wd caravan lock on 1992 talisman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

wd caravan lock on 1992 talisman

Post by TrickyWoo on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:23 pm

I know there have been a number of previous topics relating to habitati8n door locks, but those seem to relate to newer ones with BL locks. Ours is definitely a WD standard design caravan type lock (looks identical to a Caralock)  - its surface mounted in a moulded recessed part of the door, looks like the inner door lock connects directly with the tang on the lock barrel. So far so good. 

The locking barrel was a bit hit & miss when locking with the key (but worked most of the time with some fiddling)so I thought probably worn with age/use and should be simple job to replace the barrel. So bought identical barrel, dismantled the lock and replaced the barrel and reassembled. But the barrel just spins freely in its housing, and doesn't connect with the inner lock - looks like it doesn't actually reach the lock (i.e. not long enough) to engage with it (the inner lock works ok from inside, locks ok, etc but key won't lock it. Tried old barrel just in case they are different (but no they are identical!) but that does the same I.e. fails to reach and therefore engage with the inner lock. Is there perhaps a bit missing, eg an extension bit to engage the2? The inner door panel is off (had  to retrieve the circlip which I kept dropping - magnetic retrieval tool is excellent!) & can't see any other bits in bottom of door recess.

Anyone have any ideas? Any help would be much appreciated. 
Thanks.

Last edited by TrickyWoo on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added bit to clarify)

I've got a dragon & I'm not afraid to use it!

TrickyWoo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: wd caravan lock on 1992 talisman

Post by fernbank50 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:48 pm

I replaced the complete lock assembly on my 1990 Talisman recently.  Like yours it is fitted in a recess in the door and I used a Caralock 400.  There should be a rod which connects between the outer and the inner lock. The rod supplied with the replacement the lock was not long enough and gave the same symptoms as you are experiencing. I replaced it with the original and all was well. From memory the rod was approx 2 inches long but I cannot remember exactly how it was fitted!

This picture (http://shop.lodgefarmleisure.com/caraloc-400-complete-righthand-659-p.asp) shows the rod with the fixing screws.

HTH

David
fernbank50

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TrickyWoo on Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:25 pm

3rd attempt at updating this - I really shouldn't keep trying to post from my 7" tablet as its really not easy! Ought to use the laptop but that's upstairs.

Anyway, update - after speaking to Autosleepers & then Cheltenham Lamination who actually built the monocoques & fitted the locks, turns out there is indeed a connecting/extension piece. They said it was metal, turned out to be plastic, about half an inch long, and they said no longer available (so don't lose current one!) 

So a further blind rummage in bottom of door carcass with flexible claw thingy & found it. Struggle to get it back together but made it & lock working ok again (but for some reason 2 of the screws won't bite into the holes in the lock so currently held in by just 2 screws - I've managed to get 2 longer screws which will bite and do up but need to cut them shorter as too long and interfere with mechanism when tightehed up.

TrickyWoo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swhiteside on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi Trickywoo
the lock has 7 screws if you a standard lock and the 2 screws that go into the door casing are the longer ones and the 2 screws on the rear of the lock are the shorter ones. The flat plate on mine was bent slightly been over tightened at some time I guess. My fault was the whole lock was bone dry probably never been oiled since it was new I think, after it was stripped and cleaned I greased the locks working and its great now and even the handle operates more smoothly.Might be worth rechecking if you have put the screws back in the right places. As for the extention piece use a stiff grease to hold it in place and it helps with the lock making it operate better.

Steve
Swhiteside

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TrickyWoo on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:52 pm

Thanks for that Steve. I didn't add any grease when reassembling as it was already covered in grease but if I do ever take it apart again I'll bear in mind the thick grease tip to keep the plastic bit in place. As for the screws, I did put the correct screws back in the correct holes but the 2 shorter ones just wouldn't bite into the threaded holes. I have now cut the 2 longer replacement screws down so now all back together and working as it should. Incidentally, at risk of teaching grandmothers to suck eggs, in case anyone else reads this who may not know, a tip when cutting down a screw is to put a nut on it first before cutting it. That way when you have finished cutting it the nut can be easily removed and it avoids problems with any burrs left on the end of the screw which otherwise can make it difficult to get a nut onto it. (See, I did learn something in metalwork at school all those years ago!)

TrickyWoo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum