The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Towing v Trailer

+12
stoneb
Charliefarlie
yammy
Gromit
bikeralw
David.S
iank
Angel6855
PLOUGHLIN
gemdeco
Dutto
Gadabout
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Towing v Trailer - Page 2 Empty Re: Towing v Trailer

Post by yammy Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Masai Warrior wrote:Thanks Yammy, yes when we were on the CC site at West Runton, Norfolk recently we saw someone with a long motorhome hitch up to smart car with an A frame and it looked remarkably easy. Is there a problem reversing with an A frame? We may look into the possibility of an A frame at the NEC Show in October.

Pete
Hi Pete

Yes, go to the Nec and you will be able to get loads of info on A frame towing. You can NOT reverse with A Frame  and if anyone says they can then they must be extremely clever and well above the ability of your average tower !!  i use the "Car-A-Tow" system.
good luck , its definitely worth it.
cheers
Robin
yammy
yammy

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP TB
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:19 pm

yammy wrote:
Masai Warrior wrote:Thanks Yammy, yes when we were on the CC site at West Runton, Norfolk recently we saw someone with a long motorhome hitch up to smart car with an A frame and it looked remarkably easy. Is there a problem reversing with an A frame? We may look into the possibility of an A frame at the NEC Show in October.

Pete
Hi Pete

Yes, go to the Nec and you will be able to get loads of info on A frame towing. You can NOT reverse with A Frame  and if anyone says they can then they must be extremely clever and well above the ability of your average tower !!  i use the "Car-A-Tow" system.
cheers
Robin

Cany you please explain why you cannot reverse with an A frame ?

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:31 pm

yammy wrote:

Pete
Hi Pete

cheers
Robin
Smart Tow, Car-a-Tow and Tow-Bars 2 Tow-Cars all think you can. But it doesn't look ideal, scrubbing the tyres against the castor angle. It is a legal requirement that any trailer can be reversed. Whether the driver is capable is a different question.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by yammy Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi Peter L

I have to apologise to everyone and eat humble pie after watching your video on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnlAzUqWgwk showing that reversing with an A frame is possible, it looked quite simple if you do it slowly and carefully. The next time i am towing i will try to reverse, thank you very much, i have just learnt something. cheers
Robin.
yammy
yammy

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP TB
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:55 pm

I agree with Barry on this one. Been motorhoming since 1996 and had small vans, medium coachbuilt, carried a motorbike, cycles, etc. Now we keep it simple: nothing to tow and use public transport if available but frequently take the van off site. Nuevo EK and at 18 feet 9, rarely have I struggled to find somewhere to park.
merv

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2