The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fresh water filler

+11
groundhog
padraigpost
Jaytee
Askit
Quilter
ricknsue
chudders
Gromit
daisy mae
roli
marydot
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fresh water filler - Page 2 Empty Re: Fresh water filler

Post by Gromit Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:51 am

Hi Quilter

Your question is probably aimed at me too, so I'll reply as well.

It's the faffing around that annoys me. The Whale is a caravan fitting for when there is no internal tank. Caravanners have no choice but to mess around with large containers balanced on trolleys, and dangly pumps that must not be allowed to drop in the dirt. We were mightily glad to see the back of all that when we changed from a caravan to a motorhome, and have no wish to go back to it.

Without wishing to wind you up (well, not much anyway hugegrins) you shot down your own argument when you said (in reference to a large water container), " Why ? We don' t have one. Just a bucket. We could carry a watering can as well but a bucket serves several other purposes and saves space over bucket and watering can."

Our watering can is essentially a bucket with a spout!! You and I both have to make about the same number of journeys to the tap so no gain or loss there, but when you get back to the van you have to fiddle with your pump and suck the water out of your bucket - which has to be far more faff than simply pouring the water into the tank with the convenient spout fitted to my "bucket"! allthumbz

As for a bucket serving other purposes, we have a fold-flat one from a yacht chandler and have used it only once in five years, so it has been slung out of the van.

It's precisely as several have said already - each person should go with what suits them, but it is always interesting to hear other viewpoints in case they appeal more, or offer suggestions that have not been considered.

So far my "bucket-with-a-spout" will do nicely, but who knows if I'll change my mind in the future?

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by Gromit on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by chudders Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:19 am

Blimey, did not realize the strength of feeling regarding either system.
At the moment I have no preference and just wanted the choice which I understand A-S now give that choice (or both) on new vans.
Sorry if I stirred things up, had no wish to be controversial.

Askit, ref your comment Broadway or the pub, I suppose the answer is both.

regards, Dave
chudders
chudders

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold FB
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:24 am

We' ll agree to disagree Dave !  I see the Whale system as a quick and painless system to fill the tank using either a hose from the tap or a water container( which can be a jerry can, Aquaroll, bucket or watering can....) . No keys or lock to fiddle with, no need to even be there when filling by hose, no lifting of said watering can to the inlet and so on.  

Others see it differently. What chiefly concerns me is that newbies will not even be given the chance to try a faster more efficient way to fill their internal tank if they are put off by negative posts - sometimes from people who have failed because they did not understand how to work the pump !

I was trying to think, after the earlier post, if we have a " travel style". I don' t think we do: each trip is different, be it longer, shorter, on Aires, CLs or campsites. We are minimalist campers though and this is why we are pleased we don' t have to take the watering can as well as the bucket and only have a hose that folds to the size of a paperback book and a pump the size of a big box of matches.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:53 am

Quilter wrote:each trip is different, be it longer, shorter, on Aires, CLs or campsites.
Each person is different too - and thank goodness for that! content

I've grizzled quite a bit about Autosleepers silly penny-pinching economies on their latest vans, but in this case they have provided both options so nobody can complain.

Always interesting to wrangle with others about ways to do things. That's how to learn, and sort out the one that's best for you! biggrin

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:23 pm

Quilter wrote:Askit: I have to ask as it niggles otherwise !

I have no beef about your preference for one system over another but what is it about the Whale system that does not suit your way of travelling ?

No problem Quilter. Yes, wot he said smile!

I'm happy to fill up using a plastic hose on my arrival at a site and top up as required with a 5l plastic watering can. I presume most folk have to carry something like it anyway to fill the toilet flush tank? We don't use the on board shower, and keep a separate supply of several litres of drinking water, so a full tank can last us in excess of 4 days. We've come straight to motorhoming from over 40 years of tent camping so just the few visits to the water tap with a can is almost a luxury.  TBH I don't see the advantage of the long hose Whale filler over a plastic hose, residual water has to be drained from both before coiling up and putting away. The smaller pump (if yours is the size of a large matchbox, I must have got the "Gulliver" version rolleyes ) would require a water carrier or a jerry can and trolley arrangement.  With space at a premium it just seem unnecessary when we are managing fine without the extra gubbins. I can see why it is an attractive option for some, it's just not for us right now.
Askit
Askit
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Fresh water filler - Page 2 Empty AS water filling system

Post by Sparky7 Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:44 pm

Further to my earlier post on the time it takes to use this system to fill the tank, and the corresponding aggravation for others waiting to use the supply tap (eg on aires in France), I recently had a conventional system fitted by AS at Willersley.   It cost £190.00, but has been well worth it.   I have a 2012 Nuevo II and as the conventional system is now being fitted alongside the daft system, I asked if AS would be prepared to offer a reduction in cost.   They were not.   However, if you go to eg. France or other places which do not have many taps all over the place, then just don't hesitate.   As did a nice, neat job by the way.
Sparky7
Sparky7

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo II

Back to top Go down

Post by chudders Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:40 pm

As I mentioned I also had the second filler installed and a nice neat job was done. I paid the same as above. I may still use the 'Whale system as well but all I wanted was a choice. I have no particular beef with either system.
Dave
chudders
chudders

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold FB
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:22 pm

Gromit wrote:Hi Hog

We have both, but I don't think we'll ever use the Whale pumping system. (Wish I had thought in time to ask A/S not to fit it.)

Don't beat yourself up.  I was offered the Fiamma at build stage and said yes please - then they came back and said that it had to be as well as the Whale so I said no thank you because I did not want to lose locker space for extra filler hoses.  Pleased that I did because, unlike so many folk, I am VERY HAPPY with the Whale.  And I know that my water is filtered so i won't be putting any chunks of debris through the difficult to get at water pump in the tank.  Oh, by the way, my tank has a large cap on the base (at least 6 inches diameter) so if my pump does go I reckon that I can access it through the cap. Might neeed some sealant to close the cap up again securely, though - so I have not tested the access.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:34 pm

Gromit wrote:With the Whale system you need first of all to carry a large water container. (In a Nuevo - where to store it?) Then you have to go and fill it, using the trolley (more storage problems) unless you are built like a brick outhouse! Get the pump out, immerse it in the water and plug into the side of the van - very carefully or it won't work properly. Go inside and firtle around with the control panel to switch to the external pump. When finished, go inside again to switch back to the internal pump. Disconnect the external pump and try to get all the water out. Empty what's left in the large container. Stow away the pump and the container, and possibly the trolley.

Have I forgotten anything?
May I correct your apparent misconceptions?
1.  You don't need to carry a large water container - they give you a hose to attach to a tap.
2.  If you do use a container and the pump it is not a faff to connect it - it just plugs in - and very simply
3.  You do not have to go inside and switch to external pump - you can choose to have both pumps energised all the time.
4.  So neither do you have to go inside to switch back to internal pump.
5.  No trolley to stow as no large container. (where do you stow your watering can?)
6.  You forgot one thing - if you drive to the water point then you do have to switch the control panel on once you have stopped the engine, otherwise you won't get any water in (and that applies when using a container as well.

Last year I did top up once using the external pump (mainly to try it out).  I used my bucket (having carefully cleaned it first) and was amazed how quickly the water was pumped in.  I was also amazed at how many 4 pint milk containers were necessary to fill the toilet tank.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2