Collect at last

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Collect at last

Post by Scratch on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:13 am

Hello everybody.

Well we now have the Talisman which was collected yesterday up! the previous owner, having gone through just about everything with me from top to bottom, it's a lot to get your head around when we are new to this motor homing business shrugg Can any of you experienced MH owners tell me where to start with just about everything as we really don't want to go anywhere without some knowledge on exactly what we are doing.....or making a fool of ourselves snigger whilst everyone watches snigger as the saying goes, you have to learn somewhere ha! ha! any tips that you might have will be most welcome

Ian
Scratch

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Collect at last

Post by gemdeco on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:42 am

Hi Ian
    Forget the rest and just enjoy your selves,if you have a motorhome show near your with a rally on go to that as you will find stalls selling every thing you have forgotton
   be lucky
    Alan
gemdeco

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Surrey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:50 am

Hi Ian
If you have a look through the topics on the forum you will find some fact sheets and other info regarding your query.
Hope you have a great time in your van.
Happy Hoildays 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f on Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Go to a site near you for a couple of nights. Hook up the electric, turn on the gas and go from there. If you need to know anything ask the site owner. They are usually very nice. Oh!!! Get a fire/CO2 alarm for your own safety but hide it when you cook as they seem to go off with smoke around. Funny that!!!!
Enjoy yourselves    wave
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bagabargin on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:28 pm

All the above, and take the previous owners phone number with you just in case you can't remember something ! We rang ours on our first night cos we couldn't remember how to put the gas heating on !
Bagabargin

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:59 pm

Thank you everyone for all the comments / suggestions very welcome allthumbz 

Another question if I may to all of the more experienced MH owners. As I only collected our MH on Sunday, I was going through the piles of info / receipts / service records etc and noticed that a service is possible due. I contacted our local Peugeot dealer to check on possible service charges, gave the service manager the make,model, year and engine size (2.5 diesel). To my surprise, the service manager came back to me and said they only do a 2.0 2.2 & 2.8 and not a 2.5 !! so now im thinking, where did the seller on the Talisman get 2.5 from ? have asked the question but as yet no reply ?? if this is the case then surly it would come under the sale of good act and I have only just got the MH ???
Scratch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:45 pm

Any garage should be able to service your van for you.
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by easylifer on Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi,

If they cannot even identify that there most definitely was a 2.5diesel in a Boxer then I would not trust them to perform a service.

Take a weekend away before worrying about anything, it really is quite simple.

David
easylifer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:19 pm

Find a nearby site, drive it there, park up, connect leccy, put awning out, put chairs and tables under awning, open bottle of wine, forget your problems.

hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:33 pm

The 2.5 and 2.5td were the most popular engines in the AS vans of that era. Like others have said avoid that dealer they know nothing if they were not aware of these engines.    We have a member who was ex Peugeot UK and if John sees this feel sure he will confirm what has been said

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:04 pm

Thanks Roger for sharing that allthumbz I only called the dealer to check out servicing costs and that's what they came back with shrugg 
Not sure about this one. The engine seems a tad noisy, lots of ticking and quite loud in the cab, should this be the case scratch head
Scratch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:46 am

Pardon? ('95 Exec/Boxer 2.5D here)  hugegrins
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:11 am

They were not the quietist of engines but were solid and generally reliable. I guess its got a few miles on the clock now.

There has been a recent post on the forum about using BP Ultimate  Diesel (& other super diesels)

There is a 1996 - 2.5td in our family which is getting close if not alraedy reached the 200,000 mile mark and its a bit noisey but BP Ultimate makes it run quieter.  I would trust that motor to take me anywhere I wanted.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:46 am

Hello Roger. Yes, it has 77k on the clock, but I suppose that's relativley low for the year, might be good idea to check around for the ultimate diesel and see what difference that makes up! the previous owner had already put 3/4 in the tank for my return journey.
Scratch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:45 pm

roli wrote:They were not the quietist of engines but were solid and generally reliable. I guess its got a few miles on the clock now.

There has been a recent post on the forum about using BP Ultimate  Diesel (& other super diesels)

There is a 1996 - 2.5td in our family which is getting close if not alraedy reached the 200,000 mile mark and its a bit noisey but BP Ultimate makes it run quieter.  I would trust that motor to take me anywhere I wanted.

Funnily enough, after reading the forum post about BP Ultimate and Shell V Power, I decided to try some in my Volvo V50 to see what effect it has on noise and mpg.

I've done around 450 miles in the last couple of days, mixed motorway, town and NSL roads.

It's definitely noticeably quieter, less clatter, and I'm finding it easier to achieve high 40s mpg, although this might be due to the higher temperatures in the morning and during the day (I used to notice better mpg during the summer in my Merc CLK too).

Christine has agreed that we should try a tankful in the van, to see whether we can improve on the (seemingly permanent) 25mpg on the way down to the ferry for our hols.
meanchris

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:00 pm

Thanks Chris, good info. Will probably try a tankful myself of one or the other just to see what response I get in terms of quietness and maybe slightly more mpg. Hope you are going somewhere nice for hols up! we will probably try a couple of days somewhere just to get used to the MH as I have not mastered any of it  yet shrugg
Scratch

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum