The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Considering a Ravenna

4 posters

Go down

Considering a Ravenna Empty Considering a Ravenna

Post by S10 Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:26 am

We have seen a 2002 Ravenna on a Transit. We've never had a campervan before but towed a a touring caravan for 10 years both home and in France, so are happy campers. 

The van is  a 2.4 diesel (90T350) with 84k on the clock.  

The layout would really suit us and the small size would be great for our drive. Obviously the mileage means that both chassis and accommodation will have had quite a lot of wear.

Are there any pointers that we should like out for or anything that other owners have noted may be particularly fragile?
S10
S10

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Considering a Ravenna Empty Re: Considering a Ravenna

Post by Peter Brown Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:25 am

For the engine/chassis assess it as you would a car/van and for the habitation side all is as you would expect to find it in a caravan.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by S10 Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:36 am

Peter

Thanks for the suggestions but I was hoping for more specific things to lokk for, that might be known weaknesses on a Ravenna.

With regard to the engine chassis, 84k is not particularly high mileage for a car/van but on a 13 year old vehicle are there things that need doing?  For instance belt changes etc?
S10
S10

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:41 am

Nothing specific - it was a good van.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Considering a Ravenna Empty Ravenna

Post by gemdeco Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi
   I think the Transit is the best base vehicle,but they do rust so do check very carefully,Do not go for a smiley front (oval grill) as the later improved.I would  go for a 125bhp as it gives you plenty of power At 85,000miles that is a lot for a motorhome so check service history .I understand the body is one of the best.
   regards Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by S10 Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:34 pm

Alan

Thanks for the pointer re rust and we'll have a good look at the chasis.

It's a MkIV so the thin rectangular grill (the one after the oval).

The cab is badged up 90T350 which I think means 90PS so sadly not 125 and it might be a bit sluggish. We haven't had chance to road test it yet.

Regards
S10
S10

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:45 pm

Hi
  The Mk1V is a lot better we had a 54plate Transit but bewarned they suffer from fuel pump problems The vehicle key is programmed via the Bosch fuel pump,we had to have a new pump fitted at a cost of about £1000 there is no cheap option The higher bhp models had a different pump,personally I would not buy a vehicle with such high milege Also check the operation of the fridge and water heater If you can take off the fridge vents check for corrosion of components All the things I forgot.
   Kind regards
       Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Triggy Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:49 pm

We have a 2001 Ravenna on a 2.4 Transit which we bought earlier this year. The engine is a solid lump which is fairly reliable, ours had a lot of service history with it and although it is slightly lower mileage than the one you are considering it had already had a new clutch fitted, I don't know if this is a problem on the Transit or if it was down to driving style but probably worth checking. One really good thing is that parts are pretty cheap for servicing and there is no timing belt to worry about.

Triggy
Triggy
Triggy

Male

Member Age : 66
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by S10 Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Well, we did it!

We bought it and will take delivery in a couple of weeks. There are a few minor things in the van that the dealer will sort and some on the chasis. If the rust on the chasis or corroded break pipes fail the MOT then the dealer will replace, but otherwise we will have them done anyway once we've got it home.

The 90PS is a bit hard work on the open road. It's fine round town and up to 50mph then takes a while to wind up to 60. We might consider having the engine remapped at a later date.

Thanks for all your pointers  and help.
S10
S10

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by S10 Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:25 pm

Had one night in it last week and it has had to go back to the dealer as there a problem with the brake light coming on when the van is stationary with no keys in the ignition!

When we tried to start the van there was just enough juice in the battery to turn it over once but then nothing. Fortunately we had the car we'd used to drive to the dealer's and jump leads so not the end of the world. 

I'm hoping they find a decent auto electrician who can identify the problem.
S10
S10

Male

Back to top Go down