Carrying and securing bikes.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Carrying and securing bikes.

Post by Charliefarlie on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:06 pm

Bought our van last week and are booked to go south this week on Thursday. We are brand new (wet behind the ears !) so would like some advice on how the rear rack works. Only thing I know is that it folds down. So how exactly do I secure the bike ? Its just one bike . Also how do we lock a bike on so as to hopefully stop thieves from stealing it ? When out and about I would lock my bike inside but its while parked up on site or while in say a service area ? My bike is quite an expensive Specialzed and I dont want to loose it !

The rack.

Thanks !
Charliefarlie

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Carrying and securing bikes.

Post by Paulmold on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Take a look at the Fiamma bike rack catalogue  for securing straps. If you study the photo you posted you can see the clamp on the top rail which you use to hold the top of the bike frame. For security a good quality bike lock around the frame and perhaps a cable alarm would be useful.

http://www.fiammastore.com/Carry-Bike-Accessories/?sortmethod=name&page=3

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Carrying & securing bikes

Post by cyclo on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:58 pm

As Paul pointed out the arm clamped to the top of the rack should be fixed to the top tube of the bike. In the track for the wheels there should be two

clamps which have straps in to tighten up to the wheels. I use small pieces of pipe lagging between the spokes and under the strap to protect

the rims and reduce movement of the wheel in the track if you have narrow tyres. I use a lock which also incorporates an alarm, it is quite long with

plastic covered wire. It is long enough to thread through the wheels, bike frame & rack it therefore stops someone taking the wheels and leaving the rest.

I bought the lock from Halfords but I have had it for a number of years and not sure if they still sell them. I will have a look and see if I can find who sells

them now.

David
cyclo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclo on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:26 pm

I have found the product advertised by a company lockalarm.com

There is also a video for the "Cable Lock Alarm" on You Tube

I have seen one advertised in the UK not too long ago but haven't

found it so far it was approx £20, another reason I like it is the flashing

red led which is an added deterrent. Paul is an ace at finding things on the

net so perhaps he will be able to find it.

David
cyclo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:59 pm

Can't find what David mentions but if you search 'cable lock alarm' on Ebay you get quite a choice.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclo on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:37 pm

You are correct Paul, item number 151714694636, it also shows against another supplier but at £999.99. A touch expensive I

think it should probably be £19.99.

David
cyclo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:58 pm

When sellers put prices such as £999.99 it means they haven't any stock but to keep the EBay listing they put a silly price on.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:36 pm

Hi there,

We hang over £1,000 worth of bikes on the back of "Petal" every time we go somewhere for more than a few days so we are pretty conscious of the possibility of theft.

The first line of protection is a cover!  What they can't see they won't steal!  We use a Fiamma bike cover like this one.

http://www.leisureoutlet.com/caravans-and-motorhomes/Carry-Bike-Accessories/Fiamma-Carry-Bike-Bicycle-Cover.html

It is fiddly to put on and take off (note the lady is up a ladder - we don't have one!!) but it keeps the bikes clean and dry; and hidden from view!

When we are on the move (and therefore likely to leave the van and bikes unattended) we use the same locks on the bikes that we use at home.

i.e. One keyed "Masterlock" goes around the bike rack and through the frames of both bikes. One of these ....

http://www.lockout-lock.com/masterlock-8115eurdps-armoured-locking-cable?gclid=CMrm_NSfpMYCFYYfwwodNFIAmg

Two combination locks go around the bike rack and through the front wheel of one bike and the back wheel & frame of the other bike.  Two of these ....

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/lights-locks/locks/bikehut-armoured-resettable-combination-bike-lock-90cm

The pedals are held steady using bungee cords and they also act as something that a potential thief has to fiddle with before the bikes can be removed.

Finally, the waterproof cover is held close to the bikes with a combination of cord and bungee cords to stop it flapping about and annoying me!!

This is probably OTT for security but the chances of us not noticing that someone is trying to steal the bikes whilst we are inside is zero and if thieves manage to defeat all these locks etc and escape detection whilst we are away then we will be grateful that they didn't just steal the van. up!

Hope this helps.allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:42 pm

Dutto: underneath your bike cover why not secure one end of a cheap rape alarm to somewhere on a bike and the other end of the rape alarm to the bike rack or to part of the cover. If thieves do try to lift a bike off the rack then they will pull the pin out of the alarm and it will go off. From experience it will certainly alert you if you are in the van ( even asleep ) and, if you are not in the van, should make passers by look look to see what is going on.

What you do have to remember is to uncouple everything before you take the bikes off the rack.
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi there,

It's worth considering but I have one of these fitted to my quad-bike ....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/nikkai-easy-fit-car-alarm-120db-siren-a78jq

Last Friday, visiting a mate in Boston Hospital, I was in a position to sit alongside my mate's bed and at the same time keep an eye on the quad-bike in the car park; from eight storeys up!

I therefore couldn't do anything as I watched a 10 year old kid mess with the switches on the quad and then climb aboard.  When his backside touched the seat the alarm went off and the kid jumped off like a scalded cat; BUT not one person (including the brat's father) turned a hair!

I reckon that if thieves have the brass doodads to lift something in full public view when we aren't there, then an alarm probably won't deter them.

With regard to the kid last Friday, when the alarm stopped on the quad (after 30 seconds) he transferred his attention to a motorbike parked nearby and climbed onboard.  Unfortunately, despite my prayers, the bike didn't fall over and crush him. Whistle1 Whistle1

Oh, and whilst all this was going on his doting father just stayed in the queue to pay his parking fee and didn't react at all! tap_fingers tap_fingers

Never has the phrase "I blame the parents." been more appropriate. allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclo on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:49 pm

I agree with what you are saying re alarms, the reason I use one is because I had a bike stolen which was locked to the grab handle on the caravan

and the lock was bolt cropped bike stolen and we never heard a thing. Not sure I would want to confront someone if they were disturbed but at least

it gives me some peace of mind. I was going to use a personal attack alarm as an extra deterrent.

David
cyclo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit on Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:41 pm

Dutto wrote:
With regard to the kid last Friday, when the alarm stopped on the quad (after 30 seconds) he transferred his attention to a motorbike parked nearby and climbed onboard.  Unfortunately, despite my prayers, the bike didn't fall over and crush him. Whistle1 Whistle1
I would never suggest using this on rats and mice - far too inhumane, but a dab on the seat of the quad bike could have proved hilarious!! lol4

http://www.pestcontroldirect.co.uk/acatalog/Tack_Tick_Rat___Mouse_Glue_Tube.html

Dave
Gromit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by petern on Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:28 pm

"Time Out" has recently suggested that a good deterrent to bike theft would be to affix an irremoveable sticker saying "I took part in the Naked Bike Ride"! Of course, this might also deter the proud owner of the bike from ever using it!!

petern
petern

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rapport

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:26 pm

We had two bikes stolen last February when we left them for the morning, locked securely (4 good bike locks) either side of a tree in the compound of McDonalds in La Línea.

They were old, battered, very uncool Raleigh Shoppers but they must have been attractive to someone. The McDonalds guard did not see anything happen and we had asked him if we could leave the bikes there while wee visited Gib.

The police recovered them next day, minus one saddle and with a cut brake cable.

Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:39 pm

I like the suggestions but one of the most "unstealable" bikes I ever saw was in Toulouse.

The wheel rims were painted a day-glow orange with each spoke painted to match the frame and forks which were painted a kaleidoscope of seven different colours in 1" bands. allthumbz allthumbz

"Yes!" it could actually be stolen .... tap_fingers tap_fingers

.... but the work involved in making it not stand out like a sore thumb would probably make it just not worth the bother. Whistle1 Whistle1

The downside was that the distinctiveness of the bike made the rider look like a clown, even without make-up! hugegrinshugegrins

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:11 pm

In our days in Africa car theft was a big problem. There were various mechanical things that could be removed to immobilise your car but the best method was to fit a spring loaded cross- bow bolt deep into the driver's seat. When we had our bikes stolen I have to admit to wondering if we could adapt this idea.

Incidentally, those bikes had been carried, uncovered, on the back of the van for almost 20 years with no suggestion of attempted theft. It has made us a bit leery of leaving them when we are out on them though.

Quilter

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:16 am

Hi there,

In Victorian times a spring-loaded 9" sharpened steel spike, that could be set to shoot up out of the bike saddle after a few yards of cycling, wasn't granted its Patent by the Patent Office.

Apparently, the Patent Office was concerned that Owners of such a device could forget and inflict serious injury on themselves.

i.e. they were NOT worried that it might kill or maim a thief! wave wave

Changed times eh? Whistle1Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: