Weighbridge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Weighbridge

Post by Lofty on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:24 am

Hello everyone. I took my bus to the Viridor site (Greater Manchester Waste) @ Bredbury with a view to getting a certificate on Wednesday. The chap in the weighbridge station says, "I can tell you your weight". I said, "I'm looking to get a piece of paper with weights on" "That will be £13.80".OK, I thought, not too bad. "That's front, rear and total then?" I said optimistically. " No that's EACH, full set, all three to you for the offer price of...£41.40!" I gulped, he then repeated " I can TELL you your weight" wink wink. That was free! Anyway, it was 2680 as she stands. look here.Am I right in thinking I have around 700 kg spare on my 2001 Gatcombe? 
If anyone knows of a less expensive weighbridge within 10 miles of Stockport I would be grateful. I had the impression that a certificate was relatively cheap. Thanks.Lofty.
Lofty
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weighbridge

Post by Gromit on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:29 am

Hi Lofty

I might have entirely misunderstood, but -

Why would you want a certificate? I don't think it would make the slightest difference in arguing your case if you were pulled over and found to be overweight. The certificate would only indicate your weight at that precise date and time, so it would be inadmissible as a defense at any future date. 

When I weighed ours I rolled up with a big box of biscuits, and the lady on the weighbridge jotted down the weights on a bit of paper. It told me what I didn't want to know (so_sad) and was all I required to get things sorted.

In your case if your Gatcombe is rated at 3300kg MGW you have 620kg payload, which is far more than most more recent vans. Have a look on your Vin Plate to check, but if that is the case you have little to worry about there.

Hope this helps

Dave
Gromit

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:36 am

Hi there,

Here's a site that may help for the Greater Manchester Area ....

http://www.tfgm.com/Corporate/freight/Pages/local-weighbridges.aspx

We weighed ours, and carry the certificates, in case any part of "officialdom" decides to check that:

1.  Fully loaded, the van is within the plated weight.

2.  The un-braked "trailer with quad" combination that we normally tow is less than the 750kg maximum.

3.  Copious amounts of wine, properly distributed, won't put us over any weight limit.

Whenever questioned as to the amount of booze we are carrying we always point out that ....

.... it is definitely for our own consumption allthumbz   allthumbz  and ....

.... if they are ever invented, we will definitely carry a "You don't want my liver!" card. Whistle1 Whistle1

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lofty on Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:24 pm

Thanks guys, on reflection, not sure why I thought I need a certificate. I've read so many posts regarding weighbridges and thought I was being efficient! I found the charge breath taking, or maybe I am being parsimonious! I could not find the vin plate, either under the bonnet or round the door frame etc. On the r/h door post, there is a factory sticker for tyre pressures only. I took the payload cue from a copy of road test which came with her. smile!
Lofty
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm

That is indeed expensive. I recently went to a weighbridge suggested by A/S near Willersey. I wanted the load measured on each axle. The charming lady who was on duty expained that there would be a (total) charge of £7 if I wanted a printed ticket, or a voluntary donation of £3 if the results were given orally.

She came out of the office to guide me on to the weighbridge, stopping me when the vehicle was in the centre with both axles on; She took a reading. She then called me forward until my front wheels were just off the bridge, and took another reading. My rear axle load was calculated as the difference between the total and the front axle. Perfect. Armed with those measurements (the vehicle was in full hoiday mode, with my wife sitting inside with me), I could then determine the correct tyre pressures to use (from the table supplied by Continental). Re-setting the TPMS was a different saga!
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:20 pm

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi lofty, 

I think your getting weighed, whilst not mandatory was a sensible and responsible thing to do. I have done this on two occasions and like Dutto I carry details of the weighing. If stopped I reckon it shows evidence of trying to be lawfull.

Whilst Gromit is correct about the duration of accuracy, I found it reassuring to know my weights and what scope I had for adding to the kit I carry. It also allowed me to work out more accurately what the tyre pressures should be.

As stated by Dutto, I also weigh with what I call the 'continental load' on board which is theoretically the heaviest the van will ever be thus allowing for ease of wine acquisition, easily computed in metric!

It has been muted on other threads, although never to my mind confirmed that in an accident your insurance may be invalid. Not worth taking that risk.

Davy
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi Lofty
Thats a bit expensive, i'm fortunate to live 1 mile away from a free public weighbridge on the A650 nr Morley, Leeds, at the trading standards site, it seems to be open 24 hrs, so if anyone happens to be passing make the most of it. Theres no one there just a digital readout which give each axle weight and a total weight.

Dave
fenderbender

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lofty on Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:53 pm

Thanks again for your replies chaps. up!
Lofty
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:13 pm

For those of you at the other end of the country, there is a similar weighbridge (24hr led readout) at the Scilly Isles Ferry office, Penzance.

Drop the little yellow google man here;

50.116303,-5.53108

Zoom in on the right hand window and you can see the LED readout box.

Derek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:17 pm

Just a thought................

Why don't we use our collective knowledge to create a database of these free 24hr weighbridges? allthumbz

That would be really useful!!

Derek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:09 am

PennyandDerek wrote:Just a thought................

Why don't we use our collective knowledge to create a database of these free 24hr weighbridges? allthumbz

That would be really useful!!

Derek

allthumbz   allthumbz   allthumbz

Great idea, even though I don't know of any free ones in Lincolnshire. think_smiley_46 think_smiley_46

I think I paid +/- £15 for "Van"+ "Trailer with Quad" then "Trailer with Quad" from which the operator calculated "Van".

I didn't bother with the different axle weights as I was in a queue of grain lorries at the time; and thought that although the price was very reasonable it could have easily been booted upwards if I delayed their normal operations! Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:33 am

In N. Ireland there are about 12 public weigh bridges. Over half are self operated and free, I don't know if the manned ones charge or issue certificates.

No paper is issued at the self weigh locations which are the ones I have used but they display each axle weight and total weight.

Follow this link. 

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/weights-and-weighbridges 

Davy
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:43 am

There is a "Find a weighbridge" page on the Government website here, although it won't necessarily tell you whether it's chargeable (if it is an obvious commercial site, needless to say they will charge).

The link from there to West Sussex just takes you to the WSCC Weights and Measures page, which isn't helpful as their weighbridge information comes under Traffic Management here.  That shows three locations, one of which is "self-serve" and free.

There is a weighbridge on the A23 northbound at Handcross.  That also used to be free 24x7 but, following extensive roadworks, it has been rebuilt and I'm not sure of its status (it isn't on the council list either).

HTH
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: