Autosleeper clubman 2003 hot shower tap broke

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Autosleeper clubman 2003 hot shower tap broke

Post by tony54 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Hi All, Hope some one can offer advice and possible spares location to fix the hot shower tap.

I turned the hot shower tap off this morning and it just spun round without turning the water off. On stripping the unit I found the part that the spindle fits into has its 'teeth' graunched so the spindle doesn't turn off the tap. I did notice that when turning the spindle by hand I could open and close the valve but it was very stiff. I wonder if they are always stiff or has it stiffened over time. I'm hoping I can just replace the hot water assembly and not the whole hot and cold unit. 

Has anyone had this problem and would like to help me on my endeavors, smile!

Thanks
Tony
tony54

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper club, 2.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Autosleeper clubman 2003 hot shower tap broke

Post by tony54 on Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:16 pm

tony54 wrote:Hi All, Hope some one can offer advice and possible spares location to fix the hot shower tap.

I turned the hot shower tap off this morning and it just spun round without turning the water off. On stripping the unit I found the part that the spindle fits into has its 'teeth' graunched so the spindle doesn't turn off the tap. I did notice that when turning the spindle by hand I could open and close the valve but it was very stiff. I wonder if they are always stiff or has it stiffened over time. I'm hoping I can just replace the hot water assembly and not the whole hot and cold unit. 

Has anyone had this problem and would like to help me on my endeavors, smile!

Thanks
Tony
On further investigation, it looks like the part I need is in this assembly,if its the same size, I've found on amazon, but hopefully I will be able to get just the part I need.
tony54

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tallboy on Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:42 am

Hi Tony,
This isn't going to be a huge amount of help to you, but I had the same problem several years ago. I couldn't find the right parts to replace the faulty bits and I ended up buying a complete new mixer unit, which was expensive, around £55. But a quick comparison of the new with the old showed that the cold tap was much stiffer too, and was probably not far off giving similar problems. I'm sorry I can't tell you where I got the replacement- I can't find the receipt, but they are out there if you look on line. Check the measurements though because there are several alternatives.
Good luck with the search!

Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '99 T4 Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tony54 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:31 pm

Tallboy wrote:Hi Tony,
This isn't going to be a huge amount of help to you, but I had the same problem several years ago. I couldn't find the right parts to replace the faulty bits and I ended up buying a complete new mixer unit, which was expensive, around £55. But a quick comparison of the new with the old showed that the cold tap was much stiffer too, and was probably not far off giving similar problems. I'm sorry I can't tell you where I got the replacement- I can't find the receipt, but they are out there if you look on line. Check the measurements though because there are several alternatives.
Good luck with the search!

Rich
Hi Rich, 

Thanks for your help, I;ve done what you did and got a complete tap set from here..http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000W4H5TI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00.
 Fortunately the tap gizzards are the same as on our clubman so not too difficult to change the faulty bit. The new hot tap turns more freely than the unplaced cold tap so maybe thats the reasonthe spindles break.
tony54

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tallboy on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:37 am

Hi Tony, 
Thats a completely different unit to mine- I'd be fuming if I was expected to pay nearly £50 for plastic taps. These 
http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/caravan/water/product_31865/comet_exclusive_shower_mixer_tap.aspx
are fitted to my Clubman, chromed metal, and I wasn't very happy with the price of them!
Don't know if you've made a start on fitting them yet, but I found it to be a *** of a job because of the lack of play in the pipes feeding the taps. I took the opportunity to add another 18" to both shower feeds and the sink taps, which came in really handy when I replaced the rear bathroom wall and sink a couple of years ago.

Best wishes,
Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tony54 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi Rich,
Yes I was a bit aggrieved at the expense but we are using our motor home as our main home whilst we are completely renovating a house we bought. There is no hot water source in the house yet so had to find a solution for hot water quickly..nothing like cold showering for focusing the mind,lol.
It was a bit fiddly changing the part and one should write down how it comes apart to help re assembly. The red knob just clips off and then there were three screws to remove which require a right angled screw driver. On assembling the first time the tap wouldn't close completely so I changed a sealing washer from the old tap to the new and that did the trick. Also I at first over tightened the three screws and the taps would fully open so I released them a tad and it works fine., touch wood.
Thanks gain for your help and good luck. Might bump into you one day as we are now at S yorks.

Tony
tony54

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tallboy on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:59 pm

Glad you got it sorted! Actually, I spend as little time as poss in the Rotherham part of S. Yorks for obvious reasons, but I usually wave to fellow AS drivers when I see them.
Cheers!

Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tony54 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Thanks Rich,
We too, get away as much as possibly, especially s france and northern Spain.
tony54

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum