Cupboards over sink and rear window

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cupboards over sink and rear window

Post by meanchris on Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:10 pm

The cupboards above the sink in our '95 Exec are almost useless, the forward sloping doors encourage stuff to topple over and it then falls out when you open the cupboard door.

Why are the cupboards that (apparently silly) shape, has anyone remodelled the cupboards to improve them?

I'm thinking about removing the cupboards and replacing the narrow bottom section with a wider piece, to make the cupboards bigger, squarer and more useful for storage.
As they're covered in grey fabric along the underside I can't see that there'd be any problems.

Any suggestions?

meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Cupboards over sink and rear window

Post by Gromit on Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Fix a 3 or 4 inch high piece of 5mm thick acrylic sheet across the front.

Install a shelf so stuff isn't stacked too high and is far less likely to topple.

Find some plastic boxes which fit and store stuff in those.

Remove the cupboards and replace the narrow bottom section with a wider piece, to make the cupboards bigger. allthumbz

Have used all of the above on our van, except the last one, which is a beezer wheeze if you can make a neat job of it.

Dave
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:17 pm

I use small  baskets that just fit into the bottom, in these I keep containers for tea,coffee, chocolate. coffee-mate as backup Horlicks and two spice jars. salt and pepper pots and vinegar , they now do not fall out when door is opened, in the next one, two teapots with relevant cosies another container for tea, kitchen timer, small grater, box of bag clips, box of condiment sachets. all handy where they are needed.

I use Horlicks containers for tea,coffee etc take label off and you have a plain jar with a blue lid.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:32 pm

I've got it in my head to improve them now.  snigger

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:00 pm

On our Pollensa, which I think has the same curved door fronts, to those cupboards that had only one shelf I added a second, which created much more usable space.  I lined all shelves with throughout with anti-slip matting, fixed with double sided carpet tape, to stop stuff shifting around in transit. On the shelves in the cupboards above the sink which hold tins, jars etc I put a hook either side and inserted a length of curtain wire at the appropriate height to help hold the contents in place but allow them to be put in and taken out OK.  

Now things seldom fall out when we open the doors.
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:27 pm

I was going to put a wire, or pole that motor home outlets sell for shelves, but I couldn`t get either to work because of the doorstay., perhaps others doors have different fittings to mine?

In a side cupboard over the settee, my book cupboard, I have a strip of acrylic 4"high wedge in the front, stops the books falling out when door opened.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:23 pm

I have seen vans where the cupboard front has been brought forward a few inches to improve the depth, but do consider where the bathroom door opens

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:51 pm

roli wrote:I have seen vans where the cupboard front has been brought forward a few inches to improve the depth, but do consider where the bathroom door opens

Ha ha, yes, that could prove to be awkward, especially if you don't notice the problem until you're desperate for the loo.

My plan is just to extend the bottom panel of the cupboard unit until the doors are vertical.

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:43 am

daisy mae wrote:I was going to put a wire, or pole that motor home outlets sell for shelves, but I couldn`t get either to work because of the doorstay., perhaps others doors have different fittings to mine?

I cut a strip of bike inner tube just longer than the width of the cupboard, and then used drawing pins to fix the rubber band to the inside of the front returns. Fiddly; pins could rip the rubber so use a few each end; looks a bit Heath Robinson (which it is) - but it worked well, and kept things from falling out of those shallow rear cupboards on the Clubman.
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:31 pm

I just used some elastic across mine, using a carpet tack to each end so it was fairly taught, keeps bottles and so on in there without them falling out on you.  up!
m8form8

Male

Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:34 pm

m8form8 wrote:I just used some elastic across mine, using a carpet tack to each end so it was fairly taught, keeps bottles and so on in there without them falling out on you.  up!

That's exactly what I've done with the bottle shelf in the fridge. Got fed up with the milk/cider/rosé falling out when we opened the door, so two small tie wrap bases on each side with some 5mm elastic stretched between them, sorted.

I still have a yearning to modify the top cupboards though.  hugegrins

meanchris

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:16 am

Hi there,

Just a warning from someone who is more than 5'4" tall and hopefully before anyone starts modifying the bottom cupboards .

The reason the bottom cupboards above the sink, cooker and fridge on our Duetto are "cut in at an angle" is simply to stop people taller than 5'4" from banging their heads off them whenever they look in a pan, help to prepare food or (God forbid!) help with the washing up!

For me (and other people over 5'4") the top cupboard doors can also be lethal if left open on their "lollipop" hinges because they are at an ideal height to tear open the scalp of the unwary!

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:37 am

On our van they could be deeper but you'd bang your head on them as you say Dutto.  up!
Meanchris
I've also done the same to a side cupboard having dismantled the middle shelf elastic across half way up allows us to keep our cereal boxes upright and vital reserve stocks of essential liquids ready for chilling behind them.  It stop's things falling on you when opened and giving you a headache, however you can still get a headache in the morning once those liquids have been processed the night before!  hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
m8form8

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris on Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:08 pm

I tried the elastic method but it sags after a while. Then last year I saw either a Executive or Clubman that was using a length of rubber webbing and tried it much better - wider and firmer but with  flexible enough to get items in and out.
They had also added a narrow shelf to the edge of the pelmet and slightly wider than the base of the cupboard. I took a picture of it and will post it if I can find it. As I will with pictures of the webbing.
Louise
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doris on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Have taken some pics plus the one of the shelf. The shelf would only be useable when parked up. I have some with elastic if anybody would like to see them.

Louise

Sorry link is not working will try again later on.

I think it is OK now.

Last edited by Doris on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:24 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Link not working)
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1992

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chocolate Daisy on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:52 pm

Our cupboards have two tiny squares of wood with notches cut in, glued to each side ( inside) which a thin length of dowlling fits in, lifts out easily. Then I use a clear plastic boxes for smaller items, salt pot, oxo cubes and such. We also have a shelf inside. It all workers well. Nothing falls out or spills.
Chocolate Daisy

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:58 pm

I wonder if the doors opened down rather than up on ours if they would b more user friendly?  confused3
m8form8

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chocolate Daisy on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:13 pm

Leathal, I would think, if they got left open I would defiantly knock my head on it, but maybe that's just me, any chance to be clumsy and I will take it!
Also you would have to reach over the door to get things out.
Chocolate Daisy

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:35 pm

Umm your probably right  hugegrins
m8form8

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BettyStogs on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:51 pm

I use the clear plastic trays that the supermarkets sell tomatoes in - they fit a treat & are see through as well
BettyStogs

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum