Gurgling shower waste on a 97 Clubman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gurgling shower waste on a 97 Clubman

Post by john_l_k on 11/7/2015, 12:56

Hi all.
we recently bought another Clubman (our fourth), which has a waste tank/pipe issue.
When water is draining down the sink, water flows up through the shower waste.

I've just checked the waste pipes and they are clear, and routed correctly.
It happens whether the drain valve is open or closed, plug is in the shower tray or not, etc etc.

Has anyone any idea why this should happen as my only thoughts now are with the tank itself (venting problem)
john_l_k

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gurgling shower waste on a 97 Clubman

Post by daisy mae on 11/7/2015, 13:14

I may be stating the obvious, but is the waste tank too full. just a thought. if this apply just ignore.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on 11/7/2015, 15:58

I've recently started to experience similar problems. I've been out with the hosepipe this morning and filled it up with fresh water, and guess what, when it's full water is coming up through the 3 shower tray waste holes.. No sign at all of water cascading down the waste tank from the vent which is out of sight at the top of the tank. It looks like this vent is not possible to get at, so I'll leave the tank full of water and hope the blockage soaks away. If not, further investigation.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on 11/7/2015, 16:27

If you have the cheap and nasty barrel drain taps with a right-angled flow, these clog very easily and the flow through could be slower than the drain from sinks. If blocked, after clearing get it replaced with a more straight through type.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by john_l_k on 12/7/2015, 07:26

Thanks for your replies.

daisy mae the waste tank was empty. Nevertheless, yesterday after my OP I tested with it full too, and it does the same gurgle.

To give a better understanding
The kitchen sink and bathroom basin pipes join together in a T then flow quite straight with no possibility of water being trapped. They then enter the waste tank about 3/4 of the way up.

The shower waste pipe has no choice but to go down and under the chassis, then back up, causing a trap. The pipe then enters somewhere near the top of the tank (can't see exactly as it 's hidden by the van's chassis)
These two waste pipes are totally independant of each other.

bikeralw, it sounds like you have a similar problem, but it sounds strange if it is a blockage.
I've sent a flexible drain cleaning spring-type gadget down all the wastes, disconnected the pipe T and sent it up there too. No muck came out so my pipes appear to be clear.

And Paulmold, part of yesterday's job was to take off the drain pipes, reroute and actually attach brand new right-angled barrel drain taps. Whilst doing this I made sure the drain pipes were clear too.
Also, as I said earlier, the gurgle came whether this waste drain tap was open or closed. I know these barrel taps flow a lot slower, but do you think they should let air draw up into the system at the same time?

This is my only conclusion, that when the kitchen sink is draining, the water is forcing the air in front of it into the tank.
Then, because the top of the tank is not venting, and because the drain tap is either closed, or full of water while open and draining, the air is forced back up along the shower waste pushing the trapped water back up into the tray.

Looks like i need to drop the tank and check a) that there are vent holes, and b) that they are indeed blocked.
Unless of course someone has a different thought.
john_l_k

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw on 14/7/2015, 15:04

I left my waste tank full of fresh water overnight, so much so that the shower tray was brimming as well. No sign of anything coming from any vents in the tank, so I've been underneath with a torch and mirror and discovered a rubber grommet at each of the four top corners of the tank. There's about an inch of clearance from the van floor, so armed with a bent piece of wire I poked in the centre of the grommets and was rewarded with a spurt of water at each one I cleared. It seems the holes in the grommets are only a few mm diameter and easily get blocked with crud if you let the tank fill to maximum, which I am sometimes forced to do.
 I hope this is going to solve my problem.
Al.
bikeralw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on 14/7/2015, 16:59

Good that you have found the problem.

what I do is have a 27ltre wheeled water container,  put it under my waste water drain tap, open tap and the waste water goes straight into the wheeled container, making it easy to empty without moving the van, as waste water on a pitch is definitely a no no, so easy to see when nearly full, as I do empty every other day or so, depending how much water I have used, easy to gauge after a time. I like an easy life, especially when travelljng,
Best wishes,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on 14/7/2015, 18:42

I use exactly the same Margaret.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by john_l_k on 14/7/2015, 19:05

I've just been under my van and lowered the waste tank enough to loosen the screw top.
There were no vent holes already, so I drilled two 20mm holes, one either side.
After fixing it back up, I sent water down the shower waste until  could hear it dropping into the tank, then put the tap in and filled the sink  with water.
When I pulled the plug in the sink, the water flowed away nice and fast, and not a hint of a gurgle from the shower.
I repeated this, and still no gurgle.

So, looks like it was some sort of air-lock pushing the water up the shower waste.

Incidentally, I didn't even check around the top of the tank for breather holes/grommets, I went straight for the screw-cap. Maybe there are some up there, but just filled with crud too.
Anyway, I just need to make sure the tank doesn't overfill and leak over the top, but generally I empty regularly anyway.
john_l_k

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AtoMike on 18/4/2016, 23:24

Hi,
Can I modify the title line to:
Re: Gurgling shower waste on a '97 Amethyst on a Ford Transit LWB base.
The design, build and age are I suspect are very similar.  The drain problem certainly is.
Just returned from a very soggy Yorkshire (April 2016), and my wife refused to go away again until the washroom stops being a footbath.
Tried several dead ends, finally read the AS manual and noted that the shower drain was independant of the sink+handbasin drain.  Started to think along the lines of poor venting. Then did a search and found this thread, and in half an hour the problem was solved.  In my case the blocked grommet at the rear of the tank was completely removed with a blunt table knife (and will not be replaced).
My wife is happy now, as the tests produced no gurgles or soggy mats.
Thanks for the solution. Next time I have a problem I will search much earlier (why re-invent the wheel?).
Best wishes to anyone who reads this far.
P.S. For those who find the MH Service Point gratings difficult the line up, I have a short (4 foot) legnth of hose with a rubber tap adapter fitted to one end. When fairly close to the grateing, put the hose adaptor (which is a push fit) onto the waste waterdump tap and hey presto the grey water is directed with ease.
AtoMike
AtoMike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum