Accident my pride and joy

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Accident my pride and joy

Post by daisy mae on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:28 pm

In Surrey after being at the Norfolk motor home show, today on way to a family funeral, I asked my husband to drive as I was trying to calm the rescue dog who is a handful, a few miles from the church, he hit a low level bridge, I couldn't say anything at first, in shock I think. Took off both TV aerials, cowling, badly scratched, Heki2  dome, cannot get up there myself to view the damage. 

Is it best to go back to Autosleepers,  or any suggestions please, I am not claiming on my insurance, never had a course to in nearly forty years, my husband says he will pay, too right he will, if I wasn't struggling with the dog and took my eyes off the road or I was driving it wouldn't have happened, 

I look after my van  very well and three weeks ago had a refurbishment which cost me quite a bit, no good saying anything it is done now and has to be sorted, could have been worse at least no one was injured. I just want it back to how it was.shrugg

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank you,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Accident my pride and joy

Post by chrisvesey on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:42 pm

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your accident, hope you get it sorted,
Chris
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sold it

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:58 pm

Margaret,

What a shock that must have been!!  My deepest commiserations! tap_fingers  tap_fingers

From the description you give it looks as if your husband will be lucky to get any change out of £1,500 and as you are more or less "local" to AS I agree that it is probably the best place to take the van.

In the meantime though, don't forget to treble check that there is nothing up there that is letting rainwater drip into the van.  That would rapidly cause almost as much damage as hitting a bridge!

This isn't really a suggestion for your hubby, but it may be relevant.

A few years ago, one of our sons came too fast into a corner within 50 yards of our cottage and sideswiped his car into a granite wall right underneath a sign that said "DRIVE SLOWLY"!

He still insisted that he was a good driver so I suggested that:

A)  He got his eyes tested; and

B)  If his eyes were okay then he should enrol himself on a Speed Reading Course. Whistle1 Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:51 pm

What an unfortunate thing to happen Margaret. As Ian says, firstly make sure no rainwater can get in. Do you know anyone who can get the van under cover, friendly garage or farmers barn etc? At least send someone up there armed with a roll of gaffa tape!
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:13 am

Margaret 
Give Mark Burdett a call at A/S Willersey on 01386853511, he starts work at 8a.m and will be able to offer you advice on repairs etc.
Really sorry about your wee bump.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:40 am

Very sorry to hear of your bump !

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:46 am

Oh Margaret what a sad scenario, so sorry to hear your van is damaged, I know you love it. I am sure it will be fixed up OK they are pretty robust things. Hope the marriage is too lol.  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
Best
Andie
m8form8

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:40 am

So sorry to hear this sad news, Margaret!  Thank goodness the weather is set fair (ish) for a few days, at least until you can find someone young and agile enough to get up top and put things right!

You must be absolutely gutted. so angry .. But I really feel for your poor Other Half, too blush .... Poor man!  all confused ..

Pity you are so far away from us, as we have an unused Motor home cover sitting in our garden shed....

Good luck finding an agile friend asap! broomstick
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks guys, yes have got gaff a tape over where the aerials are ripped off, hubby says the roof is ok will believe that when an expert has had a look, will be going home tomorrow will ring Mark Monday, have I got it right AS shut down for August...? Now looking on line for replacements.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:28 pm

What a shame, Margaret. But I admire your attitude - no point crying over spilt milk. And you've rightly put the damage in context: no-one injured, but a dent in your husband's pride. And in his wallet. And in your MH. Just think of the points you've accumulated: that's an awful lot of grovelling to do for a long time!

The advice already given is of course sound. Weatherproof as far as possible; and contact A/S asap.

Hitting a low bridge is a real concern of mine, so I've downloaded PoIs for my satnavs, and have set it at a pretended height which is a foot less than the real height. That was after I found myself almost trapped in a village in Germany last year: 3 of the 4 roads off a little square involved going under arches which were clearly too low for us, so a laborious U-turn to creep out the way we'd come in. My big nightmare is the way in which some French roads dive underground: if you don't spot the height in time to veer off and stay above ground, it's a total freak-out to reverse out of the neck of the tunnel when, too late, you find that you can't fit. Beleive me!!

Hope you get things sorted soon, at not too great a financial cost. The cost to relaitionships will take a while to calculate!!
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:03 pm

If I was you Margaret I'd claim on the insurance, after all that's what it's for, you get no brownie points for having a claim free record. If you've not had a claim in 40 years they won't be treating you as a bad risk in future. Just think of all those premiums they've had off you over the years! Time to get a little back.
bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:46 am

Cymro wrote:............. My big nightmare is the way in which some French roads dive underground: if you don't spot the height in time to veer off and stay above ground, it's a total freak-out to reverse out of the neck of the tunnel when, too late, you find that you can't fit. Beleive me!!

Hi there,

Slightly goneoff goneoff but that struck a chord!!! tap_fingers  tap_fingers

Just for people who don't know (and to save them learning the hard way like some of us have had to do!) .... tap_fingers  tap_fingers

.... in many continental cities (but especially in France) there are "under-passes" at many of the busiest junctions.

Although I cannot guarantee this information for ALL "under-passes", over the years we have discovered that ....

.... the "under-passes" are ALWAYS in the left-hand (fast) lane ....

.... there is ALWAYS a lane available that avoids the "under-pass" IF it is less than 4.5m high OR if there ISN'T a height restriction warning at the entrance to the route.

So, in cities it is always better to stick to the right-hand lane and to NEVER be tempted to move into the "fast" lane unless you know the road you are travelling on.

Needless to say, because the "under-passes" are on the busiest junctions you will be well blessed by the time you have stopped all of the traffic and cleared enough vehicles behind you to enable you to reverse backwards up the ramp to avoid getting your roof ripped off.

Indeed, most of your fellow road users would prefer you tear the top off your van than delay their journey!  Whistle1  Whistle1

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:22 am

Margaret sorry to hear about your accident at least no one was hurt and the van can be repaired I would if it were me take it to Auto Sleeper if it is going to cost a lot use your insurance thats what you pay it for.
Shuggiegreen

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:26 am

Thats terrible news Daisy Mae... My heart sunk when I read your post imagining how devestated I'd be... Hope you can get it all sorted out... Do keep us updated

Saw your AE Clubman in the camping area at the Norfolk Show & it looked lovely wave

CC

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Oh Margaret, what a shame, but at least you're both unhurt.

If it was me, I'd be claiming from the insurance, that's what it's there for, assuming that hubby is a named driver of course.

I've just been hit with a £60 parking fine, after SWMBO offered to pay for a parking ticket at a local retail park, and then entered HER registration number into the machine instead of mine, dozy old bat  confused3 confused3 hugegrins
meanchris

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:09 pm

Thanks for all the advice, I have  hubby added on to my car insurance in case for some reason I couldn`t drive, although I am usually in it on my own.I will find out first the cost of repairs, I have to pay the first £350 and then as I understand it the premium will go up the next time , it is due this month.

Hubby did say at the time he would pay. after the funeral we went back to his cousins, they said" how on earth did you miss the sign, directing high vehicles along the lorry route", the bridge was 2.5metres high. I said he should go to Specsavers

.Swansea Jac   many thanks for offer of a cover, much appreciated.

meananchris, ouch!! with the parking fine, just shows how easily these thing happen.

Cruising Comet you should have come and said hello, a drink etc would have been offered.

I was hoping to go to Malvern, that depends now on repairs.

Will keep you posted, arrived home about 1.30pm today, had rain this evening, must admit a bit edgy with it raining, I know there is Gaffa tape up there, but still , hoping there isn`t damage to the GPR roof as I don`t know the effect of a bash like it did have. I think the Heki2 dome is maybe the most expensive replacement, plus a new aerial, probably have to buy the whole thing, but it is the labour costs that push it through the roof, pardon the pun snigger did have to laugh at that, didn`t realise until I had typed it.

Thanks again for advise.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:03 am

Definitel one for Mark Burdett. May cost a bit more but worth it. As far as claiming is concerned do the sums. If you hsve protected NCD then that won't chsnge but the basic premium will. My car was bashed in a car oark £1500 for a new rear bumper! That cost me £250 excess plus an extra £100 on the car insurance AND the motorhome insurance, prably for 3 years! If you don't have protected NCD then it hurts more as you drop back on the scale of discounts.
 At lesst it's his record snd not yours

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

bridges

Post by galavanter on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:17 am

very sorry to hear of accident .I was wandering if over the years of re tarmacking the stated clearance under a bridge may alter just a curious thought .hope everything gets sorted soon
galavanter

Male

Auto-Sleeper : gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:14 am

If you know of anyone driving between Swansea and your place, you are welcome to have our cover (free) or I suppose I could send it via courrier if you want it?  Depends how soon you can get it under cover, or mended, I suppose.  Let me know!  Anyone else on here passing near Swansea and leistershire, please?

When we had a little leak on the roof, a nimble young friend went up to check it, and took reassuring pics on his camera phone
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Swansea Jac, many thanks, have looked out of the bedroom window and there is duct tape over both aerial entry points and the flue, the Heki2 dome is very badly scratched doesn`t appear to have holes in it, will want it replacing anyway, the TV aerial that I use the model has changed so probably complete replacement,( new and improved, so a bonus) the other aerial was going to be taken off anyway has saved the bother, biggrin as redundant I already have the blanking plate and sealant,  at the end of the day it could be a lot worse, so hopefully will be sorted asap, then  can get back to travelling.

