Bathroom

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bathroom

Post by Chocolate Daisy on Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Hi all,
Just a quick question. In my pollensa bathroom there was some matting like poolside stuff, red on top and black on the underside, the shower tray was all scratched, and in my wisdom I decided it was because of this mat. I removed it but now I am thinking maybe this wasn't the case. Is this matting used by  auto-sleeper? Anyone else have a problem with it. I still have it so could put it back if it is not what has scratched the plastic.
Chocolate Daisy

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bathroom

Post by Cymro on Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:27 pm

In the current vehicles, Autosleeper us a soft, flexible, thin mesh-like mat to cover the floor of the loo and shower. Suggest you contact them and buy a yard or two. Cut to size.

Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chocolate Daisy on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:14 pm

Thanks Cymro, so maybe it was scratching the floor it is quite tough, it bends but isn't soft, will look into buying some from Autosleeper.
Chocolate Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:45 pm

Yes it  Auto-sleepers ,I have that matting and it hasn`t scratched my shower tray, and after eleven years don`t think it will do now.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:04 pm

We have exactly the same thick plastic semi-flexible decking material. The benefit it has over softer mat materials is that it spreads the weight load more evenly when standing in the bathroom, rather than bearing directly on the plastic shower tray. 

I would think a possible cause of scratching might be if sand or grit got underneath the tray; one of my regular jobs is to lift it out and give the tray a good swill. I would imagine the shower tray would be MORE likely to get scratched without this material in place though; we never shower in the van but we do use the loo and sink regularly, often wearing various forms of footwear.

If I could source this material I'd buy a square to take into site showers with me, as the floor area in the cubicle beside the shower where you dry yourself often ends up wetter than the shower tray by the time I've splashed over my fat body!

cheers
Roger

PS And yes, I do swab/squeegee the cubicle floor afterwards!
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chocolate Daisy on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks Daisy Mae, that should save me some money and that's always a good thing:smile!:
Chocolate Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chocolate Daisy on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:31 pm

Well Roger I am glad to hear that you leave things tidy. If I ever find this matting any where I will let you know.
 You are probably right about scratches I always swill too, it was scratched when we picked it up honest.
So does anyone know how to clean and make the scratches go away or look a bit better. At the moment I try not to look at them!!
Mind there area few worn bits and bobs as exspected all adds to the character.
Chocolate Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue68 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:39 pm

Our plastic bath was cleaned with brasso

Sue68

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:45 am

I have Fenwicks window scratch remover, ( acrylic windows, ) it works a treat, cannot see why it would not work on your shower tray, don`t rub too hard, using a circular motion moving over the area, do not press to hard in one spot, may have to go over more than once. then buff using a soft cotton cloth.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chocolate Daisy on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:32 am

Will test with Brasso today, if it doesn't work will get some fenwicks later. Thanks for your ideas.
Chocolate Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:18 am

Our Broadway (2014 model) came with grey foam rubber matting of the sort that you can get off the roll from any camping shop, ironmonger or China shop. We are not keen on it, from previous experience, partly because it sticks to bare feet and partly because it is not closed cell foam and takes forever to dry when wet.

We have replaced it with 2 pieces of thin vinyl floor covering cut to size. These are removed when we shower but do stop scratches from grit etc when we walk in the room.

We've never had a van with what we consider to be the perfect floor covering but we are not able to either define or find anything perfect either !
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:22 am

The matting on the floor of the 2015 Nuevo's bathroom is called Friedola (Made in Germany)
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:44 am

Quilter,

You have reminded me, when I did the vinyl wood effect flooring in habitation , I cut a piece to fit in the shower tray on top of the red/black matting, easily wiped clean, and to take out when showering, so it drains better, yes I do use my shower, prefer my own, may not be so roomy as site showers but other benefits exceed that.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:58 pm

My Fiat Ducato Harmony shower room was fitted with a specially made and bound piece of carpet to match the rest of the van. However, I left a tap dripping and it got soaked so I removed it and cut a replacement out of an old bath mat with suckers underneath, and pretty pictures of fish and fitted that. Good result. I dont know of anything that will remove scratches, they will only hide them.......The original mat is now dry and under the pedals..
redturner37

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Fenwicks have removed the scratches on my hab windows, it is for acrylic/ plastic, on the very small containerit says  Windowize, Scratch Remover ,does have good reviews.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chocolate Daisy on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:54 pm

Well I tried the  Brasso with some success, it took the black marks off, but, I think the floor is too damaged. Now the scuffs look yellow where the top coating has worn away, there is a mark for each of the raised bumps on the black side of the mat,
Chocolate Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:01 pm

In our last van we had a mock-wooden duckboard in the shower - sort of compressed sawdust type material. Apart from the fact that it went very smelly, very fast, it too left black marks on the shower floor where each of the feet scratched. It wasn' t there for very long either as we consigned it to the loft at home after only one trip.
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:30 am

Please do not use brasso or Tcut.  These are both petrochemical based products and will stain you material. 

With things like GRP shower trays or sink basins the scratches are in the "gel" coat. This is likely to be very thick in comparison to say automotive paint.

So polishing it is very easy. You could go and buy all sorts of miracle remedy's or just use plain automotive car polish. You will easily be able to remove all scratches even quite deep ones. 

If you like I will look around and find a suitable polish that is best for this application.

Top tip when polishing is to use a garden mist sprayer like you might use on your house plants. Mist the surface before you polish and this will lubricate and help the polish break down and therefore really get it working .

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chocolate Daisy on Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:36 pm

Thanks, charliefarlie, good to know I am on the right track, after a bit of research I used very fine wire wool really worrying as it seemed so harsh, then peek metal polish. The yellow from the brasso has gone along with the worst of the scratches and black marks.  Looks quite good now, I am thinking of using glim ( think that's how it's spelt, don't want to go out to the garage to look), car wax to finish it off now. I have been doing it bit by bit so it's taken a few days.
Chocolate Daisy

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum