dandywarhol
Peterm
Cello297
Waves117
Biglol
roli
CC
stevomar
29 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ?

Post by ssjohnl Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:59 am

Yes, Cymro, that's what I was thinking. In the Topaz we have mainly the overcab locker (which holds the extra cushions to make the bed) and the under bench drawer (where we put the duvet) so space is a problem if I buy a mattress topper.

John
ssjohnl
ssjohnl

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ?

Post by CC Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:20 am

Cymro's post makes a lot sense, test for space first

We bought some Duvalays when we had our Trident and they are just too bulky to be used as intended, as for storing them you are stuffed! They work a treat in our Nuevo, although storage is still an issue, initially I stored them under the nearside bed but it was difficult getting them out at night, so we have taken to storing them in the bathroom which is OK if the floor is not wet! They are a really good product but they are extremely bulky which is their only downside for us.

I would presume you would have the same problem with a mattress topper regarding storage (unless it's going to be really thin) then you may as well not bother as anything less than 1" - 1.5" is claimed to be a waste of time.

I've mentioned before that Duvalay are missing a trick by not supplying a small double 4ft Duvalay for camper vans, the market is huge for something like this for van conversions, we have emailed them a number of times to get them on the forum but have given up due to the lack of response, really don't understand these company's as they could learn so much by listening to customers needs and comments.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? - Page 2 Empty memory foam toppers

Post by murph Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:39 pm

We have two single memory foam toppers 2 inch thick, which fit neatly side by side, exactly the right width, on top of our double bed. These are rolled up and secured with bungee cords, and stowed on the luton when not in use. These leave only 1 joint down the middle between us instead of the normal multiple joints with the cushions. Opened out sleeping bags are used as covers, normally 1 in the summer and 2 in the winter, we are very cosy even without heating during the night. I never run the gas heater when we are asleep.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? - Page 2 Empty Memory foam mattress topper

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:32 pm

CruizingComet wrote:Cymro's post makes a lot sense, test for space first

We bought some Duvalays when we had our Trident and they are just too bulky to be used as intended, as for storing them you are stuffed! They work a treat in our Nuevo, although storage is still an issue, initially I stored them under the nearside bed but it was difficult getting them out at night, so we have taken to storing them in the bathroom which is OK if the floor is not wet! They are a really good product but they are extremely bulky which is their only downside for us.

I would presume you would have the same problem with a mattress topper regarding storage (unless it's going to be really thin) then you may as well not bother as anything less than 1" - 1.5" is claimed to be a waste of time.

I've mentioned before that Duvalay are missing a trick by not supplying a small double 4ft Duvalay for camper vans, the market is huge for something like this for van conversions, we have emailed them a

number of times to get them on the forum but have given up due to the lack of response, really don't
understand these company's as they could learn so much by listening to customers needs and comments.

Hi Cruz
If your going to the Newark show you will be able to call at the Duvalay stand and give them your suggestions direct.
It's great have the Luton front like Murph, no problems with storage or sleeping.
E mail sent to you re Nuevo control panel.
Boaby

CC
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by stevomar Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:44 pm

Cymro wrote:Bought a posh memory foam for the MH. Very comfortable. But storage was a problem. We use the central, double-bed arrangement in the Clubman, using bottom fitted sheet and a duvet. With the pillows, they are easily stored in overcab locker. But when the memory foam was added, our remaining storage space was drastically limited - to such an extent that we felt it preferable to tolerate the (admittedly not comfortable) bed cushions and abandon the memory foam so as to be able to store more essential stuff.

So I advise anyone about to buy to pause, and make up a mock-up of the same rolled-up dimensions (e.g. a rolled up duvet) and try storing it with the other bedding.

I suppose it comes down to that age old dilemma Cymro - "What do you take with you when you go away"
We willingly wear the same socks/undies/T shirts etc. all week so week so we can take our mattress topper in the Trident Whistle1
Cheers
Stevo

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : VW Trident

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? - Page 2 Empty Memory Foam toppers. Just buy one!

Post by 1Oll Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:20 pm

We had a double memory foam topper in our caravan for three years, it had a fixed bed. It was great. When we acquired our Motorhome the first purchase was two single two inch memory foam toppers and two single duvets. Singles are much easier to handle in a confined space. They were from TJ Hughes before their closure. They offered three different kinds of toppers. One solid memory foam, smooth on both sides, another smooth on one side and "egg box" on the other. The third option was a chipped foam in a nice thick quilted cover. We chose the first option, easier to roll and smoother to lie on. I spotted 1.5 inch toppers at Aldi a short while ago and was tempted to replace our 2 inch ones, due to the compact size when rolled. As ours were fairly new decided to economise and stay with the originals. We used our Amethyst for at least three night at Christmas, after parties! Never have heating on overnight but used a two litre lemonade bottle in a sock, for a hot water bottle. Snug as a bug in a rug!
We have a Vi-Spring mattress at home, purchased at great expense, some years ago. I can really recommend Vi-Spring fr home. The MH seat and memory foam combination is not quite as comfy but more than adequate.
To summerise it's amazing how a two inch thick piece of rubber mattress can improve your sleeping comfort so much.
Regards Brian.
1Oll
1Oll

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1995 Amethyst

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Said it on a few occasions now - a £30ish Poudstretchers double (or is it king confused3 ) sized is a great piece of kit to iron out the edges of the seats - and rolls up to a reasonable size to store above the cab centre locker.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by tcarne Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:18 pm

hi,

another possible alternative?

having done a lot of camping, i have found using self inflating mats very good.

they roll up small and are very light.

i have just done my first weekend away in 'meevan' and the mat worked well on the single beds overcoming the cushion joins and upholstery dimples.

probably not useful for double bed option as not wide enough.

happy slumbers!

trish

tcarne
tcarne

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:30 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:
Hi Cruz
If your going to the Newark show you will be able to call at the Duvalay stand and give them your suggestions direct.
It's great have the Luton front like Murph, no problems with storage or sleeping.
E mail sent to you re Nuevo control panel.
Boaby

Hi Boaby

Yes I'm calling in at the Duvalay stand, left them a card at the Malvern show and asked if they would contact us and we have since been in touch with them a number of times. Agree the luton would be good for storage but the Duvalays are the only thing we struggle to store really, last trip away for two weeks we only used half the storage available and that was taking more stuff than we actually even needed, they fit snuggly between the sink and the fold out shower partition so not really a problem.

Will check my emails in a bit re the control panel thanks!

stevomar wrote:We willingly wear the same socks/undies/T shirts etc. all week so week so we can take our mattress topper in the Trident Whistle1
Cheers
Stevo

heat Stevo... forget the undies, (not essential) leave them behind... think of the extra space and weight saving! BigGrins!

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Memory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? - Page 2 Empty Memory Foam Toppers

Post by chalky Thu May 31, 2012 12:52 pm

Hi,

The single beds on our VW Talent were seriously uncomfortable. purchased 2 self inflating sleep mats from Go Outdoors £34.99, they have done the trick.

Chalky.
chalky
chalky

Auto-Sleeper : Talent

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Thu May 31, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi,
We have two single memory foam 2" mats, we store all our bedding under the main settee, first the mats are folded in three and put in place, then our quilt is folded to sit on top and then there is room for two pillows at the side (squeezed). Making up the bed only takes a couple of minutes as the mats are in two zip sheets and only need to be put on top of the bed, the quilt follows then the pillows, simples. The overcab storage is for coats, etc,
works for us,
Chris V
PS we have a Symbol and sleep across so don't need to take all the extra bits up!
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:03 pm

ssjohnl wrote:Yes, Cymro, that's what I was thinking. In the Topaz we have mainly the overcab locker (which holds the extra cushions to make the bed) and the under bench drawer (where we put the duvet) so space is a problem if I buy a mattress topper.

John

I started taking a single 1" thick memory foam mattress topper with me for my Symphony. However it took up over half of the overhead locker space. So leave it at home now and use the space for my duvet and pillows. If space is an issue then think twice before buying. I already had mine as used it in the Doblo. smile!
Minniesmum
Minniesmum

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Vardy Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:22 pm

Our bed history (one for the singles mainly as I try to leave him indoors at home as much as possible).

Although my foam has been checked, the beds in my van were abysmal and hard. I am in fact a bit like the Princess and the Pea and have never had a good night ever in the van!

I variously tried cheaper memory foam options i.e. Dunelm double/singles/side by side/doubled up and then did the same with the Raskelf gold + wide sleeping bag/s. These were stored behind the swivel seats in cab area in the day if him indoors was with me but if alone I left the single made up (passenger side) with both toppers, one on the other.

Easy to travel with this permanently in place but very narrow base of seat width to support it. Great if you're slim but not otherwise as it feels a bit wonky round the edges!

Anyway, I have a cunning plan..... I am going to get a proper caravan divan mattress (in place of the 2 raskelf memory toppers I am using one on the other). - Leaving it made up to travel and in day as day bed with cushions. Will stick one topper on it if still hard.

Hopefully, the narrow seat base will not be so noticeable under a more rigid sided mattress The only down sides I can see are having it sticking up a bit higher than the window bottoms. Don't care - need my comfort!
I could still open the side door last summer and lounged about reading on my single bed. Plus, bit awkward to have visitors - but got small awning now so not a problem.

I'd welcome any comments on the plan, as I don't want to spend the cash then realize a really obvious bloomer think_smiley_46

Vardy
Vardy

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleeb1 Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:14 pm

Yeah I'm really glad I got my topper. We had it custom made here by this company that can make you a custom topper or whole caravan mattress.
Fleeb1
Fleeb1

Male

Auto-Sleeper : VW T5
Vehicle Year : 07

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:18 pm

How on earth did you dig up a thread that's 8 years old for your first post.? 
 Welcome by the way. Perhaps you'd like to introduce yourself in the 'welcome section' (4th heading down the home page).

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:38 pm

ditto again,    scratch head

Last edited by burlingtonboaby on Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:40 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:I thought Steve had turned up on his wee Scooter again.lots of old members names re appeared.  hugegrins  
Welcome to the forum from Bridington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:43 pm

Hello and welcome to this most friendly and informative forum.  wave

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:05 pm

Leaving aside much comment about breathing life into an old thread that started life well before I first joined ASOF, I'll say it's been useful nevertheless.

It's raised my awareness of self inflating mattresses that might give the same benefits as a mattress topper but pack down in a smaller space. Does anyone use them?
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by taffykriss Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:21 pm

Guest wrote:Has anyone here got a pic of these Duvelay thingys? scratch head
Hi hope these help
taffykriss
taffykriss

Female

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : peugeot Boxer
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:34 pm

Relaxez-Vous wrote:It's raised my awareness of self inflating mattresses that might give the same benefits as a mattress topper but pack down in a smaller space. Does anyone use them?
I have two genuine Therm-A-Rest self-inflating mats, expensive, but in my opinion, the only ones to buy.
Superb in a tent, which is where I use them, but when I tried them as toppers in the van I was a bit disappointed. 
They're designed to be used on a hard surface, and tend to rise up at the sides when used on existing mattresses. Mine are two singles, and are really too narrow on a double bed, I wouldn't really recommend them for this use.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:24 pm

Same as Fleeb1 but by a similar company in Rusper. We just leave them on the bench seats and they are covered with a throw so we also have ultraMemory Foam Mattress Toppers - Anyone else use them ? - Page 2 Img_2030 comfortable sitting in the daytime. Wouldn't work for all of course.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:55 am

Before we started motorhomeing we had a trailer tent so we moved the double zip together sleeping bags into the Duetto. One thick one thinner to give us summer or winter weight on top. We managed without a mattress topper for a while but on recommendation from a forum user , sorry can’t remember who it was, we bough a cheap mattress topper from a pound type shop. 
We were surprised how much more comfy it made the bed.The Duetto was not a hard bed but it had a few gaps because of the way it made up.
When we bought the Rienza we had the storage space for more bedding so we decided to try using a duvet. The mattress topper stayed but we unfolded one of the sleeping bags instead of a bottom sheet. Again we can use a thick one or a thin one. 
With the Rienza being a lot more cosy and carrying a second heavier duvet we have not used the heavier sleeping bag for a long time. 
I can’t say the beds in our two different cases were uncomfortable and we can’t compare with the rock and roll type beds. The only bed problem with the Rienza is a slight draft from the the side locker door when the wind is full on the near side corner.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2