I hope a lesson has be learnt by other half, he is not careful enough and doesn`t look after things as I do, I was brought up to look after things as not easy to afford and takes some saving up, I will not be able to buy another van,  this is ideal for me so no need to change, any bigger and it wouldn`t be suitable for my everyday vehicle, shopping for one thing, can get into most parking spaces.

Thanks again guys, such a helpful forum, saw a few AS vans when away, no ASOF sticker showing, none of the owners were around so couldn`t plug the forum.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:45 pm

I know everyone's circumstances are different Margaret, but I did titter when you said hubby would pay. I've been married over 40 years now and we've never had his and hers money. From day one everything has been joint. Some years my wife contributed more, others I did. We both draw out of the accounts as and when. I buy motorbikes, she buys shoes....
Hope you get the van sorted while there's still some summer left.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:55 pm

goneoff... Coming from another angle...We have a rescue dog.  We had her at 8 months, a bundle of bones and fear.  Never travelled in a cars so constantly car-sick.  We bought a metal cage and a washable duvet for it.  She now travels really well in it, with the rear seats of my little car folded down.

The crate also just fits tidily between the lounge seats in the van, so, with a dedicated rear view mirror trained on her, we can travel without worrying about her.

And when we are camping, she uses it as an out door quiet space, with the two doors open and a towel over it for shade when (if) the sun shines.
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi Al ,

Perhaps seems strange, but we have always had own accounts, apart  from household in joint names, others separately, I deal with all household bills , it works for us,( perhaps because we were on our own for five years and I have always been independent,  this has always been the case in my family, my mother and Grandmother where in charge of the household accounts, my ex used to say he had the bother of earning money didn`t want to know about the paying out . each to their own , we  have never argued about money, I know couples that have .

eg, Hubby pays for the C&CC also the CC subscriptions every year, I pay the RAC breakdown service.

I know youngsters where the wife has to tip up half of mortgage and household bills  ,when one of the wife's lost her job was worried stiff she couldn`t pay her share. consequently when having a family they had no choice but to return to work.

oh! dear goneoff    err sorry
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:21 pm

Swansea Jac wrote:goneoff... Coming from another angle...We have a rescue dog.  We had her at 8 months, a bundle of bones and fear.  Never travelled in a cars so constantly car-sick.  We bought a metal cage and a washable duvet for it.  She now travels really well in it, with the rear seats of my little car folded down.

The crate also just fits tidily between the lounge seats in the van, so, with a dedicated rear view mirror trained on her, we can travel without worrying about her.

And when we are camping, she uses it as an out door quiet space, with the two doors open and a towel over it for shade when (if) the sun shines.
We have a crate in the car, he has bent the bars, ripped his claws and made his nose bleed, too traumatic for him in a crate so abandoned that idea,had a dog guard in the car, he ripped the car that he could reach,  in the house we have dog gate between kitchen and dining room, he has taken out a metal bar completely. he is better in the motor home than the car , but it is upsetting the other dog who hates him barking and tries to stop him, has done since she was five month old, jumps on his back puts her teeth on his ear and pulls him down from the window in the house,

Thing is he can`t wait to get in to the car or the van, then starts barking , and prancing about, especially if a lorry passes us, I have had to make a cover for the gear stick as he slobbers all over it, hubby has spent hundreds of pounds on dog behaviourists and trainers, he is the sixth rescue dog we have had the others turned out super dogs, as Alfie is twelve now we are looking after him as he has health issues,wouldn`t part with him not fair to him,  can be a lovely dog when he wants to be, house is damaged never had that with any dog, have had thirteen dogs altogether. if we had known wouldn`t have taken him on in the first place. Wouldn`t  take on another rescue. I know it is his treatment from the start by the other five owners so not his fault, just grateful he is tons better than he used to be. couldn`t put him in kennels he would go berserk. poor dog.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac on Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:38 pm

Oh dear!  You certainly have your hands full!  covermyeyes Have to say, our little rescued friend has calmed down.  She is 3 now and so gentle and polite..she understands "excuse me" and gives up my chair when i want to sit in it snoozing ...However, we had to start by housetraining her...and at 8 months she was a chewer...shoes, slippers, TV zappers, hearing aids (two), belts, pens, the waistbands of my trousers, sock ties, and the funiest of the lot...a wicker basket, which completely filled the landing!  Sorry...off topic again, but let's hope it has taken your mind off your poorly van for a while? fingersx
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum