The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway Build/Design Quality Issues

+18
artheytrate
Pete Taylor
ajrm
-mojo-
Jaytee
tony50
Charliefarlie
mikethebike
Maasai Warrior
mike
PennyandDerek
paul bullock
Gromit
Paulmold
Bad Penny
Shuggiegreen
groundhog
Backtrax
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Broadway Build/Design Quality Issues - Page 3 Empty Re: Broadway Build/Design Quality Issues

Post by Motor Plus 9/8/2015, 14:07

Hello, yes it's true some of us dealers keep an eye on this forum for a simple reason really, we may sell and service Auto Sleepers but it's you people that use them and yes that means it's you people that get the problems. I can assure you that since taking the decision to sell only the Auto Sleeper brand we work very closely with Auto Sleeper on all aspects of build quality, it's vital to us.

I can't sit here and argue with anything that you have said and I can't speak for other dealerships or Auto Sleeper themselves but it goes without saying that motorhomes that were built 10/15 years ago were built very differently today across the board. 

Manufacturers of the components that are fitted are responsible to provide their customer, Auto Sleeper, with a quality product be that a fridge or a hinge if that component fails it's then about getting that issue solved as quickly and as effectively as possible.

As the UK's leading independent Auto Sleeper dealer we try to make sure that the product you are buying is the product you expect and we certainly don't expect that you the owner should be carrying out quality control BUT we don't use the motorhome that would be impossible, we are sure that when you take your new motorhome from us that we have tested everything to make sure it operates and is of the standard it should be (We do miss things occasionally, we are human don't you know).

I don't need to say to you that these products are hand built, not at all like a car, you know that already but there are quality controls carried out before the motorhome leaves the factory but then we carry out a full habitation service and quality check as a matter of course before a customer receives it on a detailed handover, we have learn't that you cannot cut corners, quality matters!

I can assure you that we will continue to work with Auto Sleeper to maintain and improve as we move forward as a business our choice to sell one brand dictates that.

We are always open to helping Auto Sleeper owners even if you haven't purchased from us and if we can be of any help please don't hesitate to contact us or as you have stated, Mark and his staff at the factory are there to help through the warranty procedure.

Regards

Mark

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Auto-Sleepers Dealer

Back to top Go down

Broadway Build/Design Quality Issues - Page 3 Empty Re: Broadway Build/Design Quality Issues

Post by Backtrax 9/8/2015, 15:15

Mark, As the original author of this thread I am gratified that someone who may have influence in these matters has taken an interest.
Unfortunately, albeit predicably, my thread has been somewhat highjacked by discussion about 'third party products' fitted to Autosleeper vans. 
Certainly, had I wished to, I could have included a catalogue of such issues, and I agree entirely with your comments on these items.
The point of my thread, however, was to highlight Autosleepers own build/design quality issues which with the correct feed-back loops could be avoided.
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold 9/8/2015, 15:18

It's good to see someone from Motor Plus taking an interest in this forum. My question is , where have you been, it's over 2 years since you posted (not saying you don't visit without posting) but you should be a useful member, welcome back.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Motor Plus 9/8/2015, 15:41

Hello Paulmold, point taken, its been a while, busy life I guess it's only me within the company structure that comes on here. As the After Sales Manager it's always good to talk to the owners.

Mark

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Auto-Sleepers Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog 9/8/2015, 16:41

Can I also say how good it is to see a dealer on here, really welcome change... up!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit 9/8/2015, 16:46

+ another thanks.

Long may it continue - well done Mark.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate 9/8/2015, 18:18

Thanks from me too Mark, by the way could you tell me how much your company charge for a habitation check on a 2014 Broadway EB as you are not to far from where I live in Stoke on Trent.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie 9/8/2015, 19:09

Having spent literately days pulling the interior of our 2013 Kemerton apart I have to say in honesty I'm absolutely disgusted at the build quality on this expensive van. 

Cables rattling round with zero effort to clip them or make them so they dont flap about . Windows that need removing and hours spent with adhesive foam strips to stop them shaking themselves apart. Cupboards doors and cabinets requiring fitting again so they don't squeak or rattle. The list goes on and on.... 

We with our lack of knowledge bought an Auto Sleeper on advice they were excellent and built well. Sorry this is not true.

If just a wee bit of care and consideration was or had been taken 90% of my time and efforts would not have been required ! Its plain bloody laziness that has caused most of it.

Dont misunderstand we love this vehicle but its a shame I had to take the thing apart and do what should have been done in the first place ! Fortunately having over 40 years in construction means this rather tedious task has not been that hard but not everyone has the skills or inclination to take a very expensive vehicle apart !.

Sorry for the rant and I genuinely hope the AS Factory reads this though I doubt they will. Mmmm

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter 9/8/2015, 19:38

Charlie: before you reconstructed your van would it not have been a good thing to take it, and list of faults, back to AS (not a long way from the Vale of Evesham  ) ?

That way you would have done them a favour insofar as they would have been able to trace the faults back and see why someone had let the firm down by signing off a sub- standard van. They do value their reputation, indeed survive by it, so, if standards fall then it is only right they get first chance to do something about it. 

I' M all for motorhomes being able to do routine maintenance but if everyone sorts out post-sale snags as well then how will the firm ever be able to learn by mistakes ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm 9/8/2015, 20:42

Anyone any idea how the plan to sell AS in Germany is going

Peterm
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie 9/8/2015, 22:01

Quilter wrote:Charlie: before you reconstructed your van would it not have been a good thing to take it, and list of faults, back to AS (not a long way from the Vale of Evesham  ) ?

That way you would have done them a favour insofar as they would have been able to trace the faults back and see why someone had let the firm down by signing off a sub- standard van. They do value their reputation, indeed survive by it, so, if standards fall then it is only right they get first chance to do something about it. 

I' M all for motorhomes being able to do routine maintenance but if everyone sorts out post-sale snags as well then how will the firm ever be able to learn by mistakes ?

Forgive my flippancy it's not aimed at you but do you mean the same company who can't be bothered to send me a PDF of the window blind so I the customer can rectify a fault myself ? 

I repeat my comments above we love this van . 

Sadly if the company who built it couldn't at least do a half decent job then I will see if I as a rank amature can do better. 

Honestly no effort at all has been demonstrated in the build quality of this van.. Sloppy doesn't get near. 

I really expected more .. I was looking at Swift Mondials and Autocruise vans 10K cheaper and was told by a few people including dealers AS were a cut above. Sorry but if AS are then the rest must be abysmal ..

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog 10/8/2015, 09:51

That's the problem of course, most of the others are abysmal. Over many years I have owned several different makes of caravan and motorhome and I assure you that A/S are among the best for quality.

That is why I bought one!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen 10/8/2015, 09:57

groundhog. A sad indictment of the British motorhome industry.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog 10/8/2015, 10:00

Except I would probably exclude the word British, some of the continental ones are no better.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter 10/8/2015, 10:32

In 2007 we bought a new van from a well known UK company. The van proved to have pretty well every known build fault, and some unknown. The company were unhelpful to say the least.  During the following 2 years we had a mainly friendly, productive dialogue with them at senior level and, I like to think, we were instrumental in there being significant changes in the way the company was managed and dealt with their customers.

Our new Broadway was not 100 % fault free but the minor niggles we had were dealt with quickly and efficiently by AS, both on the phone and at Willersey. We liked the build quality and design ( or we would not have paid so much for it !)  but, even more, we like and trust the people who work for the company.  It is a great pity that Charliefarley has got a duff van and feels he has been ignored. From our experience, and that of many others, this is not a characteristic of AS and I feel strongly that they ought to have been given the chance to check the van again and sort it out.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog 10/8/2015, 11:09

It does seem that all these vans, swift, autotrail, bailey and yes the continental ones too are built 'down to a quality' chassis wise as well.

We have the Sprinter which is so much better than previous Fiat and Peugeot chassis we have owned by why oh why do A/S delete things like adjustable steering column, basic sound system, no steering wheel controls and then NOT GIVE THE OPTION TO SPECIFY THEM IF YOU WANT THEM.

I succeeded in getting heated seats in mine, had to buy a proper leather steering wheel from Royal steering wheels ( fitted free by MB!) and add an Alpine radio, now all those things could have been added at build stage and A/S may even have made more money had the options been there? MB do a perfectly good cd/satnav, I would have specified that but no chance. 

They are bespoke vehicles, even the cheapest cars give you options?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike 10/8/2015, 11:38

groundhog wrote:It does seem that all these vans, swift, autotrail, bailey and yes the continental ones too are built 'down to a quality' chassis wise as well.

We have the Sprinter which is so much better than previous Fiat and Peugeot chassis we have owned by why oh why do A/S delete things like adjustable steering column, basic sound system, no steering wheel controls and then NOT GIVE THE OPTION TO SPECIFY THEM IF YOU WANT THEM.

I succeeded in getting heated seats in mine, had to buy a proper leather steering wheel from Royal steering wheels ( fitted free by MB!) and add an Alpine radio, now all those things could have been added at build stage and A/S may even have made more money had the options been there? MB do a perfectly good cd/satnav, I would have specified that but no chance. 

They are bespoke vehicles, even the cheapest cars give you options?

I expect they buy in basic batches at a lower cost per item.
Adding things afterwards is costly and slows down production.
As I read it Motorhomes are selling like hot cakes. Rushed production=mistakes.
They appear to sell all they can make. smile!
I always say buy used and get the model and spec you want. Within reason!

Regards

Micky

mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor 10/8/2015, 12:27

groundhog wrote:.......................

I asked Alan Currie at A-S why the spec of our Sprinter was not recognised by Mercedes Benz Commercial in Manchester; he told me that A-S get their base units around £1100 cheaper by using a "rhd continental" spec- surely a contradiction in terms(!). That's why we get the steering wheel without buttons (standard item in UK spec) and different (cheaper) audio unit, non-UK spec suspension; the 3.5 tonne option from A-S is merely a re-plating of 3.2 tonne unit, while the 3.5 tonne UK spec has heavier-duty springs and shockers on the back end.
The reason for not being able to pick and chose from the options list (like Joe the Plumber and Mick the Parcel-man can when they order a van/chassis from M-B dealership) is because A-S get a discount for ordering a large number of units all to the same spec.

Readers with a memory going back a few months may recall some of the aggravation I had when I tried to get what I had ordered months before- a 3.5 tonne vehicle. Rather than give myself a thrombo I eventually settled for the addition of semi-air suspension, cost split 3-ways between A-S, the dealer and myself. I was not and still am not happy. I'm also less than happy with (lack of) service received from Marquis regarding warranty work, they have not actually done anything, refusal to tackle a mis-fittting locker door and loose cable on the roof plus no contact regarding spare parts for faulty items and no contact regarding an estimate for replacement of roof windows damaged by an over-hanging branch, which I hoped to use in a claim against the Council. I'm determined not to darken the door-way of the supplying dealer again, and now Marquis Preston are unlikely to see me again.

So: when the hab service is due, I'll factor in a drive to Derby; at least we seem to have a dealer there who is interested in customer service. The folks at Mercedes Benz Commercial in Manchester cannot be faulted, they have gone the extra mile in my dealings with them.

Last edited by Pete Taylor on 10/8/2015, 13:48; edited 1 time in total

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie 10/8/2015, 12:57

I like the actual finish in our van.. No doubt it is streets ahead of the equivalent Swift Mondial or Auto-cruise. 
They look ..... Well frankly cheap and nasty in comparison. 

So for that reason I'm glad we went for an AS . 

But my point is is that for a few hours more per unit and a bit of care and consideration these vehicles could be so much better. 

For instance the screws used to mount the windows and blinds in the sliding door are quite simply to short. One fell out in the lake district leaving the blind assembly flapping and rattling round and making a distracting din.

On return to the camp site I stripped the door down. Went to a B&Q for supplies and spent the afternoon making the thing as it should have been in the first place. 

While I don't mind doing these things I would rather not spend my holiday with the door in pieces, 

It does not and cannot take much thought when assembling these things in the first place. It is plain ridiculous !

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog 10/8/2015, 13:17

Marquis branches seem to differ wildly in terms of capability and service, we use the branch in Plymouth and I have to say they are excellent even to the point of once staying on after hours to fix a problem we had on the way to the ferry.

When I am paying the thick end of £70K for a motorhome I would have no problem paying an extra £2K or so if I got exactly what I wanted, it has to be possible surely, I have suggested this before, brand it as the bespoke collection or premium but surely there is a case for making the option available?

Wouldn't it be great if someone from A/S read this forum?

I do agree with CF though, just a little bit more thought and everything could be so much better, I am just in the process of screwing all our bed slats in place, currently stapled, I know they will eventually start falling out if I don't. The gas locker door is attached with two small hinges, a full length piano hinge would have made the thing so much better and cost pennies more.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike 10/8/2015, 14:44

groundhog wrote:Marquis branches seem to differ wildly in terms of capability and service, we use the branch in Plymouth and I have to say they are excellent even to the point of once staying on after hours to fix a problem we had on the way to the ferry.

When I am paying the thick end of £70K for a motorhome I would have no problem paying an extra £2K or so if I got exactly what I wanted, it has to be possible surely, I have suggested this before, brand it as the bespoke collection or premium but surely there is a case for making the option available?

Wouldn't it be great if someone from A/S read this forum?

I do agree with CF though, just a little bit more thought and everything could be so much better, I am just in the process of screwing all our bed slats in place, currently stapled, I know they will eventually start falling out if I don't. The gas locker door is attached with two small hinges, a full length piano hinge would have made the thing so much better and cost pennies more.

Hell will freeze over before AS starts reading and giving replies to all the complaints on this forum.IMHO.
Your best course of action is to list faults and send to CEO at AS. Keep a copy.
See what they say and go from there.

Regards

Micky

mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm 12/8/2015, 08:07

The towel ring fitted to the back of the bathroom door fell off yesterday!

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior 12/8/2015, 09:02

Ours has fallen off twice so I have used Loctite to secure the screw holding the ring, small raw plugs together with Araldite to finally fix the loose backplate to the back of the door. Job done! Guess what we hardly ever use that ring as I have carefully installed with double sided adhesive pads, a pair of his and hers chrome towel rings high up on opposite sides, just inside the shower area. I put them in just after we bought the van, about 17 months ago and they are still in position and working very well!

Just as well we are a practical lot!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen 12/8/2015, 09:09

It seems a real shame that spending all that money on a so called quality product that there appears to be so many niggling problems.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike 12/8/2015, 09:40

Shuggiegreen wrote:It seems a real shame that spending all that money on a so called quality product that there appears to be so many niggling problems.

Yes , and its not just this thread. tap_fingers
Maybe someone knows Peter Vaughan,he has had a tour of the production line.His views may be interesting.
For info the CEO is Geoff Scott.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next