Yellowing plastic...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yellowing plastic...

Post by groundhog on Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:23 pm

The van looks gleaming white, just washed it again but the whole thing is ruined because the round vents and the ehu cover are now really yellow and will have to be replaced. Should this really happen after just three years.

Strange thing is the fridge vents, water inlet cover show no yellowing at all.

I have asked A/S their opinion but wonder are the others just the cheapest A/S could find?
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Yellowing plastic...

Post by daisy mae on Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:59 pm

Probably I would have thought, no relation at all, but two neighbours have those cheap white plastic front doors, and the middle is now yellow, must be a different plastic to the better ones.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:05 pm

Quite a lot of expert advice about removing it, preventing it happening and why it happens on Google: see  " yellowing in plastics" .
Quilter

Female

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:48 am

The yellowing is due to the UV attacking the colour pigment of the 'raw' unpainted or self-coloured plastic, why not pull them out, thoroughly clean them, spray with plastic primer then spray with 'appliance-white'.
Halfords sell spray-cans of this stuff.
Been working with plastics for many years so have a rough idea, the plastic primer is vital as if not used, the paint will flake off after a while, the PLASTIC primer, acts a bit like cellulose thinners, it slightly melts or softens the surface & whilst still 'soft' the paint is applied, the paint is then bonded to the plastic, it will then never fade or come off.

Note: PLASTIC primer,not ordinary primer.

The reason for some yellowing & others not is  because different manufactures use different grades of plastics. which are more or less UV tolerant.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fenderbender on Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:17 pm

I had double glazing fitted about 20 years ago but about 5 years ago the outside sills started to go a horrible orangy yellow colour, i contacted the original instalers and they sent a guy to have a look,he went to his van and got a plasic container with a clear liquid and a cloth,he just wiped it on and it came up brilliant white it was amazing, unfortunately he would'nt tell me what it was and iv'e never been able to find out, the sills are still white. Maybe there are double glazing fitters out there who could let us into the secret.?

Dave
fenderbender

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum