Gas cylinders for a Legend

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gas cylinders for a Legend

Post by shipbadger on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:17 pm

I've finished the shopping phase of owning a monocoque having put down a deposit on 1998 Legend.

When viewing the van I made a mental note of a propane regulator in the gas bottle cupboard.  What I didn't do was check the size of cylinder that can be accommodated.  I have various Calor cylinders in the garden (some left over from my caravanning days) but inevitably most are empty.  It would be nice to have some gas available when I bring the MH home in a couple of weeks time.  It's a 200 mile round trip and most places will be shut when I get back.

I have a small propane, a 6Kg, and other larger ones which won't fit.  Do I need the smallest (3.9kg is it) or will the 6kg fit?  I also had a look at Calor's site and see there is now a lightweight propane cylinder, does anyone have experience of these?  In the past I found difficulty in getting a refilled 6kg cylinder at some stockists and I'm not sure I've even seen a lightweight in the flesh.

Lastly I have trouble comprehending Calor's exchange policy, at times they seem happy to swop a cylinder of one type for another, at others it's a no no.  They have cylinder types in groups, but it seems you can't 'downsize' even if the deposit on the cylinders is the same.  Needless to say some of my cylinders have been passed on through the family or I've lost the rental agreements several house moves ago so can't just get my money back and take out a new agreement.

Tony Comber
shipbadger
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gas cylinders for a Legend

Post by Gromit on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:52 pm

Hi Tony

Can't answer your question, but I can help spend your money! snigger

I don't know if this will be of interest to you, or will fit into your locker, but have a look at http://www.safefill.co.uk/our-cylinders.html 

These are very light as shown by the girl in the images (she is not an optional extra btw!) and getting a refill will never be a problem again. A glance tells you how much gas you have left, and you can top up at any time with LPG at less than half the price of a Calor refill. No trouble in France either since all you need is an inexpensive adapter and you never need worry about the impossibility of getting Calor refills abroad.

Worth a look perhaps?

Dave smile!

P.S. If you like the idea but those bottles are too fat, there are several similar alternatives, but a bit more expensive.
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shipbadger on Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Dave,

Thanks, I've bookmarked that site; I'd come across Gas-it and whatever the yellow cylinders are called but not Safe-fill before.

Tony
shipbadger
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:58 pm

GasIt supply at competitive prices and also supply equipment to     Auto Sleepers, Autotrail etc for original fitment to vans

Your Legend will take 2 x 6kg Propane cylinders. I wouldnt bother with Butane (not brilliant in winter)

When you get the van fit a new regulator - you know how old it is then.

What Distributors and Dealers will swop cylinder wise depends on them, know Calor have a policy but it seems to vary

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:52 am

Gromit wrote:P.S. If you like the idea but those bottles are too fat, there are several similar alternatives, but a bit more expensive.
I was wrong Tony - probably. Whistle1

Just compared Gas-It with Safe-Fill after seeing Roli's post, and Gas-It are only 2/3rds the price of Safe-Fill, for the bottle alone!

Worth checking carefully though to decide what suits you best. With Safe-Fill you don't need to install and external filler point. It's all done on the bottle - but external fillers avoid possible (but unlikely) problems with forecourt attendants who might think you are trying to fill a standard Calor bottle.

The fill point and hose included in a Gas-It installation kit brings the price up to within £10 of Safe-Fill. Gas-It = £150. Safe-Fill = £160. Gas-It = 6kg (12 litres approx). Safe-Fill = 5kg (10 litres approx).

If you decide to get a re-fillable system (and want advice) I think mine would be to go for Gas-It with an external fill point. Either way it will take quite a while to reap the benefit financially, even though the gas is much cheaper to buy, but the convenience factor may well be worth it. Not least the ease with which you could set out for France with a full tank, and have no worries about getting a top up if you need one. Likewise at home, you can top up at any time so there's never the concern about running out of gas.

http://www.mylpg.eu/stations/ Click on the country and download the POI.

Hope this helps

Dave
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum