Shurflo Water Filter

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Shurflo Water Filter

Post by bluegrassmac on Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:28 pm

We have an 1996 A/S Legend.
While away on the continent earlier this year the Shurflo fresh water pump began to get noisy and the water at times spluttered from the taps. Having run a few checks I noticed a small amount of air seemed to sit in the top of the pump filter. As the pump was able to pressurize the water system I assumed that their was a poor connection on the suction side at the tank (the filter was not cracked and the hose at the filter was tightly held) and shortly after the fresh water tank sprang a leak - which stopped after the tank was half empty. My thoughts were that the sealant around the tank fittings had deteriorated. Having since got home, taken the tank off and renewing and re-sealing around all tank fittings we don't have a leak, but do have some spluttering still on the hot water side after re-priming the system. Also there is still a slight amount of air sitting in the top of the filter. I believe the pump is at least 15 years old. But before I replace it I would like to know if air in the top of the filter unit is normal. Has anyone any idea. I know this is a bit long winded but I am trying to give all the info before getting any replies!
bluegrassmac

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend (1996)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Shurflo Water Filter

Post by -mojo- on Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:47 pm

If it's the same as the Shurflo Trail King on my last van with the filter threaded onto the side, a bubble of air at the top is entirely normal - there doesn't seem to be anywhere for the air to go with the filter in that orientation.
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:48 am

Hi there,

Air in the filter top is not unusual, but the "sputtering" is!

As a general rule, there will be a loose connection, a split in the pipe, a crack in the filter or a perished seal; ALL on the suction side of the pump.

Because the pump "lifts" the water there is little or no chance that water will drip OUT of the same gap that allows air to be drawn IN to the system; so it's just a matter of checking everything BEFORE you purchase a new pump or a refurbishment kit.

Why "before"?  Well, you would feel pretty stupid lashing out all that money and then discovering that you have the same symptoms because you hadn't eliminated a small leak on the suction wouldn't you? Whistle1 Whistle1

A noisy pump may simply be that the flexible mounts on the pump have perished so that there is now metal-to-metal contact when the pump is working, OR the pump has been screwed down too tightly and the flexible mounts aren't having a chance to work properly.

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bluegrassmac on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:59 pm

Thanks for the info regarding the filter. I think I'll try a longer priming on the hot water side to see if that works. I may have been a little impatient as usually the water system primes fairly quickly! Reading from former posts re priming, I definitely haven't given it 3 minutes to sort itself out. The pump is a Shurflo TrailKing 7ltr 16psi model. I think I might also look at butterfly nut connections to the pump to enable an easier total winter system drain as this seems a good idea. Any thoughts on these connections on the suction side?
bluegrassmac

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend (1996)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum