Just a bit of fun.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Just a bit of fun.

Post by Shuggiegreen on Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:07 pm

If money was no object which motorhome would you buy and why? it need not be an Auto Sleeper.
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Just a bit of fun.

Post by Quilter on Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:59 pm

I think, if money was really no object, then I would design my own from scratch, taking the best features from what we have seen and envied over the years.

The only snag would be that it would take such a long time to do that we'd be too old to enjoy it !
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:24 pm

Probably a Burstner

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen on Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:37 pm

Paulmold. Why a Burnister ?
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:53 pm

Just look quality fittings and workmanship but I've no actual experience of them.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tallboy on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:34 pm

If money wasn't a problem, I'd have to assume that time travel wasn't either. Armed with those assumptions I'd immediately order a Clubman GL again, its absolutely ideal for my needs, and the one I've got at the moment has served us very well. I'd specify the VW 2.5 TD engine- the turbo would be essential in modern traffic, although if money was abundantly available perhaps the V6 engine and auto gearbox. Of course, I'd need a glass rear window so that a rear wash/wipe could be fitted. Finally, I'd want extra drains in the shower tray- one isn't enough unless its parked absolutely level or leaning slightly to the right. Other than that, I would really struggle to improve on the Clubman, and I'd buy another without hesitation. Oh yeah, air conditioning would be nice, but that's definitely all.
Nice thought, but unfortunately I can't see it happening :-(

Rich
Tallboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '99 T4 Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:41 pm

Paulmold wrote:Probably a Burstner

We've just been to France with some German in-laws with a Burstner T-Star 710, about 5 years old. Apart from the Merc 5 cyl 270CDi engine (which is IMHO one of the best diesel engines of all time) I wasn't overly impressed with either the quality or layout of their van.

So there.  hugegrins

meanchris

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:45 pm

My own choice would be an AS Broadway EB, at the moment, this may change if/when I see something nicer.

If I could build my own, no expense spared, MH; it would be the Broadway EB with a monocoque bodyshell.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingrider8368 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:33 pm

With my limited experience of motorhomes, having only had the Clubman GL that we own now, I would go with Tallboy's ideas, I would like the more powerful engine and an auto box option, but with one thing added to his list.  Cruise Control, make that two things, Electric Windows.  Oh!! * Inappropriate Word *!! The list grows

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:41 am

Actually its not so much the money as having trouble identifying what to buy in a motorhome, looked at new Burstners the other week and while I liked the bed layout, the rest lacked functional longevity. Have yet to find a motorhome that ticks all the boxes. The few that Bertha misses make me think spending more dosh is not going to improve motorhoming for me. The only thing bertha misses is a bed that's not up a ladder which does not need making up and putting away!  confused3 Weighing that up against, uncomfortable seating, things like silly sized gas lockers and electronic management systems for engines which make for ridiculous faults. Alongside of being soo long you need to tow a smart car or similar to go into a town or even a supermarket car park. All put me off newer models out there so far..  uncertain
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 59
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:52 am

I saw a rather nice one a couple of years ago, built I believe by the owner of Machzone for his own use and you drove the Smart car right into the back..
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1991

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:22 pm

Machzones were good motorhomes built by Glenn Motorhomes of Nottingham who are still in existence

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:32 pm

I know Glenns very well, having bought my vehicle from them. I believe the Machzones were built on Humberside certainly not Nottingham.....
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1991

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Yes built in Hull by Glenn Senior. I read somewhere that they still build to order but not sure if that info is up to date.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy on Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Just called in today to view a couple of Autotrail Imala and Bailey Advance models.
Surprised how cheap and plasticky everything is on these modern vans. However, it was the impracticality of all of them that put us off.
One of them seemed quite user-friendly until we discovered that the table was in the wardrobe, which would be secreted behind the clothes, and was located in the end bathroom. rolleyes

If we could get a Broadway EB manufactured with decent cupboards above the cab, an good inset sink in the bathroom and with an electric/gas fire then we'd be well happy.

Either that or what seems like another perfect van with all the attributes of the above, but sadly with a measly 4 ' bed.
That's an Autotrail Tracker RS. If they just built it the same length as the EKS and with an extra 6" on the bed widths, we'd have one tomorrow.
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 64
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:06 pm

I really can't think of anything I would prefer to the Worcester we already have, I would certainly do a few mods to improve it though, some of which are minor and really would cost very little.

Refillable gas tank, just to free up the locker where the gas bottles are, 'strip hinge' on the door as the two flimsy ones it currently has WILL break at some point!
Fog lights, they just look pretty! Probably never use them. 
Better habitation door mechanism, the current one is a joke. I can now strip the door,take it apart, fix it in about five minutes...it has broken that often!
New horn ... the sprinter one sounds pathetic.
Microwave which is also a combi oven, not sure if that is possible with the power requirement though!
Ditch the crapice cooker and replace it with a better one that is not made of folded silver foil. I have spent hours modding mine so that it does not rattle now but I would still throw it in the skip!
New sound system, replaced the merc one with an alpine unit and find although it does everything except make the toast the sound is not as good as I hoped.
A tow bar and trailer for the Naylor TF ( it is an old style MGTF replica) - mind you I would have to buy the Naylor TF first!

A while ago I was looking round Arbutus RV in Nanaimo Canada, they have a big stock (see the website) but I really can't get excited about US type RV's, all just a bit over the top. One Sprinter based model I looked at was 24 feet long and had THREE TV's in it one was 26 inch! Fuel consumption was given as a generous 16mpg ( that is about 19mpg UK)

No sorry I think I will stick with what I have got, mind you if money was absolutely no object I did see a very nice Airbus A330 the other day.... I could use that to get to the superyacht in the Caribbean and to the Island in the Maldives......I might even buy Greece and invite everyone on here over to camp for free ( I will supply the food and the staff to empty your 'dunny' fill the fresh water etc.....
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:01 pm

I've been looking on French and German websites today, to see what models and prices are like.

Everything I looked at had a similar layout to our in-laws Burstner, with a garage under a fixed rear bed, dinette style seating and swivel captain's seats.
Considering that the Burstner is 7.1m compared with our <6m, the living space in it is not big enough for two to feel comfortable in our opinion. We much prefer the open plan of our Exec, and we'd be looking for something with opposing bench seats and a full sized fixed bed, as well as a good amount of external storage space.

Is there an AS with this layout and, preferably, a Merc base (that part's not a deal breaker)?

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:37 pm

I sometimes think i'd like the Legend auto sleeper model layout better than ours, but not seen one in as good condition as ours for sale with an automatic transmission. As for most others I am not than impressed with the appliances and mechanical designs along with electronics side of the newer vans.  confused3 i prefer things a bit more solidly built myself.  hugegrins
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 59
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN on Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:46 pm

Meanchris, AS Malvern is the closest, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There are very few coachbuilt MH using the Sprinter base.

The new Malvern is similar to my Gloucester but AS have spoilt the layout by fitting a full height Fridge Freezer and moving the wardrobe across to reduce worktop space. I would prefer the Gloucester/earlier Malvern layout but on the new Sprinter base, the 7 speed auto is a jem.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 48
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:56 pm

Has to be a modern (monocoque) version of the Legend for me, on either a Mk8 Transit or Merc Sprinter Chassis, probably the latter.

If I was continue my thoughts on downsizing to a panel van then only an IH would do as SWMBO doesnt like the wide opening side doors and IH are AFAIK that does a proper side habitation door

Interesting thread, we should get a few more responses yet

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:46 am

Must admit I have a bit of a liking for the Rapido A Class motorhomes, really don't understand why Auto Sleepers are not producing an A Class these days? especially when they are so popular in Europe, and a surpringly high number of Brits are driving them in Europe.

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:07 am

Before we bought the Worcester we looked at the A class rapido but were disappointed when we spent time with it and thought about how we would actually use it. Drove perfectly well though on the Mercedes chassis but the Fiat 'comfortmatic' was not at all smooth with a lot of lag so just didn't like it.

The way forward is probably going to be slide outs, great for on site but if you are using the van as a day van do they really work?
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham on Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:32 pm

If money was no object, for years I've had my eye on a new Carthago, or an N&B, or a Concorde Liner.... But I'd still want a Kingham for me 'n the mutt to reach the beaches

2009-Bessacarr E769    2012-Swift Bolero 712FB    2017-Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Kingham
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TrickyWoo on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:42 am

Bespoke to our own spec, poss by AS but we'd need to keep an eye on quality in view of  complaints on newer-built vehicles.. Transit mk7 (don't particularly like the mk8) with proper rust protection, with maybe auto, big turbo diesel engine, maybe 4wd?, all the cab toys incl aircon, high top van conversion as I'll take a panel van down pretty well anywhere I'd take a car (although we do like the space in the monocoques). 

Not sure on layout but must have 2x  6' single beds. Must be fully insulated and winterised with tank heaters in fresh and waste tanks.  2 big capacity leisure batteries and solar panels on roof, for off-grid trips. Diesel powrred heating system (eberspacher?) Carrier and back box for all the essentials we don't have room to carry inside. Towbar for when we want to trailer the dragon's Smart car.

I've got a dragon & I'm not afraid to use it!

TrickyWoo

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman GL
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:27 am

Whats up with the Mk8 Tranny TrickyWoo ?  havnt had a real inspection of one so not in a position to comment

Admire your choice on the Mk7 though its a lovely motor to drive and has car type performance.   Most the Ford front end of ours though is plastic so would have to be selective on the rustproofing hugegrins

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: