Has Anyone Fitted A Drop Down Flap ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has Anyone Fitted A Drop Down Flap ?

Post by daisy mae on Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:48 pm

I am thinking of fitting a drop down extension to the fridge worktop, can buy the fittings but will the side of the fridge be strong enough without taking the fridge out and putting supports at the back of the brackets.?  if not I will not bother, cannot take the fridge out myself, don`t know what I am doing there.

It will only be used for light weight things for more work top room.AS can supply with the shelve/ extension but is in white only, which is what they are using now,  they haven`t any matching worktop for my van, that is not a problem as I have sorted that if it can be done easily. by me.

Thanks for any help.
Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has Anyone Fitted A Drop Down Flap ?

Post by Dutto on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:07 pm

Margaret,

Most of the woodwork in "Petal" is built like the proverbial "brick outhouse" so personally I would have no fear that part of it was too flimsy.

Also, properly designed, the support for your extension will be "in sheer" which means that the material to which the support is attached can be pretty thin anyway and still support a significant weight.

My only cautionary notes are:

1.  Make sure that the support attached to the side of the fridge is very secure.  (Screw AND glue recommended.)

2.  Always remember your own words "It will only be used for light weight things ..."

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Hi Margaret

I think it is feasible, but if it were me I would want to strengthen the fixing a bit rather than rely on just the screws, which might pull out if something heavy was placed on the table.

If there is a lip from the worktop over the side of the fridge housing I think I might fix a little bit of wood to the underside, to hold the tops of the brackets hard against the side. This would prevent torsional forces from tearing it off the wall.

I would ask Mark Burdett for his opinion. He's very accommodating and will almost certainly be able to advise. My feeling is that screws alone might not fix it securely enough as the wood is deliberately lightweight and not very dense.

Hope this helps

Dave

Edited - changed my mind. Simpler solution.
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:18 pm

I have a drop down flap in my Fiat Ducato Harmony. It has a piano hinge at one end and rests on either the work top or the edge of the sink depending if up or down, this is directly over the fridge. I have photographs posted on here somewhere. It works a treat
redturner37

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:12 pm

Thanks Paul for those links, but I don`t want the work top extension that side, it is the other side of fridge cabinet over the seat, like AS do theirs, the brackets are the one they use, lift up top ,to put down lift up higher and it folds back down. don`t want to impede the doorway,

Thanks for the suggestions anyway,
Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:18 pm

Dutto wrote:Margaret,

Most of the woodwork in "Petal" is built like the proverbial "brick outhouse" so personally I would have no fear that part of it was too flimsy.

Also, properly designed, the support for your extension will be "in sheer" which means that the material to which the support is attached can be pretty thin anyway and still support a significant weight.

My only cautionary notes are:

1.  Make sure that the support attached to the side of the fridge is very secure.  (Screw AND glue recommended.)

2.  Always remember your own words "It will only be used for light weight things ..."

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian
Thanks Ian,

What glue would you recommend please,?

I will also have a word with AS , as wellI  don`t want to have problems I don`t need to, see if the fridge cabinet will take  the brackets plus top. although when I spoke the other day they could supply me with the white shelf. ahead of myself there if they said they could supply the worktop it must be feasible. think_smiley_46

Thanks guys. helpful as always.
Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Margaret,

I love Araldite Rapide, but it can be a problem removing the excess if you aren't quick.

An alternative would be Evostik External Wood Glue.  It dries fairly quickly and whilst wet it cleans off very easily with a damp rag.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:18 pm

Many thanks Ian, I do have No Nails in my tool box. that is ok with wood I know, wood and metal may be a different glue. I do have some Evostik external wood glue down the shed now I come to think about it.

Thanks again.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum