Executive Fridge Replacement - Electrolux

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Executive Fridge Replacement - Electrolux

Post by beaumonta on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:36 am

Hi Folks,

My 1999 model Auto-Sleeper executive has an originally installed over-wheel mounted Electrolux RM 4230 fridge. It was never very good, only seemed to work poorly on gas (never 12volt or 240volt) and now even this has stopped working. I'd like to get it replaced with a completely new model, but all the new models seem considerably larger than my current one. Not sure if they are really bigger or just the modern ones have more space efficient design.

Has anyone done a complete old-for-new fridge replacement and can share details?

Thanks,
Andy
beaumonta

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Executive Fridge Replacement - Electrolux

Post by SteveUK on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:55 am

Hi Andy,

I replaced the fridge in my Clubman a couple of years ago.  It wasn't cheap at over £500, but I couldn't find a second-hand one at that time (and did wonder whether that could be throwing good money away!).

The one I bought was the Dometic RM5310, dimensions 61.8 x 48.6 x 47.4 (H x W x D).  I would imagine that the same model would fit your Executive as well.

It was fairly straightforward to fit.

Good luck!

Steve
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by beaumonta on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:24 am

SteveUK wrote:The one I bought was the Dometic RM5310, dimensions 61.8 x 48.6 x 47.4 (H x W x D).  I would imagine that the same model would fit your Executive as well.

Thanks Steve - Nice fridge that one, not very different looking than my existing one but mine is a lot taller.

Height 821mm
Width 486mm
Depth (including cooling unit) 435mm without door and 474mm with door.

I don't mind paying north of £500 for a new fridge provided it works reliably and stops my chicken from going off.

Nothing worse than opening a box of fresh chicken to find its gone off.  fedup
beaumonta

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:38 am

I had a quick look on Jacksons Leisure and the closest size-wise I could see at 82.1 x 48.6 x 54.3 was the Thetford N3080. 

That would seem to be over 2.5" deeper than yours (assuming they measured with the door on).  Might be worth checking to see whether the extra depth would fit?

Steve
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenvid on Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:37 am

We have a 4200 series fridge fitted as standard in our 2002/03 duetto. It works well on 12v, 240 volt and gas.

Gas and mains electricity will both produce great ice cubes for sundowners. 12v will keep the cubes as ice while driving.

Your fridge, if it was working properly, should probably be sufficient to meet your needs. If it can be repaired properly, there may be no need to go down the route of purchasing a new one.

Perhaps the best first step is to get someone qualified to look at it: putting it to rights may not be expensive if the problem is a simple one. Many spare parts are still available.

The fact that you report your fridge is not working on 12v or mains could even be a fault away from the fridge itself: e.g. a blown fuse, tripped switch or bad connection along the wiring to the fridge. A new fridge might not still work on electric (battery or mains) if the problem lies further along the circuitry.
Jenvid

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ford Transit Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by beaumonta on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:13 pm

Jenvid wrote:Your fridge, if it was working properly, should probably be sufficient to meet your needs. If it can be repaired properly, there may be no need to go down the route of purchasing a new one.

Indeed, which is why I have contacted Invicta Caravans in Kent who are listed as National Caravan Council Approved Mobile Workshop, and registered member of the MCEA (Mobile Caravan Engineers Association) to get a qualified engineer to inspect and assess the problem. Currently planning a visit to them next week, but wanted some forum guidance first.

Jenvid wrote:The fact that you report your fridge is not working on 12v or mains could even be a fault away from the fridge itself: e.g. a blown fuse, tripped switch or bad connection along the wiring to the fridge. A new fridge might not still work on electric (battery or mains) if the problem lies further along the circuitry.

I've checked and tested the fuses and they seem okay, equally the 12volt (Red) and 240volt (Green) illuminated switches both light up, so any power problem is likely to be internal to the fridge itself rather than an external supply issue.

Jenvid wrote:Your fridge, if it was working properly, should probably be sufficient to meet your needs. If it can be repaired properly, there may be no need to go down the route of purchasing a new one.

Yes, but at the end of the day it is a 16-year old fridge which even when it did work on gas was cool rather than cold. The ice box unit is too small and dissected in half by a freezer element so its difficult to squeeze a bag of peas in there. My usual trick was to individually wrap 4 chicken drumsticks (2 on top of the freezer element and 2 below), but then it was full.

In getting a new fridge I hoped that 16-years of advances in technology would mean I could enjoy at least a shoebox sized freezer unit and a slightly more spacious refrigeration unit.

so_sad
beaumonta

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenvid on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:32 pm

Sorry, I could not be of more help: from your reply, you have clearly already anticipated any thoughts on the subject I was able to contribute. smile!

Perhaps someone will still come up with some better answers.

I'll be very interested in the eventual outcome, if you will be kind enough to report back - not least as I may well face the need to repair/replace my own fridge one day. Good luck!
Jenvid

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ford Transit Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum