The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadway caravan club site advice needed

+4
rose49f
cyclo
Gromit
chudders
8 posters

Go down

Broadway caravan club site advice needed  Empty Broadway caravan club site advice needed

Post by chudders Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:31 pm

Booked to go to the above site shortly. Never been there before, any comments about best part of site to select if possible. Would like to use sat dish on roof.
Any recommendations of what to do, I believe Broadway town is not too distant for walking to. Any buses nearby for other places.
We are going from South West, M5 and I believe leaving M5 at Tewkesbury junction ( cant remember what number) and have no idea what roads are like from M5
any comments appreciated.
Thanks Dave
chudders
chudders

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold FB
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Broadway caravan club site advice needed  Empty Re: Broadway caravan club site advice needed

Post by Gromit Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Hi Dave

No problem with the roads. We stopped using bullock carts round here  a long time ago. lol4

There isn't much at Broadway. Pretty little town, but very expensive due to its popularity as a tourist magnet. One stroll up the main street and back to the caravan site, and that's yer lot! It's very close to Willersey, but that's about all to recommend it unless you have a car. I don't know about buses, but there's sure to be one into Cheltenham and/or Gloucester. Either would make quite a decent day out with a bit of retail therapy thrown in!

Am I right in thinking you are going to Autosleepers for a water inlet fitting? If that's your primary reason for visiting us, I'm tempted to suggest you stay at Tewkesbury instead. It's only 18 miles from Tewkesbury to Willersey, and there's loads of happy mooching on offer in Tewks. It's the town of a thousand alleys (well, a lot anyway) and still has some very interesting old buildings and shops. The Abbey is well worth a visit, and all within a 5 minute walk from the campsite. There's quite a big Marquis dealership there too, if you fancy a look around the vans, and if you have a dog it's absolutely perfect for him. At least three of the pubs are dog friendly too, and the shepherds pie at the Nottingham Arms is one of life's little pleasures. The beer is excellent too.

Just a thought. The Caravan Club don't get snotty about changing one site booking for another, as long as it's not too imminent.

Hope this helps. Tewkesbury was one of our favourite weekend sites when we were in the day job.

Dave

P.S. The only road to be at all concerned about is Collin Lane - the last stretch as you go into Willersey. It's no problem, but as you get within half a mile there's a sharp corner just before a slightly hump backed bridge that might catch you out if it's wet and slippery. Beware of the tiny roundabout as you turn left down Badsey Lane to the factory. The locals treat it with supreme contempt, so give them priority whether they deserve it or not!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Broadway caravan club site advice needed  Empty Re: Broadway caravan club site advice needed

Post by chudders Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:47 pm

Thanks for the above. Yes I am visiting A-S for another water filler to be installed. I have heard Tewkebury is a nice site and we may well go there for a few days after Broadway iff all works out OK
and assuming we can get in there
Thanks, Dave
PS we still use bullock carts down here at the sharp end in Cornwall.

Last edited by chudders on Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
chudders
chudders

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Cirencester Park is another good one if Tewkesbury is full. Cirencester is a huge site, and at this time of year with the grass pitches in use you are almost sure to get in.

I think we prefer Cirencester even to Tewkesbury. It's a 10 minute walk, and if you plan to go there send me a PM and I'll tell you the secret route to a stunning walk into town down the Bathurst Estate front drive. (It's all quite permitted and above board, but kept a bit quiet because the local college students are banned due to all the litter they drop.)

Lovely town, and one of the best old fashioned ironmongers for miles around. Still sells nuts, bolts and nails in paper bags.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Broadway caravan club site advice needed  Empty Re: Broadway Caravan Club Site Advice

Post by cyclo Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:10 pm

I spent a few days there earlier this year and the end of last year and found plenty to do but I like cycling and walking. If you do like walking, the walk to Broadway Tower

is good but uphill to get there. I went by bus to Stratford and Cheltenham with no problems. The TV reception by satellite was good but mobile reception was poor, not really

a problem but I couldn't access the net and my wife worries when I am out cycling on my own. I found Mark at AS service centre very helpful and I am sure you will enjoy your stay.

David
cyclo
cyclo

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EKTBLP
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by chudders Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:21 pm

Thanks for every ones comments, really useful advice
Thanks very much
chudders
chudders

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:56 pm

The A46 from the M5 to Evesham can get VERY busy at rush hour (watch out for a mobile speed van 1/4 mile off the M5 over a railway bridge. 30mph and you're going downhill. There is a campsite at Croft Farm Water Park 1 mile north of Tewkesbury if you're into water. Google it. Enjoy your stay wherever you end up
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:20 pm

Gromit wrote:Cirencester Park is another good one if Tewkesbury is full. Cirencester is a huge site, and at this time of year with the grass pitches in use you are almost sure to get in.

I think we prefer Cirencester even to Tewkesbury. It's a 10 minute walk, and if you plan to go there send me a PM and I'll tell you the secret route to a stunning walk into town down the Bathurst Estate front drive. (It's all quite permitted and above board, but kept a bit quiet because the local college students are banned due to all the litter they drop.)

Lovely town, and one of the best old fashioned ironmongers for miles around. Still sells nuts, bolts and nails in paper bags.

Dave

Hi Gromit, are you open to pm's from every forum reader interested in that secret route? biggrin

Cirencester Park is certainly our favourite CC site, if only for the wondrous lanes around which are heaven to cycle on.
We were supposed to be going there again last week but I changed my mind and opted for Peachley touring park as we'd never done the Worcester area.
We might well do Broadway for 1 night soon on the way to Napton marina.
By the way, Tewkesbury is our no.2 fave.
nuevoboy.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:34 pm

It's not really a secret Nuevoboy, but best not advertised too widely or the estate wardens may decide to enforce the ban which they currently ignore in the case of obviously mature and sensible people. The ban is in place primarily for when they want to use it against the litter dropping students.

If you turn left out of the campsite and bear diagonally right after the cattle grid, then go just to the right of the tennis courts, you have only to climb the gate (if it's locked, which it usually isn't) and you can walk quite "legally" down the Bathurst Estate drive into town.

The route past the tennis courts and over the gate is obviously well used, but officially off limits, hence the reluctance to shout too loudly about it. I doubt if this forum is likely to let the cat out of the bag however, but don't mention it to the CC site wardens as they are supposed to discourage its use!

Cheers

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:11 pm

Oops, it was the CC warden who told me how to get to it last year. hugegrins confused3

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy Motorhomers Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:42 pm

We stayed at Broadway a few weeks ago, and we thoroughly enjoyed it, make sure you take a look at the first caravan ever built, it is stored in the Goods Shed. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There is a fish & chip van comes onto the site, sorry can't remember what day it was, it is quite expensive fish & chips were £7.00, fish alone was over £5. The railway is being reinstated close to the site, not sure when it will be finished, but it should make getting to other places easier.
Happy Motorhomers

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold EB
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:15 am

Thanks for the tip Gromit.
I think we've just done the standard walk across the estate, skirting the cricket pitch. I'll definitely look out for the tennis court route next time though.
I might even get lost a bit and be able to photograph the huge yew trees from the inside. snigger

nuevoboy.

By the way, the latte in Coffee # 1 is the best I've ever tasted and the little shop just a little way up (but opposite) from there is actually a shop selling homemade chocolates, but nuevogirl says their ice cream is the best ever!
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by ssjohnl Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:51 pm

The buses stop right outside the site if you put your hand out - it's not an official stop.
There are no buses on a Sunday.
Check the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] services 21 and 24.
Make sure you stand on the correct side of the road - buses go both ways and it's not obvious which side is correct - ask the warden.
Good £4.99 fish and chips at Foxy Browns till abt 4.30 pm Mon to Fri. On left through arcade as you walk from site into Broadway. 
Wood fired pizza van visits on Mondays I think.
John
ssjohnl
ssjohnl

Male

Auto-Sleeper : SYMBOL

Back to top Go down

Post by chudders Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:57 pm

Thanks for the above info and particularly buses. I was going to ask about buses to Evesham particulary but you have answered my question regarding buses outside the site
Thanks, dave
chudders
chudders

Male

Back to top Go down